What is your Fitness Regime

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: What is your Fitness Regime

Post by Skyman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

It is best you gents drop the weights and pick up a compound movement routine.Remember, all the calories burnt by walking can be made up by a cup of tea and some toast.Walking isn't that useful.You don't need too much time.A great workout can be had, spending minutes a day.It has to be intense and of short duration.

Working your abs will help kill off fat in the midsection.Simply lie on a bed, and lift your legs as high as you can.Do as many as you can, increasing every time.Once in three days.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:07 pm

Brihaji,
I owe you a standing ovation. You inspire.

Gentlemen,
I went through the rest of the posts and realised how close I stand to the danger zone :D

Well, I am 46, 5'10", and weight about 72 kilos.
In school I used to swim every afternoon for two hours and learned karate for a year and a half and some boxing. In college I played cricket in the weekends, did weight training and took up cycling. In my 20s and 30s walking and running around replaced my earlier regimes and I started smoking as well - a habit I have not been able to give up.

Today, I stick to a regulated diet since I can't do much exercise because of my long and odd working hours and bone injuries I suffered in a car accident in 2006. (That's when I discovered IFG, lying in bed for 2 months with a laptop for company) When I drink I limit myself to 2 pegs. I never touch junk food, carbonated drink, chocolate, sweets, egg, prawn and red meat.

But, whenever I hit a beach I go swimming if the waves are not too strong and don't emerge before three hours at least. Don't know if that can be called a fitness regime but every time I do that I feel at least 10 years younger.

:cheers:

TC

Moin.
Poster of the Month - Sep '11 & Apr '13

Post by Moin. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:15 pm

brihacharan wrote:Hi Guys,
My Fitness Regime
Going thro’ this thread I couldn’t resist the temptation to add my own…

> To begin with I’ll be 75 come July!
My tryst with fitness began when I was 12 yrs old – My inspiration was my Dad who was a good swimmer & good on Roman Rings.
• At that age I did 254 free hand squats in 5 minutes at a local health club & won a medal!
• At 16 I joined a gym & was inducted into weight training….
• Won the Jr. Mr. Bombay Best Physique Title (Runner Up) for 2 consecutive years
• Won the Mr. Ruperal College (Mumbai) – Best Physique Title
• Won the Class 3 Mr. Bombay University Title – Best Physique
• Won the 1st prize for Weight Lifting (Bantam Weight Class) Bombay University
• Was a member of College Boxing Team (Didn’t compete in any tournaments)
• Love swimming, trekking, camping & Hunting (During times when it was permitted)

These days I do (3 times a week) which takes me 1 hour approximately
• 40 push-ups (10 x 4)
• Bicep curling with 3kg dumbbells (10 reps x 3 sets)
• Sit-ups (15 reps x 3 sets)
• Body stretching (Tai Chi style) helps to keep body muscles supple
• Followed by 5 minutes of Pranayam

My diet consists of:
• Breakfast > 2 toasted slices of multigrain bread + 1 poached egg or Slice of Cheese (alternate days) +1 cup of milk with oats + 1 teaspoon of roasted flax seed + 1 seasonal fruit
• Lunch > 3 saucer shaped rotis + boiled vegetables slightly spiced + 1 cup yoghurt
• Dinner > 2 scoops of rice + dal / curried vegetables + raita

Once a week I eat white meat (Chicken / Fish) preferably grilled – during lunch
* 1 cup of coffee in the morning & 2 cups of tea during the day with biscuits
* Hit the sack everyday by 11pm and wake up at 5.30am
* I admit I enjoy a mug of beer / a couple of tots of Single Malt in the company of friends :D

My motto in life –
• Seek courage to change things I can
• Seek strength to accept things that I can’t change
• Seek wisdom to know the difference

I wish to conclude by quoting ‘Albert Camus’…
Don’t walk ahead of me for I may not follow
Don’t walk behind me for I may not lead
Walk beside me & be my friend

Cheers :cheers:
Briha
sir unbeleivable. i cant even do 1 push up. Hats off to you. You are an inspiration to many in the forum. You can always boast like Asrani..... Haha Hum Angrezon ke Zamaane ke Body Builder hain.... HahA...... hhheheheheh

Best Regards and Massive Respect.
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

Moin.

Post by Moin. » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:25 pm

TC wrote:Brihaji,
I owe you a standing ovation. You inspire.

Gentlemen,
I went through the rest of the posts and realised how close I stand to the danger zone :D

Well, I am 46, 5'10", and weight about 72 kilos.
In school I used to swim every afternoon for two hours and learned karate for a year and a half and some boxing. In college I played cricket in the weekends, did weight training and took up cycling. In my 20s and 30s walking and running around replaced my earlier regimes and I started smoking as well - a habit I have not been able to give up.

Today, I stick to a regulated diet since I can't do much exercise because of my long and odd working hours and bone injuries I suffered in a car accident in 2006. (That's when I discovered IFG, lying in bed for 2 months with a laptop for company) When I drink I limit myself to 2 pegs. I never touch junk food, carbonated drink, chocolate, sweets, egg, prawn and red meat.

But, whenever I hit a beach I go swimming if the waves are not too strong and don't emerge before three hours at least. Don't know if that can be called a fitness regime but every time I do that I feel at least 10 years younger.

TC
Swimming for 3 hours in the Bay of Bengal. Tcda be careful or you will reach Burma...... Hinudustan Times ka kya hoga. No carbonated drinks sweets eggs red meat prawns fish, what do you eat then. You have left out all the major food groups. hahahahahahahahaha.

Best Regards
Moin.
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. Camus

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 pm

My dear Moin,
Stop pulling my leg and try 10 push ups from tomorrow :mrgreen:
If I could swim in the Bay of Bengal for three hours I would be in the Olympics ... I meant staying in the water and swimming close to the beach at regular intervals but certainly not getting out before three hours.

Yes, I had to give up all these because my doctor was giving up on me and pharmaceutical companies were getting richer :D

TC

INSAS556
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by INSAS556 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 pm

i am 27 years old and since college days my fitness began with NCC's ragda. As i used to be very notorious.
Anyways, since 2003, i started gymming and developed interest in making body muscles strong, as i learned during firing sessions of SLR, LMG, INSAS, STEN, and others that one needs to have strong body to handle arms and for precision. I lift weights and do lots of barbell squats and lunges for strengthening leg muscles.(as my favr8 part in muscle training) also i enjoy whole lot of exercises related to strength training ('muscketree' as our NCOs made us do at camps.)
eat wholeheartedly, dont starve.
I don't care if I fall as long as someone else picks up my gun and keeps on shooting.
-- CHE GUEVARA.

sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sandy_3126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello friends,
I started this thread 4 months ago, and thought i'd update my fitness status as of now.

Biggest achievement : quit smoking completely.

Fitness regime is the following:
three days of strength/endurance training mon tue and wed: I switch the pattern weekly.workout Usually consists of
day 1>200 pushups(50/set), 15 dead hang pull ups, Chest, - bench press - 4 sets (125-275lbs max), Vertical dips 3 sets 15 reps, Dumbell fly's 4 sets (75-100lbs), tricep pull downs 6 sets (75-120 lbs), skull crushers 5 sets (50-100lbs), 50 free squats,
day 2> 50 pushups, shoulder press 4 sets (125lbs max), 3-5 sets of, dumbell raises, reverse fly's, lateral raises, smith machine shoulder press, 2 sets of clean and jerk (max 125 lbs), Hack squats 3 sets (270-360lbs), leg press 3 sets (360 max), calf raises 3 sets (300 lbs max), barbell squats 3 sets 125 lbs, free squats till failure.
day 3>50 pushups, 15 dead hang pull ups, 15 military pull ups, sets of 4-6 sets of dumbell curls (25-55lbs), barbell curls (60-100lbs), machine preacher curl (80-120 lbs), Lat pull downs 6 sets (max 200 lbs), Barbell row 3 sets (125lbs), dumbell row 6 sets (60-100 lbs max). Dead lift 2 sets (125 lbs), T bar row 1 set till failure (135 lbs).
Diet: 5 meals total, 3 of the meals are combinations of grilled chicken/ mahi mahi or atlantic salmon/ egg whites/ ground chicken kebabs, with brown rice. two meals are syntha 6 protein shakes, with an additional 100% gold ON whey post workout. approximate protein intake is around 180-240 gms.

thursday - morning a protien shake, indian food in afternoon evening chill back with a beer day and enjoy wife's super cooking.

Friday workout
> 1 mile sprint in the morning, 2 mile walk with wife in the evening to the gym. Interval training cardio.
Diet:
100% juicing. No solid food, complete fasting (of sorts). Morning juice - carrot+apple, afternoon and evening juice- apples+carrots+celery+brocolli+spinach+beets, dinner time - spinach+celery+parsley+ pineapple.

Saturday:
Cricket day, usually 20 over match every other week, or hiking,

Sunday
Rest day diet same as friday.

Results:

Weight : 182-185 from (196-202)
Body fat : 12/13% from 22% fat.
Arms 18.5" from 16"
waist 32" from 36"
Visible definition in stomach, quadriceps,
Twin split definition in triceps.
Better upper chest defination, no chest fat, no back fat.

My goal is complete a half marathon in three months. Still workin on getting a permanent six pack, and hopefully will have better legs soon.
Last edited by sandy_3126 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:28 pm

You workout three days doing the above? How on earth do you recover?

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Good Good !! this forum is being taken over by hunks ROTFL

Good going Sandy.... kicking the butt did you more good than everything else put together... I know because I am suffering.

TC

sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sandy_3126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Skyman wrote:You workout three days doing the above? How on earth do you recover?
The first three days of work out are hell, I try to work different muscle groups each day, recovery is tough but few tricks I have learnt, Drink lots and lots of water, Post work out ensure a fast absorbing protein , and follow it up with casein based slow absorption protien before sleeping, do not be stingy on vitamins (natural and supplement both) last meal 2 two hours before sleep.
If you read the jucing part, it indeed has been a gift for me, I cant praise enough the effects of juicing . I did a 15 day pure veggi/fruit juicing fast, I lost nearly 20 lbs in that a couple of months ago, other benefits are immense, hence i incorporated it my daily regimen. I think everyone should try it once, it's completely worth it.

last. Work out with big guys in the gym, and try a pre workout booster, stay the hell away from processed food, junk food and anything with MSG. Results will come with patience.

sandy_3126
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by sandy_3126 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:50 pm

TC wrote:Good Good !! this forum is being taken over by hunks ROTFL

Good going Sandy.... kicking the butt did you more good than everything else put together... I know because I am suffering.

TC
Sir,
Had almost zero workload at office, and was in process of making the switch, hence had quite some free time at hand. The wife got into fitness, and it helped a lot.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:01 am

Skyman wrote:It is best you gents drop the weights and pick up a compound movement routine.Remember, all the calories burnt by walking can be made up by a cup of tea and some toast.Walking isn't that useful.You don't need too much time.A great workout can be had, spending minutes a day.It has to be intense and of short duration.

Working your abs will help kill off fat in the midsection.Simply lie on a bed, and lift your legs as high as you can.Do as many as you can, increasing every time.Once in three days.

I respectfully disagree. Weights are far more beneficial than not. One need not imagine Schwarzenegger or Ronny Coleman every time you hear of weights. Even moderate weights have surprisingly good impact,even in senior citizens- increased muscle tone,strength, bone density and arrest muscular atrophy due to disuse. The key is finding the optimum in each individual case.

Exercise does not result in weight loss in most of us unless we are engaged in hard manual labour or indulge in athletic activity for longer duration everyday. Exercise is meant to keep the body strong, fit and healthy. Weight depends on how much you eat and how much you spend. Actually, walking is one of the best forms of exercise. Even just 30 minutes of walk four to five times a week is enough to keep the body functions efficient and prevent diabetes.And it is less stressful on the joints. If nothing else, walking is the best exercise one can do.

Working abs will not result in fat reduction around the midriff. When you lose fat, you lose it from your head to toes. You don't target it by location. Yes, working abs would result in more muscle mass and definition and strength to the area.

The key is balanced diet and sufficient exercise and some less stress.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 am

Sandy - Be careful.The muscle might recover, but soft tissues might not.

Working abs will not result in fat reduction around the midriff.

Men, as you know store fat mostly in the midsection.The abs are a large group stretching from sternum to pelvis.When these are worked, they ( or any muscle group ) need more energy for recovery.This is done by burning fat, provided you have cut food intake.Fat loss as you correctly say is all over.But it is the paunch that goes down noticeably.Personally, for me the fat on the abs went away, and the fat from the sides next.I have same below the navel now.Try it, i promise your gut will melt away.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories- ... lking-a502 You can see how many cals are burnt.And how easy it is to put em back in.266 lost, walking at 3.5 mph for an entire hour!

Remember - A kilo of fat is a little more than 7,000 calories.So you have to burn some, and eat less also.You can loose fat upto a kilo a week with some effort.Cut your intake a bit, by 10-20% nothing drastic.And workout progressively.

I do not deny weights are effective, just not for people who have been injured.Body weight exercises are preferred for such.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:59 pm

brihacharan wrote:
xl_target wrote:[quote=
"Skyman"]It is harder.I do not debate it is possible.You can look anywhere, male metabolism slows down past 30.

It wasn't till I hit my 40's that things slowed down a bit. Part of that could have been because I was now spending more time in the office and didn't get as much exercise.
> True the body metabolism slows down after the 40s...
> To add to this "The Mid-Life Crisis" sets in - Consolidating Career, Upbringing of children, Settling them, Planning retirement etc. which puts "Physical Fitness" regimes in the back-burner.
> The way out is to continue exercises (Yoga / Tai Chi) diet control etc. The pace could be a tad slower but continue - Is A Must!
> Easier said than done - but attempting it is good in the long run.
> So guys - Don't despair - Pick up the skipping rope, the hidden dumb-bells, swimming trunks and get moving :D
Briha
Brihaji,
If I could be in half the shape you are in when I reach your age, I would be blessed indeed.
You are inspiring!
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

brihacharan
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by brihacharan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:56 pm

Skyman wrote: You mean lean mass...?
> Yes - Ur right :D
Briha