Bulletproof Vests

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:39 am

Grumpy

The three key cities or towns for Northern Idaho have twin sister WA towns for example, Spokane and Couer D Alene, Pullman ( Wash State Univ) and Moscow ID, Lewiston is just divided by Snake / Columbia river. This could explain common TV coverage for WA/ID. The weather around Pullman and Lewiston is quite different than Seattle. Its great country up there and it gets prettier as one goes towards Canadian border. Rest redneck can elaborate.

Redneck

Standard Police issue in India is local made copy of HP 35 Browning, some state polices have Glocks 19 or 17 in 9mm and off course fair share off revolvers Webley in . 38. .45 or Colts, Rugers. Basically, officers have choice of picking up any gun available in the local or state police armory. I knew a chap who had Mauser Hsc.

Best

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Bulletproof Vests

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:55 am

Navi, the probable reasons for the joint public service TV channel are economics and Geography - neither State is particularly populous.......especially not Idaho.
And yes, I know the weather is different away from the coast - I was talking specifically about Seattle. I`ve been to Lewiston ( you know that ) ( and Spokane if it comes to that ) but know Salmon and McCall better.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:34 am

Grumps

Thanks for reminding, just throwing my 2c, simply obsessed with that area. McCall is probably the finest scenery I have ever seen.

Best

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:36 am

Grumpy, I work in the Pierce county area, just south of Tacoma, bunch of suburban communities that stretch for about 10mile or so. Yup, our cars are wired for our dept. issued laptops. We can get in the internet in the car if needed/wanted, check e-mail, whathaveya. Primarily we use a first class computer dispatching system to access the information people give to the emergency dispatchers and to check driver's status and vehicle plates.

Yup the west side of the state gets a lot of rain starting this time of year, can get to ya after a while, but the summers here are great, everything is green and the weather is mild (much like what I experienced in Scotland while I was there), rarely gets above 90 in summer. Never seen the public service channel you mention. I have relatives in Spokane and like it there. East side has a completely different environment. However, you can get first class coffee anywhere in the state, I am a certified coffee snob, got used to the good stuff and can't go back to folgers or maxwell house.

So, no importing of non-Indian gun into India, so my suggestion of purchasing a Mossberg 590 to one of your guys wouldn't fly. It does sound like you have some makers of fine weapons there, but it sounds like an expensive hobby to own or collect firearms there.

I would like to travel to India and fish there sometime, but it will have to wait till my kids are out of school, maybe when I retire. I'll probably just have to suffer with Alaska a time or two until then :wink: .

Happy Day to ya

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:04 am

Yeah, coffee is serious business in Seattle especially and invariably very good......although some of the offerings are just plain weird - or disgusting if you prefer. Coffee has improved dramatically here in recent years - which was necessary as most Brits couldn`t make decent coffee to save their lives - I mean, it`s soooo difficult. :wink: To give you some idea, there`s a cafe in Glastonbury called the `Mocha Berry`! Now that`s an interesting hybrid ! :lol:
I used to have a friend who lived in Tacoma.......Haven`t heard from her in ages........not since she discovered men. LOL
Yes, the Indians have real problems with the acquision of firearms with an almost total import ban. Prices are therefore sky high......especially for modern handguns although any old crap makes stupid money - imagine, $3500 for a crappy old Spanish Ruby ! A decent S&W can easily make three or four times that.
I don`t know about there being any makers of `fine` weapons in India......that de.scription will have some of the members here snorting into their coffee ( Shut up penpusher ! )
I haven`t made it to India either.
It`s a shame about you having to `suffer` with Alaska - one of the places that I really want to visit. The other is Scandinavia - I`d like to hunt above the Arctic circle in Norway, Sweden or Finland. Don`t really know why I haven`t yet - especially as my wife wants to go Whale watching again - Alaska or Norway would be great for that !

Navi, the friends whose daughter I mentioned is at the University of Washington live in McCall. I know that you really enjoyed the time you spent in Idaho but have you seen McCall in winter ?

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:55 am

I have yet to hunt in Alaska, but may get my chance. I have a good friend that lives across the street from me and he is a pilot for Alaska airlines. He has taken me up there three times now and we both want to go caribou hunting up there. One of the places we are seriously considering for that would be Kotzubue, which lies just above the arctic circle. air fare there would be free, but we would then have to hire a bush plane to truck us out to where we would hunt. All in all an affordable hunt since we can outfit ourselves and wouldn't have to hire a guide.

Now considering the state of coffee in GB, its probably like getting a good cup in New Jersey, you would have to hunt it down. I had an over night layover in Glascow in 95 and ordered coffee with my room service breakfast (Hey the navy was paying). I was very surprised when they brought up an French Press, (which I consider to be the best way to make coffee). It was very good, considering I wasn't able to find a decent cup of the stuff in all of Cambeltown the week prior. Have you been able to hunt the red deer there or is that such an expensive matter that it excludes most people?

I haven't been through Mcall, but have been through other parts of Idaho and find it beautiful too, and it gets mighty cold in winter. I was hunting outside of Butte Montana (similar climate to Idaho) a fews years ago in late November. It got up to 10 degrees F, during the day. Great hunting though. Any of you guys ride horses? We use them to pack all kinds of good gear and food on our yearly hunting trips up in the mountains, nothing better than eating peach cobbler up in the wilderness, when most other guys are eating dehydrated noodles.

Happy Day

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:40 pm

I`ve never shot Red Deer in Scotland but have taken one locally and one on Exmoor in North Devon.
I don`t shoot Red Deer around here any more - there aren`t that many of them in this part of Somerset, I don`t like the venison very much and they are so big that they fill up the freezers !
Around here we have ( here comes my famous - notorious ? - list ):
Red Deer;
Sika;
Fallow;
Melanistic Fallow;
Fallow/Sika crosses;
Roe;
and Muntjac.
- And plenty of them.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:12 am

Grumpy

I was in McCall in late winter also, yup it snows a lot, winter is something.

Best

SinghIsTheKing
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by SinghIsTheKing » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:38 am

Hello!!!
I'll go crazy.

Why on the earth Bulletproof vests are illigal in India?

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:45 am

SinghIsTheKing";p="32164 wrote:Hello!!!
I'll go crazy.

Why on the earth Bulletproof vests are illigal in India?
Because its INDIA!!!!! :)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:58 am

To prevent hot blooded Northern males from playing paint ball with firearms. :-)

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:43 pm

"To prevent hot blooded Northern males from playing paint ball with firearms."

Had to think about that........but it finally trickled through. :lol:

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:37 am

I found this Indian Company which produces amongst other things Bullet proof jackets and even lasers

http://www.securemobileindia.com/jackets1.htm

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:33 am

ngrewal";p="36257 wrote:I found this Indian Company which produces amongst other things Bullet proof jackets and even lasers

http://www.securemobileindia.com/jackets1.htm
Hi Ngrewal,

I happen to have one of those Laser aim-points lying somewhere around the house. The police here seems to have been conned into buying a batch of it some years back.(Or as usual some one in the chain of command must've gotten rich!).They are positively worthless junk. In fact the police stopped using it within a month. I got mine as a result...the dept never asked for it to be returned!!

The construction is plain aluminium. Poorly cast. Ill fitting plastic parts- which are also very poorly molded. Gaping gaps between ill fitting parts have been filled up by automobile putty and presumably painted with matte bumper paint. Uses a pair of Pencil batteries(AA).

It comes with adapter clamps for AK/SLR, INSAS, and Dragunov. All come loose before a magazine is expended. The screws, nuts, jam-nuts are reverse and more often than not, the wrong thing gets tightened or loosened. This is basically why they were promptly junked. No point (Pardon the pun) having a pointer that comes loose and doesn't point right.

The master switch is regular transistor type slide...which for no reason refuses to work often. The Laser is triggered by a remote switch on an elastic strap that can be looped on the fore grip of a rifle. The elastic is standard hosiery stuff, to which the rubber switch capsule is stuck with dendrite! The connection is with a telephone type cable and a small jack that looks like it was ripped out from a stereo headphone. The wire soldering at the capsule snapped a number of times.

The device comes with a kit in a poorly molded plastic 'tiffin-box'. The kit includes manual, pointer module, Adapters, 4 rechargeable batteries, charger, a Taparia plier(!), a screw driver, and a carrying pouch.

Hopeless thing... :)

Ok I know this is going OT...was just indulging in some verbal wank since the topic caught my interest... :mrgreen:

regards,
CC

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:37 pm

What I found more interesting was the 'Cartridge disfiguring machine'.Haven't the jokers at IOFB figured out that a rifle cartridge can be reloaded?