• Advertisement
Kiehberg.in -  Outdoor gear and sports equipment

Is a weapon really required for self protection in India?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby aadhaulya » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 pm

Vikram wrote:I think keeping a firearm for protection is a practical choice. The confidence it gives for the safety of the family is great. There are many places in this fair country of ours that make keeping a firearm handy desirable. Not a case of looking for a nail to hammer. Rather, it is a case of keeping an insurance just in case.


Vikram, I totally agree with you. It sure gives one a lot of confidence. One is prepared for the worst, also when someone like me also likes to carry.

harshit89 wrote:I have never faced a situation like that when I need to mess up with some burgler or thief. I carry a folding knife and gun for my outdoors but really never had the chance to use them.

One more thing I want to bring to your notice that self defence weapons are carried by the people who wish to carry them.


Harshit, Let me rephrase my original question as follows

Has any one, or some one known to you, faced a situation where there was an urgent requirement to be armed?? By 'urgent' I mean that there was no time to dial 100 as normally in Delhi cops reach the spot in less than 15 to 20 minutes.


Regards

Atul



For Advertising mail webmaster
User avatar
essdee1972
Posts: 1195
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:54 pm
Location: Mumbai, Maharashtra

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby essdee1972 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

Atul, to answer, once I was being chauffeured on a state highway in Maharashtra. The chauffeur overtook 3 guys on bikes, who seemed keen on hogging the road, with a few loud honks. Those guys started after us. 5 of them, 3 bikes. Shouting to us to stop, with lots of colourful language thrown in. Luckily for me, the guy was great at high speeds - could make my old Tata Indigo dance a samba. And also luckily, none of the bikes were Hayabusas or similar, and we didn't run into traffic, where bikes are always at an advantage.

If we had been caught, I am rather sure I would have needed a gun, to exhibit if not to use. I started keeping pepper sprays, sjambok, and PVC-pipe-filled-with-spent-pellets in the car only after this incident.

And on a state highway, probably God wouldn't be able to say when the cops would turn up.


Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby aadhaulya » Thu May 28, 2015 1:26 pm

essdee1972 wrote:Atul, to answer, once I was being chauffeured on a state highway in Maharashtra. The chauffeur overtook 3 guys on bikes, who seemed keen on hogging the road, with a few loud honks. Those guys started after us. 5 of them, 3 bikes. Shouting to us to stop, with lots of colourful language thrown in. Luckily for me, the guy was great at high speeds - could make my old Tata Indigo dance a samba. And also luckily, none of the bikes were Hayabusas or similar, and we didn't run into traffic, where bikes are always at an advantage.

If we had been caught, I am rather sure I would have needed a gun, to exhibit if not to use. I started keeping pepper sprays, sjambok, and PVC-pipe-filled-with-spent-pellets in the car only after this incident.

And on a state highway, probably God wouldn't be able to say when the cops would turn up.

:agree: One of my friends also got kidnapped on a state highway in Haryana. They started discussing among themselves if they should kill him. Finally they took his mobile and wallet after driving around for a few hours and threw him out of the car and vanished with his car.
I am sure that it must have been a scary experience for both of you and felt the need of a weapon at that time. But nothing like this has been observed within the city.

Regards

Atul



SMJ
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby SMJ » Thu May 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Hello Mr Atul- i guess your merely seeking opinion's from fellow IFG'ians.
To answer the subject line and point one - yes I believe with changing mind sets, rising crimes, people getting violent at the drop of a hat and criminals being accorded political patronage I DO believe a weapon is now necessary for self protection in India. However I am sure all will agree that it requires very responsible use.
As some of the gentlemen have pointed out that if one can get out of a situation without the use of a weapon either using your feet to run if necessary or by using the best weapon of all - a calm mind one should of course :D Just my two bits worth....
Regarding points 2 and 3 - I do not of anyone else who carries weapons- a lot of my friends are averse to guns or knives and think I am a bit of my rocker in this regard :lol:



aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby aadhaulya » Thu May 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Dear SMJ,

You are absolutely correct that I am merely seeking an opinion.
I believe that in Big Metro cities it is not required rather I have not come across any one who needed a weapon when in the city.
Now I feel that some people do carry some sort of weapon other than guns. I always carry a gun not because I felt the need for it till now but because I like the feel of the gun besides it gives additional confidence, as at this age I can't run away from danger very fast or for that matter fast also.

Regards

Atul



SMJ
Posts: 379
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby SMJ » Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Mr Atul, and hope you never have to either (y) but I guess as one of the gentleman in this forums's signature states "its better to have one and not need one than to need one and not have one"
I love guns purely from a hunting perspective i.e. to say my love for rifles and shotguns is more Corbett and Anderson inspired rather than self defense but I agree it is important to be armed if one can. Just to clarify, I am aware hunting is banned and I am averse to shooting even rats! I do not currently own firearms but like a lot of people here I hope to soon.
You are correct when you say that some people do carry some sort of "weapon" with them - personally I admit to having a baseball bat in my car but fortunately for me I have also never felt the need to use it and hope I never have to either!



Chandan22
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby Chandan22 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:38 pm

Hello,

I have a thought... I carry my gun because I like to, because it makes me feel safe and I would be remiss if I didn't admit that there is a secret thrill and macho feel that one gets. However, I also realise that some of the reasons are not neccessarily the right ones. There are instances when there is this fantasy of pulling out the gun to resolve something exceptionally minor. That sense of ultimate power a gun bestows does have a corrupting influence. And so yes, there are times when I'm afraid I'm not doing the right thing by carrying.

However, the world is messing up. Toddlers being raped, people being bludgeoned to death, violence on something so irrelevant as parking... I'm not insane if I want to protect myself from this. And having a gun is the surest protection from such eventualities.

The caveat here remains whether I will use it, and if I use it, or even brandish it, will I be legally in the right? I have been shown an incident in Delhi where a fight outside a bar took a dangerous turn when one person took out a knife and would have stabbed someone. Another person then pulled out his gun and only aimed it at the knife wielder, asking him to desist. This stopped the fight. However, the person pulling out the gun is also being prosecuted for using a deadly weapon and disproportionate force. Despite the fact that he never fired the gun !! So our laws and justifiable use are random, unpredictable and not always dependable.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure if I should carry, or whether I need to carry, but I prefer to carry and probably there may come a time in my life when this carrying might save my life.. or if I'm unlucky put me in more trouble than I can handle. Till then, I'll go with the passion angle and say I like carrying it and its a hobby.

~C



aadhaulya
Posts: 1174
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India

Postby aadhaulya » Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Chandan22 wrote:Hello,

I have a thought... I carry my gun because I like to, because it makes me feel safe and I would be remiss if I didn't admit that there is a secret thrill and macho feel that one gets. However, I also realise that some of the reasons are not neccessarily the right ones. There are instances when there is this fantasy of pulling out the gun to resolve something exceptionally minor. That sense of ultimate power a gun bestows does have a corrupting influence. And so yes, there are times when I'm afraid I'm not doing the right thing by carrying.

However, the world is messing up. Toddlers being raped, people being bludgeoned to death, violence on something so irrelevant as parking... I'm not insane if I want to protect myself from this. And having a gun is the surest protection from such eventualities.

The caveat here remains whether I will use it, and if I use it, or even brandish it, will I be legally in the right? I have been shown an incident in Delhi where a fight outside a bar took a dangerous turn when one person took out a knife and would have stabbed someone. Another person then pulled out his gun and only aimed it at the knife wielder, asking him to desist. This stopped the fight. However, the person pulling out the gun is also being prosecuted for using a deadly weapon and disproportionate force. Despite the fact that he never fired the gun !! So our laws and justifiable use are random, unpredictable and not always dependable.

So in a nutshell, I'm not sure if I should carry, or whether I need to carry, but I prefer to carry and probably there may come a time in my life when this carrying might save my life.. or if I'm unlucky put me in more trouble than I can handle. Till then, I'll go with the passion angle and say I like carrying it and its a hobby.

~C


Chandan,

The precise reason that I carry a gun (Love the feel of the gun, besides adding confidence). But drawing it may account to threatening with a deadly weapon. And you would get into unnecessary hassles that are difficult and time consuming to sort out.
Again, this is also the reason I carry it openly, I do not have to draw it to let the other person know that I am armed.

Regards

Atul



Mihir
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:30 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India?

Postby Mihir » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:09 am

I believe carrying a weapon is necessary with the rising crime. I do carry a cold steel XL ESPADA in my laptop bag which always go with me everywhere.the sheer size of the knife will act as a deterrent to conflict I believe.

Sadly none of the people I know carry any sort of weapon with them.



chicky
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 am
Location: New Delhi

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India?

Postby chicky » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:03 pm

Dear Aadhaulya,

Very valid point and I too carry my revolver , sometimes and at some places. However the big question is , how many of us , baring a few , will have the presence of mind and the the guts to open fire when the time comes. My uncle died in the hands of rioters, with his double barrel barely a few feet from him, in an almirah...he didn't have the opportunity to use it or shall I say "presence of mind".
In lighter vein ....when Banta Singh's house got burgled, the thiefs took away everything but for the revolver the he had kept under his pillow. When Santa asked him why didn't he use it...Banta said they would have taken that too...thus he lay very still , faking sleep while the thiefs were looting. :D
But having said that, I do agree, in some places and States in India, it is almost essential to have and carry arms...as a deterrent.

Best regards,

Chicky


"One can never know how far he can go and reach, until he starts running "

goodboy_mentor
Posts: 2887
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Is a weapon really required for self protection in India?

Postby goodboy_mentor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:09 pm

chicky wrote:My uncle died in the hands of rioters, with his double barrel barely a few feet from him, in an almirah...he didn't have the opportunity to use it or shall I say "presence of mind".
Would not comment about why your uncle was unable to use the gun since I do not know exactly what happened or what his thoughts were. Some people have a habit to keep the main door open or unlocked during day time. Sometimes the doors or windows are too weak to even withstand a few kicks or force of few attackers. Most probably the attackers were suddenly able to barge in even before he could realize what was happening.

Why some people are unable to react to sudden violence? Most probable reasons I can think of -

1) Too much or unreasonable trust in the government or police.
2) false sense of security, a thinking that such an "inhuman" act is not possible or a thought that the attackers will have "mercy"
3) taken by surprise, not mentally or physically prepared. Unable to take a decision that the final moment has arrived and before dying kill as many attackers as possible
4) inadequate weapons or ammunition with all family members to stand their ground till last breath
5) kind of societal Stockholm syndrome towards attackers or oppressors. Those who are not aware of what societal Stockholm syndrome is, just search the internet for "societal Stockholm syndrome"


"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992


Return to “Self defence/ Home defence”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest