I was stabbed.

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

I was stabbed.

Post by Skyman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:16 pm

On the 12th, around midday there knocking on the door.I opened it to see a man wearing a cap and holding a bag, like the kind you take to the market, in front of him.He was looking into the bag.He asked me if my father was in.I said no.He asked me if i was his son.I said yes.He suddenly removed a knife from the bag and held it up intending to slit my throat.I put my hands up and stepped back.Seeing my face and neck covered, he brought his hand to hip level to strike my heart.I put my hands close together and bent forwads, turning a bit.I felt something of a weak punch in my gut.He paused a bit to open the door fully and was open, with his left hand holding the bag and his right elbow pushing the door in.I thrust out both hands at his eyes, missing with my left but hitting with my right.He froze, and i thrust my hands at his face to push him out.I rammed the door shut with my left shouder, locked it and ran to my room to call my parents.It was then i saw the blood, which had soaked my t shirt and shorts.I pushed up my t shirt and saw he had hit the second cut of my abs, above the liver.The meat was hanging out.I pushed it back in and put my hand there to stop the bleeding.Called them, had a neighbor take me to hospital where they scanned it and stapled it.Came home this noon.

I will skip ahead to this.The man was clearly out to kill and no amateur.I never saw his face and he aimed at places that would leave me dead in seconds.He was probably after my father, who had left some time ago and probably sought to finish me off in his place.It was my boxing practice abd the fact the i had learnt to use adrenalin to my advantage that i am not dead.After all this, the knife missed my liver by a millimeter.A puncture on the liver means i would have bled out internally.

When i told my father he should get a gun, he dismissed it saying he has no enemies and it will be difficult to carry it all the time.Did he miss the part where i was lying hooked up to a heart monitor in front of him? Is he mad/

People and my parents claim it was gods grace that saved me.Are they mad? If i stood there and lightning struck him, it was gods grace.Do they not understand i had to fight to save my life?

They are treating the whole thing like i was pickpocketed or slipped on a banana peel.Are they crazy? A man tried to murder me, put me in hospital, and all they can say is " We should have brought your chappal from home" " You should have a haircut " " You should look before opening the door" When the $($(&$&^%$& will they face the fact that a man tried to murder me at my doorstep, probably can't see out of his right eye, and might try something again? How can they take it so casually?

I cant verbally express my anger and amazement.I can't sleep.I can think of nothing more than the fact that this might happen again, to me or anyone else in my family, no one is inclined to take steps to defend themselves.I simply say yes or no and haven't been able to yell like i want to.I dont care about anything anymore.They say things that it was me tripping and skinning my knee.What the *#*#$($? Can't they see the staples on my skin?

I thought about my life when i lay in hospital.After the incident I find i have forgotten much of the kannada,hindi,french alpahbets.I don't know simple english spellings.I can't remember faces and colourful patterns.

I think i am reasonably intelligent.What is wrong with me.What is wrong with everyone else? Please help me.

I tell you.Arm everyobe in your family.Or they will die.

I was supposed to give my 12th exams from the 13th.I missed the first one, and with it the work past the year studing for entrance exam is gone.I remember nothing.I care about nothing.My mom just came in and said if i don't want to study i shold get a job and be on my own.I had a hysterical crying fit.Why are they talking like i tried suicide? Why are they acting likt this is some small thing? Why do they act like fools and say sleep and drink juice? I don't want to talk to them.I don't want to see anyone.

I think i have ptsd.My confidence is gone.I feel incompetent.

I want a good fixed blade knife like mack has.No matter money.Don't bother ith folders.Dont nbuy cheap knifes.Buy gun and always have it.I don't know if i am mad or they are.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: I was stabbed.

Post by nagarifle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 pm

gland you savvied. do not be rash under the circumspect its normal to seek to get an upper hand.
after any attack one comes under some kind of shook. as you also have done so. reflect on what happened and talk as much as you want to us. you need to confernt your emotions and try not to be lead by them.

try to get it out of your system. it will not happen easily or quickly but keep talking to us. some of us understand the trauma and the shock that you have experienced.

it is difficult for those who have not experienced what you have. it is hard for them to understand the emotion and the shock that you went through. so please forgive them that.

to be scared is natural, so is to overcome that is also natural. you will be touched by it all your life, but you do not have to live under the shadow or the fear of what happened.

when all said and done put it behind you and move on. learn from it and overcome, which you are well able to do .

keep talking to us
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

Skyman, are you serious buddy !!!! Hope all's well.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 pm

I wasn't scared when i was fighting.I wasn't scared when i was bleeding nor in the hospital.I won't be scared if i have to face him again or even a thousand times more.What scares me is how lightly the people around me take it, and how i am supposed to forget it and resume " normal living.I dearly wish i had a gun or a good knife.I keep peering out of the window from time to time.,

I am serous.I can't flex my abs or move around a lot, but the worst is over.For some reasn i crave things i won't get, like pistachios, masalla cashew, mutton biryani, etc etc.I also thought about Mack's esee 4 ( or 5 don remember ) and what a spectacluar hole it would have made had i had such with me when i opened the door.

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Nags wrote:

it is difficult for those who have not experienced what you have. it is hard for them to understand the emotion and the shock that you went through. so please forgive them that.
to be scared is natural, so is to overcome that is also natural. you will be touched by it all your life, but you do not have to live under the shadow or the fear of what happened.
when all said and done put it behind you and move on. learn from it and overcome, which you are well able to do .

keep talking to us

> What a shocking experience!
> Was the intruder known to you or your family?
> Time is the best healer - Don't lose your self confidence - Take courage & Move ahead -
Best wishes
Briha

hvj1
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by hvj1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

Dear Skyman,
For an instant I thought your post was the begining of a novel which you are probably writing. It is said 'truth' can be stranger than fiction. What you have experienced, is enough to shock anybody out of his living daylights. You are very lucky that providence saved you and that your boxing skills came handy.

Like Nags, says. it is extremely difficult for people around you to comprehend what has happened to you, they too like you have been jolted out of their comfort zones and routine lives.

Keep writing brother, we are with you for whatever it counts. Just for the record, No, you are certainly not mad, I am sure that you have made a Police Complaint. You and your family really need to sit down and discuss the situation very seriously, to take the necessay precautions.

Best Regards

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Well done champ,
You not only saved yourself, you will now make them think again before acting funny.
You have suffered mental trauma. Any one of us would, after what you have gone through.
Do talk to a therapist. I am sure a good one will be abke to help you with your feelings.
And get armed! Next time, they wont try a knife as you proved more than a match the first time around!
Get well soon, inside and out. God bless
To Excellence through Diligence.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 pm

It seems the people on this forum are the only ones who get it.Being attacked with a knife isn't a joke.And it appears that people will talk about anything but that.In fact, i was looking at the symptoms of ptsd when my mother threatened to throw away my laptop.What the hell? She was convinced i was convincing myself i was mentally ill by looking at wikipedia.

I am greatly dissillusioned by this.I don't want to trade words with them.Hell, nameless and faceless people on the interent get me better.

Briha - Dont know who it was.Probably hired, judging by his speed.He was quite fast.Not his first time.

essdee1972
Veteran
Veteran

Post by essdee1972 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Skyman, right now, drink that juice and rest, take your meds and relax till your wounds are healed. As the guys said above, we are with you, for whatever it's worth - at least you can talk to us.

We understand that this is no joke, there's someone after you or your family. Take care. Try also to understand the feelings of your family, we in this country are conditioned to take an ostrich view of life, to be fatalistic. As an IFGian, you must have read about so many of us who face jokes and worse for keeping an small knife. Keep talking to us, your IFG bros. Fortunately, you are part of the IFG fraternity where people understand your feelings - even if most of us have thankfully been spared this experience.

Don't give up, bro! First get your physical self healed. Keep up the fitness regime when you are able to. See a therapist, PSTD is real, whatever your parents or General Patton might say about it.

And don't give up on your family, talking to them properly just might change their mindset! At least get a dog for starters, if not a gun.

Take care and get well soon!
Cheers!

EssDee
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.Aristotle

Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.Bob Marley

slingshot
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by slingshot » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Skyman,

I think you have demonstrated really great skill, presence of mind and agility to have overcome this assault. And I congratulate you for showing your attacker that you can defend yourself. So, I need you to know that you are special, cool and someone who can kick serious ass.

I know its frustrating to be in a spot where nobody understands the gravity of the situation. And I also feel your pain at the helplessness that you may be feeling.

But it may be equally true that your parents are terrified about what has happened and are unable to handle this. And are trying very hard to make you feel as if everything is normal, so that you can find your centre of gravity. They know that you are going through trauma and may be trying very hard to shield you from any more pain. Try to look at it from their point of view. Their son is asking them to buy a firearm, get knives etc....and they may be really scared of what you might do...or they may be terrified of another attack on you. So they may be terrified of what this is doing to you and trying to act normal.

I know....this behaviour of theirs is exactly what you dont need. But parents are not rational people...especially when confronted by a son who has been assaulted. Maybe they think that there is someone trying to harm you due to some trouble that you have found yourself in. And you are scaring them even further by asking for firearms and knives.

We know that You need openness, discussion, remedies, resolution, answers etc. My submission is...give them some time. They may be in even more trauma than you. You need to be strong for their sake. Ands keep up the dialogue with them.

One of the things bothering you is that there is no sense of closure. I think you need to seek the basic answers. Who did this, Why did the attacker do this and seek justice.

I hope that you have filed a Police complaint. Please pursue this aggressively. And stay safe. Stay alert. We are all here for you.
There is no downside to Freedom!

bennedose
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by bennedose » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Shocking story and I am glad you escaped without serious injury.

In this situation a gun would have been no use. You need a separate metal grill door that stays shut when you open the main door. Or you need a door chain. It is not common in India to have home security video cameras but if someone has attacked you at home a camera is cheaper than major surgery.

Why do you say (so casually) that he was after your father? If he was after your father it is a mistake attacking you. No professional would do that. He was probably afraid that your father was in and he might have wanted to burgle your house.

This man has been watching your house. He knows that there is a single door and he knows that the door is answered for everyone. Your house sounds like an easy target. If you have servant/watchman/mali/driver you really should have them checked out by the police.

I hope the hospital has made it a medicolegal case and reported to the police. If not they can be in trouble. May I ask in which town/city you live? Don't answer if you don't want to answer

I pray that you get the mental strength to do your exams OK. I can empathise with your shock and horror, but you have to be bold and do what you need to do now - your exams. The time to talk about this and plan for self defence will come in due course

veejosh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by veejosh » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Skyman wrote:I wasn't scared when i was fighting.I wasn't scared when i was bleeding nor in the hospital.I won't be scared if i have to face him again or even a thousand times more.What scares me is how lightly the people around me take it, and how i am supposed to forget it and resume " normal living.I dearly wish i had a gun or a good knife.I keep peering out of the window from time to time.,

I am serous.I can't flex my abs or move around a lot, but the worst is over.For some reasn i crave things i won't get, like pistachios, masalla cashew, mutton biryani, etc etc.I also thought about Mack's esee 4 ( or 5 don remember ) and what a spectacluar hole it would have made had i had such with me when i opened the door.
Thank your quick thinking and your stars !!!!!!

Good you find someone worth sharing it all with. Keep discussing it but then no one will be able to step in your shoes and always remember that your parents will want the best for you.You might find it difficult to digest right now..I did it at your age ... but keep telling yourself what you would advise your younger brother /sister. You will feel better.

Take care and think positive.

Regards

Vikas

kalashnikovcult
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by kalashnikovcult » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Keep it up bro ! you are a brave chap ..you did the best what you could ...however the fact is ..he had come prepared to kill one of you ..you were not prepared for it ..even if you have a gun ..a stab within that distance is like a point blank shot..imagine even if u were carrying yor pistol in the holster slung on yor shoulders how much time did he give you to draw ? barely any...it requires a lot of practice to be that quick....in such a situation a stick in your had would perhaps be the best alternative to immediately strike back...

i know its easy to say forget the incident ..you wont ..however thank yourself and your mind which made you react in the the best way.

After you have recovered join a martial art class to give you more confidence ..maybe pursue what you were doing ..boxing ..you have responsibility on your shoulders bro..you don't have any choice but to move on ..
cu kar az hama hilate dar guzasht
halal ast burdan ba shamshir dast.

When all other means have failed,it is righteous to draw the sword

-- Guru Gobind Singhji Maharaj

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:08 pm

Well he made sure whose son i was before he brought out the knife.And i wouldn't keep my gun holstered, i would wear a jacket and keep it in the pocket, finger on the thriiger.

As i said before, i don't care nor remember enough to write any exam now....

ribaalber
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by ribaalber » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:50 pm

But still, you will always carry your martial arts skills with you. Or better still take up boxing seriously, as you siad you already practice. Nothing like a solid left hook or an upper cut when faced with someone with a knife. You don't even have to unholster it.

Really feel bad to hear about it and I have been playing it my mind again and again and again and how I would have handled it. I have been in many fights when I grew up,, and I know how to fight. But then I grew up in a rough area and we were not civilized. The only way to learn contact fighting is through sparring with a partner. Not with a boxing bag or leaning Katta. This experience have made you stronger, but I am not an expert to give you any immediate advice.

But my long term advice is to get strong. Get very strong. Once you are completely healed, start a Strength Training program like Starting Strength (startingstrength.wikia.com) or stronglifts.com You work out 3 times a week, and you lift a little more weight with every single workout. Makes you really strong, functionally in the shortest time. In fact one of the funniest tag line of mark Rippetoe, the author of starting strength is:
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general."

And then after a year, start Boxing.
You situation could have been in your favor if you were a really good boxer.

I have a friend from greater Noida. His house was attacked by sword wielding attackers. He was left to die and still carry long cut marks across his Body. Happened a few years back. He had two guns in the house. But it could not be reached in time.

He decided that getting stronger and faster was the only solution. Today his body is wider than John Abraham and faster than Salman Khan in Dabangg

He hopes that those robbers visit him again.

But hey, you can't ignore your studies because of a silly incident. I mean it is a incident, but don't let it consume it. You are just holding on to a hot stone wishing that it would hurt your attacker.

Instead, plan. prepare. and be ready to attack when he comes back.
But until you are ready, just stay low.

Trust me, a knife will be useless if you are not strong enough or fast enough.

Just a thought. This is not an advice...

Lift heavy weights, And run sprints (not those sissy jogs) but full speed sprints. And practice your boxing hard. Not with a Bag but with a sparring partner..
But most importantly, get strong... very strong.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general.

Good luck Bro. And no point going to Jail for shooting someone in self defense. Just maim him so that he don't come back.
Moreover it is not that easy getting a Gun, which is unfortunate. And then there are issues with our IOF Ammo and the guns themselves lol

A Glock is one of the most reliable HandGuns, if not the most, and yet when I fire with Indian Ammo, I get a jam every 3-4 shots.
"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms .... disarm only
those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....."
- Thomas Jefferson

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general.
~Mark Rippetoe