25 meters range for a defence handgun.

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: 25 meters range for a defence handgun.

Post by james » Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:11 pm

With limited ammo permitted in licence practice becomes difficult specially for a person who is not a shooter and keeps handgun for self defence ,Revolver are best suited as cocking pistol under setressfull situation is difficult and with little practice with 5meters to start with and subsiquently moving to 10meters can help. Confidence building and saving life is objective , .32 IOF Revolver /any 2inche snub nose with adequate practice can effectively do this .This is purely my openion .Pray to god that we use our handguns only in practice range .James..

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 am

As has been said previously and elsewhere in this forum, 1911 based pistols are carried `cocked and locked` in a duty situation and most contemporary centrefire semi-autos are `double action` and cocked on the first pull of the trigger. If neither type is available however a revolver IS easier - and safer ! - for use by the inexperienced.
It has to be said that the use of handguns for defensive purposes without training is usually quite ineffectual. If you don`t know what you are doing you are better off with a baseball bat.......and if you don`t know what you`re doing but THINK you do then you`re better off staying in bed !

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:25 pm

If i have to use a handgun, it would ( I am guessing hard here!) be JUST out of reach of the attacker.
I read that Massad Aayoob makes his students do a knife attack drill, where the attacker covers 21ft, to impress upon a firearm wielding , law abiding citizen, the real dangers faced in a knife attack.
While I have, and can break beer bottles at 75-80m with a steady 2 handed isoceles hold, i would still prefer the rapid draw, push the assailant away and begin the beguine.
In a realtime fracas, a brawl turns ugly-you decide whether you 'stay and play' or back off, unharmed if possible, life , wife and kids intact and live to laugh another day.
A handun is serious business and CCW carries enormous responsibilpity and vicarious liability in India.As the AP MLA who gate crashed into a kiddo's party at the deer park in Hydeabad ( and featured in yesterdays TOI) will soon learn, its really not the done thing to let off a couple of shots in the throes of a bacchanalian frenzy; pour encouragement les outres.
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:06 pm

Latin American dancing and use of the French language written - mostly in English - by an Indian with a Spanish user-name on an Indian website.
- How very cosmopolitan !
:wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:31 am

Grumpy,
Like I said, i'd like to talk my way out of it...tis a global village i'm told ;)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:34 pm

"Like I said, i'd like to talk my way out of it".

Oh yes, definitely............. but would any potential attacker understand what you were talking about ?
:wink: :lol:

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:59 pm

Grumpy";p="32026 wrote: "Like I said, i'd like to talk my way out of it".

Oh yes, definitely............. but would any potential attacker understand what you were talking about ?
:wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Might confuse hime enough to allow the good doctor to make a quick getaway though.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:37 pm

Ah, on the basis of `blinding with science` I suppose.......or `confounding with rhetoric` might be more appropriate. :lol:

`A quick getaway` though ? :wink:

I have this wonderful vision of an armed attacker standing alone on a street muttering to himself "What did he say ? Why didn`t I mug him ? Why does my brain hurt ? Where did he go ?"

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: