Defense against groping in public for women?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
TC
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Defense against groping in public for women?

Post by TC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:16 pm

Tirpassion, Kolkata has changed a lot but she still reacts when a woman is abused in public. And, since Delhi is the only other Indian City I have lived in I can say it has changed a bit in recent years.

Coming to Skyman's question, in the kind of crowded situation you are describing, no woman (or man) can use a handgun, a pepper spray, a zapper or a knife without running the risk of hurting an innocent bystander or even herself. Even if she is a master in martial arts there is not much she can do against multiple abusers in such a confined space. So I guess, raising an alarm, slapping the culprit/s, asking the conductor to stop the bus and seeking help from co-passengers are the only options. One could of course call up the police helpline on the move and expect some patrol car to stop the bus but in India I would not bet much on imagination. Also, at the end of the day the thought of carrying a gun or any other weapon in a handbag sounds very nice but using it with precision inside a crowded space is a different ball game.

My thoughts purely. Hope I got your point.

TC

For Advertising mail webmaster
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:59 pm

The only one who did, i am proud of you.... :wink: :agree:
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:02 pm

Thanks
:cheers:

TC

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:06 pm

It is a common problem that many women face. Apart from raising alarm, alerting the police, and confronting the perpetrator/suspect, I do not really see a defence tactic that is without risks. Much as one wishes, one cannot shoot one for groping.

Another issue is how is one going to establish accurately who is the perp? That brings-up the topic of installing CCTV cameras in all buses and trains.They may not prevent crimes of this nature, but help reduce these incidents greatly and also help in establishing guilt.

Slapping or pepper-spraying anyone is not advisable. It can just go wrong in so many ways,especially in the Indian scenario. Groping is a physical violation of one's dignity and personal space.

I wish I can come up with a really workable defence tactic apart from installing well advertised CCTVs and seek to change the attitudes of both men and women.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:08 pm

I just realised that TC has covered what I wrote already,only much better.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TC
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TC » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Vikram wrote:I just realised that TC has covered what I wrote already,only much better.
That means I learned a few things from old friends like you... :D

Cheers

TC

perfectionist1
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by perfectionist1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Agreed witb spin_drift..... Vomiting or farting can be considered.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:11 pm

As Tirpassion and TC have mentioned, the Calcutta of my day was very considerate of women. Not sure about the Kolkata of today but a woman could usually walk the streets of Cal without coming to any harm. Yes, you had the occasional eve teaser but if he went into someone else's "para" and tried harassing the women there, even the shopkeepers would bring out their rollup-door poles and chase them off. If a woman complained on a bus, the other passengers would come to her aid. As far as a woman slapping a man in a bus, no man would have dared to raise a hand ( in return) against a woman, in public. Other men (and boys) would have made short work of him.

Cal was also where I regularly saw men give up their seats to women (on trams or buses). In most other cities that I have lived in, this did not happen. Parts of South India like Bangalore were better. In Bombay, it happened occasionally but in The North, I didn't see the same level of respect for women displayed by the average commuter.

As for protection in the tight environs of a bus or train, where using "conventional weapons" would not be possible, a two inch long pin or needle would be a quiet, unnoticed, less than gentle reminder to an offender to keep his hands to himself.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:23 pm

@skyman i would disagree.
My parents never taught my sister to keep mum.
Even when she slapped a guy, for that b@$*@*d passed vulgar comments. My father and the whole family was proud of her.
Even the Delhi Police helped a lot, when she spotted that rascal a week later trying to follow her.
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Agreed witb spin_drift..... Vomiting or farting can be considered.

How silly...so women should be trained to vomit/turn flatulent at a moment's notice? :? IN a bus already stinking with the sweat of many men? Thats why i always footboard.Some clean air at least.

As for protection in the tight environs of a bus or train, where using "conventional weapons" would not be possible, a two inch long pin or needle would be a quiet, unnoticed, less than gentle reminder to an offender to keep his hands to himself.

Well the country has gone to hell...everybody trying to get some action.The needle is a very sensible option.Well thought of.

@skyman i would disagree.
My parents never taught my sister to keep mum.

Note that was not my view, someone elses.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 pm

Well the country has gone to hell...everybody trying to get some action.The needle is a very sensible option.Well thought of.
Well that was not my idea. It was told to me by a lady of my acquaintance. Apparently even in polite society there are lechers who cannot control themselves and must be restrained with a smile and gentle stab of a hatpin (apparently to remind them that they are supposed to be civilized). :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Here's a true story.. During my college days in Pune a friend of mine had a bad experience for being chivalrous.. He was travelling to college on his bike and had picked up a lady classmate on the way. While travelling on Ambedkar road near BJ medical college ground, another two wheeler rider (moped) suddenly entered the road from a side road and sideswiped them. As they were on a heavier bike, the fellow on the moped skidded and crashed. This friend of mine stopped his bike to help the guy who had crashed, but to his surprise this fellow started cursing and shouting in marathi.

Within no time a crowd gathered and it was beginning to get awkward as they couldnt understand a word they were saying. With the crowd behind him, the fellow started getting nasty and started to manhandle him. Out of nowhere his lady friend who was watching from the sidelines came to his rescue. She removed her slippers and shouting (in mizo) at the top her voice started hitting the attacker with her slippers! The attacker froze and stopped in his tracks, everybody was shocked (including my friend) and suddenly the crowd started taking sides.. Before long somebody who had seen the accident stepped in and explained how everything happened to the crowd. The tables got turned and the fellow was reprimanded and sent away! It still amazes me when I think of what this gutsy under 5 feet girl did to that that crowd! I am sure a .357 magnum revolver wouldnt have been as effective as her slippers!
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:55 pm

Ah women.....how they strip men of will and senses.

james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by james » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:26 am

I dont have any first hand experience of this but my thought process is -
Focus on basics, develop a mindset of a family member from childhood not to tolerate and train her to defend ,Martial art helps and fully support her when needed . Knowledge of law and to use it at you benefits helps.This what is taught to us and we teach our childrens. People respect strength .
I dont want to go deep in case but i still rember a incidence when one of my distant relative landed up paying few thousand towards medical treatment bills when her daughter kicked these two guys so badly ,this was in underground car parking area,the lady happens to be black belt in tycondo.
James.

ankur1011111
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ankur1011111 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:49 am

Scene is more worst in some districts of U.P. auto rickshaws with sharing basis...
i did my schooling from meerut and college from moradabad both were in U.P. i have seen that the local girls are bold enough to challenge the culprit or any man doing mischievous activities the high louder would be the voice more will be the help from others. The girls from well mannered areas were frightened always from fear of creating scene.. I know how people can handle our girl friend wives sisters in public transport.. the best way is to quickly respond according to situation..
And avoid unsafe journeys.. or develop an art to screw person at very beginning when any women is tortured in such a way.

Keeping Mum is not the way.. 98% of rape cases are not registered because of this MUM attitude..