Will the Family Dog Protect Your Home?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
dr.jayakumar
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Will the Family Dog Protect Your Home?

Post by dr.jayakumar » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 am

[youtube][/youtube]

dogs hate snakes.this dog is almost blind.
regrads

For Advertising mail webmaster
Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:26 pm

Dr,i didnt see the video,hate seeing a dog mistreated. "DOGS HATE SNAKES"{ your point being-------} well Good Morning,snakes bite & kill a lot of people,doesnt it work out great for us that dogs do the job,protect family member, Boxie did his job,& if he was there he would do it again, saved a family member from a very bad & painful time.This might be news to you but an American Vet/Dog trainer in Sunderbans {Bangladesh side} is training Dogs to protect villagers near the fringe area from Man Eating Tigers.Dogs hate M.E Tigers too.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 pm

dr.jayakumar wrote: dogs hate snakes.this dog is almost blind.
regrads
Thanks for posting. This is a happy story. A snake catcher arrives, chases away the dogs, rescues the snake and releases it in a forest area elsewhere.

bhupi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bhupi » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Happy ending but not in all cases. That was the first time i stayed overnight at my village. A day before i removed his leash other wise i could have pulled him. But these are simply assumptions and realty is he is no more.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Video of Boxie when he was 1 year old playing with a foot ball, that was the exact place where he killed that snake.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am

Bhupi I can imagine your pain. Dogs become a member of the family and, frankly, keeping a dog simply to "protect your home" is like saying that my eyes are needed only for reading and nothing else. A dog is a gift from God who teaches humans in the family what selfless love means. When my wife heard the story of your boxie her first reaction was "I will never let our dog out of my sight".

Death by cobra is unusual, tragic and most unexpected. Sadly, here in Bangalore, too many owners lose dogs to traffic on busy roads because they do not realise that dogs cannot handle traffic. The "intelligent strays" who seem to understand traffic better than humans are simply dogs that survived, some after getting hurt. Mostly they die or they are maimed.

Amit357
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Amit357 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:02 pm

bhupi wrote:Happy ending but not in all cases. That was the first time i stayed overnight at my village. A day before i removed his leash other wise i could have pulled him. But these are simply assumptions and realty is he is no more.

[YouTube]

[/YouTube]

Video of Boxie when he was 1 year old playing with a foot ball, that was the exact place where he killed that snake.
Bhupi,i know words can't do anything much about your tragic loss,don't blame yourself for it,don't do it, "Boxie" wont be happy with that,God sent him to you for a purpose,he did that and now he is with some else for some other purpose,that's the Bossmans call,he is the best judge for that.My "Dusty" steered me away from a certain Financial Ruin.After he passed on,i used to find it difficult to come back to my house for a very time,a very wise man just told me that Dusty is needed else where, so now when i am off to the HAPPY HUNTING GROUND he will be there with me.{i have 100's of photo's of him with me,never look at them}Bhupi CHERISH THE MEMORY OF A LOVED ONE LOST,remember him,adopt a cpl of strays,feed them,give them shelter & dont let anyone mistreat them,i am sure you will find a lot of peace in doing that.Best Amit

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:08 pm

"Boxie" wherever you are - Your sacrifice is supreme in saving your master!
Words fail me to sing yout praise,
for your act from my memory will never erase!!!

Briha

bhupi
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by bhupi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:08 pm

brihacharan wrote:"Boxie" wherever you are - Your sacrifice is supreme in saving your master!
Words fail me to sing yout praise,
for your act from my memory will never erase!!!

Briha
:agree:

Thanks to all for your concern, and very true words Briha, exactly my feelings for Boxie.

Thanks
Bhupi

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Bhupi, and all those who have ever lost a canine family member....... found this poem by Lord Byron. Reportedly written for his Newfoundland, who died of rabies. Till the end, Byron nursed the dog, confident that he will not bite. This poem is on that dog's gravestone.
Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown to Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honors none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one -- and here he lies.
The comparison between dogs and men is, I must say, singularly apt!!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:15 pm

Also, American lawyer, George Graham Vest, fought a case in which an owner of a dog sued the sheep farmer who shot the poor pooch, as follows:
Gentlemen of the jury: The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.
Gentlemen of the jury: A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master's side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that come in encounters with the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens.
If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies, and when the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.
Link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Graham_Vest

Maybe these words will help me when it's time for my Jojo to go on to the Happy Hunting Grounds!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Vikram wrote:Hi Dev,

Are you checking it on your mobile phone? In my browser it looks OK and can watch it. Try this link

Hi Vikram,

Was trying the laptop as usual. The link you have given works.
I can't see the spitfire film either.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 pm

One almost never finds a cat lover on these forums.
:)
To Excellence through Diligence.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:25 am

ABM, cats don't love you back! (Although I recently rescued a kitten from being run over, took him to the doc, and fed him for two days, then he ran away!!)
Cheers!

EssDee

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:33 am

Actually, I would keep a cat cause they are zero maintenance. Then they don't knock you down with joy either. ;-)
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

this video is very interesting, this is definitely eye opener for the people who assume that keeping a dog will take care of things.