Will the Family Dog Protect Your Home?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Will the Family Dog Protect Your Home?

Post by BowMan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Hate Cats...

For Advertising mail webmaster
Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:19 am

I love the bigger ones.
Starting from snow leopard up....
To Excellence through Diligence.

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:51 am

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3065978/posts
Family dog sniffs out baby abuser, hidden tape leads to confession
My Fox Alabama ^ | 9/12/13 | Harve Jacobs

Posted on Thursday 12 September 2013 10:11:34 PM IST by SoFloFreeper

A couple says their dog sniffed out a baby abuser in their home, the woman who was supposed to be caring for their seven month old son.

The babysitter, 22-year-old Alexis Khan pleaded guilty to assault and battery Monday afternoon in Charleston County Circuit Court.

Benjamin and Hope Jordan hired Khan to babysit their son Finn last year after they moved to Charleston. They say Khan came up clean in a background check...

"About five months into her being our baby sitter, we started to notice that our dog was very protective of our son when she would come in the door," Jordan said...

[The couple placed] an I-phone under the couch and let the phone record what happens while they were at work.

When the couple got home, they listened to the tape and were horrified what they heard.

"It started with cussing," Jordan said. "Then you hear slap noises and his crying changes from a distress cry to a pain cry. I just wanted to reach through the audio tape, go back in time and just grab him up."

"To know that five months I had handed my child to a monster, not knowing what was going on in my house for that day," said Jordan.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Bennedose, this is the fabled sixth sense at work.

I remember reading some scientific jargon a long time back, as to how the pheromones (aka stink) emanated by a creature depends upon the hormones in the blood stream. Hence, a happy person smells differently from a sad one, and an angry person smells differently from a calm one. Animals use pheromones for understanding when a member of the opposite gender is ready for mating. Even some of the more expensive perfumes claim to use pheromones to mimic the scent of the "ready to mate" state. A rather unsafe practice, here in India, with so many men ready to foist their attentions on unsuspecting women, and to hell with pheromones!!!

Now for an animal, i.e. dogs, with a sense of smell a few thousand times more developed as humans, understanding the motive of someone through the "stink" received by his/her nose becomes quite easy. As they say, you can change your looks, there are even (rather painful) ways to change your fingerprints, but you can't disguise your smell from a dog!

This dog probably understood that the so-called bay sitter was inherently evil. The news item does not mention what breed it was, or whether it was chained up when the baby sitter was around. Many dogs would have left this couple at the end of a lawsuit for the babysitter being mauled by their pet! I know my puppy would have probably torn her apart.

I probably mentioned at some time that my Rottie likes to go after (in a playful way) friends of my kid who are scared of him. With other kids, he's normally friendly, but with the kids who are scared, he is over-friendly! Follows them to even to the furthest corners and on the bed! That's the fear pheromone at work! Except that generations of breeding and living with humans would have bred into the puppy that "humans are not prey" or "these kids are my friends, lemme just tease them".
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 am

Absolutely essdee. Dogs are more than just robots to protect one's house. The value addition of keeping a dog far exceeds the value of a time pass news item that claims to have "researched" whether dogs will or will not protect your home.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:10 am

bhupi wrote:Thanks to all, for your concern. Definitely he must be in peace and hunting those squirrels which was his favourite pastime.
Definitely Amit their's no other creature who could have done this. I was just few steps rather just 3 feets away from an angry snake who wants a safe passage and boxie was not allowing him move, by running around him and barking like hell, in the morning hours at 5.30 AM. I wake up and went out rubbing my eyes to leash Boxie and found myself in cobra's reach. He made a loud hiss sound, and in a matter of seconds attacked me, luckily i put my leg away and stepped back but was on the ground. Snake attacked me again but this time boxie was so fast and took the fangs in his mouth. there after it was dog & snake fight, which my boxie won by killing the snake and saving my life. My parents and i watched the whole episode, after killing the snake Boxie brought him near me and put it infront of my dad. He looked at me and my dad as if he was saying look boss i have done my job and within minutes he fell unconscious and never wake up. That was the first time i have seen my dad crying, and that too for Boxie a Dog.
One of the most touching stories I've read. I'm sure you/ your family must miss him terribly, may he find peace in the afterlife.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:39 am

Actually I believe the methodology is Incorrect...they needed to wait a bit longer till the intruder gets to the family refrigerator :wink:

I have reason to believe these canine pets always have strong reactions to refrigerators (that inexhaustible magical source of FOOD). Would the dog then growl at the intruder :roll: ? Or would he then conspire with the intruder and they would loot the fridge together :shock: ?

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Aloha,

At present we have 3 Australian Cattle Dogs.

One or two dogs can be physically manhandled by 2 criminals. 3 dogs is another story.
With 3 or more dogs, you have the dog equivalent of a "wolf pack".

Locally, home burglaries are usually committed by one (or rarely 2) persons.

At our previous home, they have been seen making teen age boys Freeze in place
plastered against vehicle parked on the street in front of our house when they hit
our chain link fence. You could see the chain link fence bow out when the dogs
bounced onto the fence.

We had a 6 feet high hollow tile wall installed around our present home. The wall replaced
an existing old wooden fence that the dogs could chew thru.

In the front yard, easily seen from the sidewalk are 3 large well used dog houses.

We also have this sign on the wall next to the gate leading into the house.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:06 am

Well you can also handle this scenario the same way this guy has:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... erous.html

Somehow I suspect he does not have much of a burglary problem.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:43 am

I agree with yogi - pack of dogs 2 plus can make a huge difference. In India especially on farms, best dogs are the local mutts / mixed breed/ pariah dogs rather than the expensive imported breeds at least per my experience. The local dogs are way less maintenance, durable and can be easily trained for guarding purposes. The smartest dog I have known was a mongrel picked from street.

Cheers

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:00 am

dr.jayakumar wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

dogs hate snakes.this dog is almost blind.
regrads

What i generally feel is that dogs don't hate snakes they can smell the venom they have.
1 shot 1 kill!

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:01 am

mundaire wrote:
bhupi wrote:Thanks to all, for your concern. Definitely he must be in peace and hunting those squirrels which was his favourite pastime.
Definitely Amit their's no other creature who could have done this. I was just few steps rather just 3 feets away from an angry snake who wants a safe passage and boxie was not allowing him move, by running around him and barking like hell, in the morning hours at 5.30 AM. I wake up and went out rubbing my eyes to leash Boxie and found myself in cobra's reach. He made a loud hiss sound, and in a matter of seconds attacked me, luckily i put my leg away and stepped back but was on the ground. Snake attacked me again but this time boxie was so fast and took the fangs in his mouth. there after it was dog & snake fight, which my boxie won by killing the snake and saving my life. My parents and i watched the whole episode, after killing the snake Boxie brought him near me and put it infront of my dad. He looked at me and my dad as if he was saying look boss i have done my job and within minutes he fell unconscious and never wake up. That was the first time i have seen my dad crying, and that too for Boxie a Dog.
One of the most touching stories I've read. I'm sure you/ your family must miss him terribly, may he find peace in the afterlife.

:agree:
1 shot 1 kill!

Ramandeep
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Ramandeep » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:24 am

A proverb truly explains the dog's character,"Dog is the only creature who loves you more than you love yourself". Well I have an interesting tale about my family dog saving us. I and almost every member of my family is a dog lover which explains we have around 10 dogs in our house, we have labradors, st. barnard, pugs , english bulldog and a german gerphard. All of them have their distinctive place in the house the larger breeds we own are generally at the terrace, backyard and the front part of the house whereas the smaller ones live inside the house in our bedrooms.
One night when one of the pugs sleeping in my parent's room started barking a lot both my parents were up it was 2.00 am my father thought the pug (Britney) needs to go out on the nature's call so mom said i'll take her outside to the other room's balcony but Britney went to the main door and was barking like hell initially mom could not make out what is going on with her when my mom looked at the door where the dog was barking she saw bright lights coming underneath of that door she immediately rushed to dad and infromed him about the scenario he got up with his shotgun in his hand and went out and opened the door towards which Britney was barking to their utter surprise the bright light was actually fire that had caught on to the wooden board of our main electrical terminal of the house my parents immediately rushed to everyone and we turned of all our electrical appliances in the mean time and we called the people from electricity board and fire department which by goodness gracious of God were there within few minutes.
So I can definitely say our dog Britney(pug) helped us be aware of the danger we had.
I Love Dogs

P.S. BTW this year at the local dog show Britney was voted the best female pug of the show(first prize).
1 shot 1 kill!

captrakshitsharma
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by captrakshitsharma » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:34 am

Nice one.. A dog needs a lot of specific guard dog training to act and behave like guard dog. Most dogs will only bark at and may even welcome an intruder, but then most people can't handle or would want attack/guard dogs...
I dont dial 911... I dial .357

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:43 pm

most people can't handle or would want attack/guard dogs...
Right you are, Captain! That was the reason my Rott didn't get protection training, although I had a retd police trainer. Living in a rural area, you can train your dogs to kill and get away with it (the law being what it is in the remoter places). In a city apartment, your dog has to get along with people rather than eat 'em up! Esp in a city like Mumbai with a very vocal "no pets" segment of society.

And by the way, welcome back after a long time!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley