best self defence tool

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: best self defence tool

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 pm

Any edged or pointed thing can be a good self defence tool. But one must also learn martial arts like taekwondo (my favourite), krav maga etc. because it makes us quick to react.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

For Advertising mail webmaster
essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:37 am

As mentioned earlier, discretion is the greater part of valour.

Don't go to places where you might be at risk. I have had long verbal battles with people, esp. of the fairer sex, who are very keen to exercise their fundamental right to go anywhere ant any time and wear anything and eat/drink/smoke anything. If you (like me) prefer to be safe than be an aware citizen, please exercise your discretion! Be a coward when bravery is just an ego massager.

If you are new to a place and someone tells you not to do something or go somewhere, listen. He probably has good reasons to say it.

Be always ready to say "sorry". On the road, in the local train, in crowded roads, etc. Don't give in to road rage. If someone is charging up in your rearview mirror, flashing his lights and honking, either speed up or get out of the way. If the car behind is much bigger and far more expensive than yours, just get out of the way! Long back I had read about a case when some young people thrashed a guy to death because he had "dared" to overtake their spanking new luxury automobile in his older, cheaper car!

Never, never, never air your political views in public, loudly. Chap I know once got thoroughly thrashed for speaking against a political party in a bar. He didn't know, poor fellow, that the district president of that party was on the next table!! Similarly, don't air your (negative) opinions about any group, religion, region, language, country, etc. Let's face it - all of us have some bias or the other. If you really need to use strong language against say, Eskimos, do it in the relative safety of your drawing room, and make sure there isn't any Eskimo within hearing distance. Any Eskimo on this forum please forgive me! And I actually meant Innuit.

If you do have the time and energy left at the end of a day of work and commute, do try to get some cardio. Also some basic martial arts like krav maga. More "technical" martial arts are not always possible to master unless you start young or can dedicate lots of time.

If push does come to shove, hit and hit hard. I have noticed (in myself as well as others) that many people tend to "brake" a strike at the very end. Don't. Like the SF soldiers, use the heel of the hand. Not the fist. Use any and everything you can to fight. Bite, scratch. You might feel like a small kid, but very few people can withstand the pain of a pair of jaws clamping down on even a small thing like a finger.

I would have also mentioned about quitting smoking if you do smoke, but seeing that I am not able to quit myself, I would be rather embarrassed to ask people to quit!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:11 pm

Just read through all the replies including mine. No one mentions the law or its keepers as something they trust their defense with. I understand that the law and its keepers are not going to be omni present to protect everyone of us, but no one even made a passing mention that they would dial "100" should the need arise. Food for thought? :P
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Dial 100!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

No, this ain't me laughing at the very thought, but the bad guys laughing when they see their intended victim dial 100.
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

Raghvendrasingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Raghvendrasingh » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:41 am

Hey kshitij
In my opinion dialling 100 is the foolest thing because there are many incidents occurred in front of police , they even didn't interfere. I don't know much about rest of india but in u.p. situations are really bad. So i will go with my own self defense preparations.
....brave by heart, honest by nature and wicked by brain.....

dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dr.jayakumar » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:42 pm

friends i found this one recently,should be a better choice than a pepper spray.a flashlight stun gun.https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1109,d.c2E
regards
dr.jk

harshit89
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by harshit89 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:11 pm

At the present time there are many self defence tools like pepper spray, knife, and your hands can also be the best for self defence
Keep knives in your pocket and pray that you will never need it

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:54 am

Kshitij, on a serious note, this forum is made up of people who are, on an average, relatively more aware of self-defense, guns, weapons, etc. than the average Indian. I am sure many non-IFGians you ask are likely to mention "100" as an option.
Cheers!

EssDee

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu May 14, 2015 12:29 pm

You can sure try dialing 100 and politely ask the assailants to wait while you navigate through the IVR options. .....! IF YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE......PLS PRESS 1......TO ENTER THE 16DIGIT AL. No. Of THE ATTACKER.......PLS PRESS 2..............ROFL :)
"...there is no spoon..."!

kshitij
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by kshitij » Thu May 14, 2015 12:59 pm

I have only ever dialled 100 once in my life. There was an old woman lying by the side of the road on the sion-panvel highway and since i was in a rush i couldnt stop and assit. Called 100 to ask them to reach help. The call was answered within the first two rings and the operator told me that someone had already called it in and help was on its way. Dont know what finally happened to the lady but the operator seemed to be aware and enthusiastic in resolving the issue.
Would i dial 100 if i come under attack? I guess it would depend on how badly i end up dealing with the attacker. May rather have to dial 102 for him 8)
Lock, Stock and Barrel.

astronomy.domaine
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by astronomy.domaine » Thu May 14, 2015 10:01 pm

kshitij wrote:I have only ever dialled 100 once in my life. There was an old woman lying by the side of the road on the sion-panvel highway and since i was in a rush i couldnt stop and assit. Called 100 to ask them to reach help. The call was answered within the first two rings and the operator told me that someone had already called it in and help was on its way. Dont know what finally happened to the lady but the operator seemed to be aware and enthusiastic in resolving the issue.
Would i dial 100 if i come under attack? I guess it would depend on how badly i end up dealing with the attacker. May rather have to dial 102 for him 8)
Kshitij, as you mentioned in the old woman's case, calling 100 is a considerable option as a reactive measure. They can provide valuable assistance in dealing with the situation post an incident has taken place. Unlike 911, police assistance on 100 does not have a target reaction time that they are required to meet in an emergency. 10-15 mins may be a very good response time from Indian standards but its more than enough for an assailant to do his deed and scoot from the scene.
"...there is no spoon..."!

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Fri May 15, 2015 12:01 am

The broccoli with bean curd and cheese sauce I had for dinner the night before :)

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri May 15, 2015 7:30 am

astronomy.domaine wrote:
kshitij wrote:I have only ever dialled 100 once in my life. There was an old woman lying by the side of the road on the sion-panvel highway and since i was in a rush i couldnt stop and assit. Called 100 to ask them to reach help. The call was answered within the first two rings and the operator told me that someone had already called it in and help was on its way. Dont know what finally happened to the lady but the operator seemed to be aware and enthusiastic in resolving the issue.
Kshitij, as you mentioned in the old woman's case, calling 100 is a considerable option as a reactive measure. They can provide valuable assistance in dealing with the situation post an incident has taken place. Unlike 911, police assistance on 100 does not have a target reaction time that they are required to meet in an emergency. 10-15 mins may be a very good response time from Indian standards but its more than enough for an assailant to do his deed and scoot from the scene.
:agree: @kshitij, I have called 100 on a number of occasions. There has always been a good and prompt response. The nearest PCR reach you in about 10 minutes and they also call back in between to confirm that they are on the way (at least in Delhi they do so).
But it is definitely not a self defence tool. As in self defence you need to take an instant decision, even before you think about pulling out your phone.

Regards

Atul

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:35 am

Never had to call 100 (thank God!). But called 101 (Fire) once. There was a fire in the building where my wife's office (centre for IT training) is located, at 3 a.m. Since she was centre manager, she obviously had to go, and since it was 3 a.m., I (again obviously) had to accompany her. When we reached, the Fire Brigade had already done its job and left. Going inside the office (2nd floor), we saw some sparks from an electric junction / meter box. I called 101. This is what happened. (dialogue translated from Hindi/Marathi)

<5-6 rings>
Sleepy voice: Hellooooo. Fire Brigade.
Me: Sir, I am calling from Thane and there was a fire......
Sleepy: (interrupts) Where?
Me: Sir, Thane.
Sleepy: 100 is only for Mumbai, for Thane you have to dial XXXXXXXX (8 digit number).

The guy was generous enough to repeat the number. And the Thane Fire Brigade chaps came in within 5 minutes. No issues on response, IN THIS SCENARIO. (In a self defense scenario, this response time would have been unacceptable.)

My issue is, Why in the name of all that is holy, can't we have a single, 911-type number for every emergency?????? And why do we have 101 for Mumbai and something else for outlying districts?

This was a long time ago, and my information is that now 101 works everywhere. But even apart from that, there is a plethora of numbers you need to call. Some good samaritans on FaceBook and WhatsApp keep sending these lists regularly. Crime against women, 8 digits, crime against elderly, another 8, against children, 8 more, heart attack, again 8. You even have news items "XM inaugurates new helpline for women between 40-50, having broken bones in the legs, due to fall from public transport". (X can be prime, chief, home, etc.). Usually this would be the Chief or State Home Minister, as even different states have different numbers for the same emergency!!

And can you believe it, Googling for "emergency number in India" gives the news articles where TRAI has mooted 112 for a single number (I hope I will be alive and less than 100 years old when that comes up). There is nary a comprehensive list in the first page, apart from some private blogs & websites. The govt should at least have a paid page which lists each & every government helpline number. Pay Google and they will show it on top.

Imagine an old lady alone at home, fallen from her bed, trying first to decide whether she is having a heart attack or a broken pelvis or both, and then to select the proper number, and finally to dial with shaky fingers! And God help her if she normally lives in Mumbai, but is at her sister's place in Kolkata when the accident occurs!

We have so much over-staffing in the sarkaari jobs. Why can't we put in a single-number helpline (not more than 3 digits), where all these surplus manpower are used as dispatchers? Heck, there are even lots of educated unemployed in this country who will get two of the most coveted jobs in one - call center, and sarkaari!

......... Rant over..........

Sorry for taking the thread seriously off topic, but since 100 came up in the context of SD, I thought the issue of a plethora of emergency numbers needs to be highlighted.
Cheers!

EssDee

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri May 15, 2015 10:33 am

LOL @ Tim's post.
However, it is true.

I used to run Track and Cross Country as a kid but don't think I can run quite that fast or as far anymore.
So I try to maintain my situational awareness at all time. It is easy to get complacent, though.

You'll be surprised at what can be used as a weapon when you are in fear for your life.
A deadly weapon is a last resort, when everything else has failed.

Here in the USA, you call 911 for emergencies, no matter where you are.
I've only called them once but the two cops on duty for our town were, sitting in another town, about 15 miles away.
Response time was something like 20 minutes. The drunk miscreant had disappeared by then.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941