Defense against groping in public for women?

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm

As you all probably know, groping is a favored past time by the largely lecherous Indian male population.I have seen it happen a number of times, form the bus conductor slowly making his " way " through the ladies to middle aged men trying to pull college going girls pants.

In a situation where there are many people and it is difficult to pin point the culprit.Any ideas on bringing such perverts to " justice " ?

P.S - I am a male and have NOT at any point in this lifetime been groped.I undertake this discussion in public interest.
I would rather hit my target gently than miss hard.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Rajat
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Defense against groping in public for women?

Post by Rajat » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:55 pm

Skyman wrote:
P.S - I am a male and have NOT at any point in this lifetime been groped.I undertake this discussion in public interest.
:?

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:52 am

Well, I had a very bad experience..
In a metro, a girl stood near me. Behind her was sitting an old man with his wife. The old man was trying to feel togirl, the girl due to his age could not say a thing. She couldn't even change her place, the metro was so crowdedBut, after 2 stops, she warningly said the old guy, to behave. Now this old lady started to shout on her and defended her husband. She abused her, and did not miss any thing to humiliate her. Horrified, the girl deboarded the train. Everyone knew what happened. When, me and my friend Kislaya started to talk about it loudly enough so that this couple hears us to and feel ashamed. We were too abused by same old lady while her husband stared outside the metro

Do tell me, how would have you guys handled this?
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

varunik
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by varunik » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:56 am

And your question, how to identify the culprit..
Well my gf says, " bas, pta chal jata h"

But one should not assume that one has been touched, unless you are too sure.
Half of times, the bus or train are so crowded that even a small bump can accidentally land a guy's hand in wrong places, and an innocent can land into trouble
So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

It's the eye of the tiger
It's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge
Of our rival
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night
And he's watching us all with the
Eye of the tiger

spin_drift
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by spin_drift » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:52 am

the best you can do is vomit on the pervert... there is nothing he'll be able to to do :mrgreen:
I believe in second chances… it’s called reloading

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:41 am

Some 20 years back, my cousin sister, then 19 years old, turned in the bus and slapped on the face of a man in his thirties. People reacted late and the man escaped before being lynched. Yes, I have always admired her courage.
That was in Kolkata. At that time you could always find sympathisers beside you. I do not know about the current situation.
But I think, it is a good solution. The victim lady should hit back physically in a sudden reaction and create a verbal havoc. I am convinced that fellow passengers will understand and take her side to defend her. The psychological point is that if one reacts violently, it must be true.

regards
tirpassion

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:38 am

No you are missing the point.My question is - how do women defend themselves when there is a CROWD and they do not know who is doing it.It is easy to slap the guy behind them.What if some one two people away is " reaching out" ?

I have also observed this tactic- a group target some girl, and touch in random order.When she fends off someone, the others move in without restraint.What then?

jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by jonahpach » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:53 am

a .32 in the belly of the offender would solve the problem immediately :mrgreen:
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:15 am

As she goes through the well known hurdles of acquiring a license and a gun, my advice meanwhile is:
-- always keep the pepper spray in reach.
-- when you board the transport and settle for a place (standing/sitting), try that it be among ladies.
-- resist on the first sign of mischief, tolerating will only encourage him.
-- be alert and "let others around you know that you are alert".
-- visit http://www.corneredcat.com. Read everything there slowly and religiously.

Hope these would help out

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Virendra S Rathore
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Virendra S Rathore » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:22 am

Here's a real incident involving my friend as he detailed on FB. Turns out he saved a soul from torture:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It was Saturday Evening time & I was moving from Vaishali to CP Metro. Don't know y but unfortunately , all passengers have 2 un-board the train @ Laxmi Nagar after the announcement that the train would not go beyond this station with passengers. I have to wait for another train to come …. while waiting just saw new stylo frame wore by a girl. The lady wearing that frame was beautiful :P. Just observed that she was with another lady , might be her sister-in law. Meanwhile the next train came and all passengers of Laxmi Nagar went inside already filled metro , no body wants to waste time and I was first in the train to board again :P as I was last from the same compartment to come out (y). So much hectic the situation became of too many people increasing the density of water ..... but I noted that the same beautiful lady was standing besides me. She was just talking with the other lady whom she was accompanying .As my bad nature , I don't like to put my nose into another persons talks , so I stand quietly in that rush. It was so much hectic that people were quite close to each other with just 1-2 inch differences. As it always happens in India :D. Certainly I noted that within span of 7-8 minutes or 2-3 stations , another man standing beside that lady who was standing much forward was not at similar distance and at certain more distance was trying to get more and more close to the lady. I even felt that she was feeling un-comfortable but she had to bear as per the situation. Even No body can stand in same position for long time of 7-8 min , so i suppose that he was that also moving. I did felt strange about that but still ignored. Certainly the position of that man shoulder became more close to that lady and now his shoulder was few cm's away from her . This time I noted quitely that 'saala' dheere dheere jaan bhoojh kar peeche aa rha tha , even she was feeling quite uncomfortable …... It was time of action and I just put my hand on that man's shoulder and simply said to him …. agar isse peeche aaya toh dekh lena ...... , dikhta nahi hai kya ke tera shoulder kis taraf badh rha hai ….saala * ** *** nervous ho gya aur chup chap line mein seedha lag gya …... now that lady moved back to see me and she said … thank you with a beautiful smile like :-) i received her smile with thnks 2 :) ................. me just sharing this coz people are becoming cheap and weak ….... People might be self centred , still we can increase our radius of courage gradually …. this will give strength in attitude …. small things makes us courageous & human at same time !! ~ rab rakha !!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The man deservedly earned a lot of respect.

Regards,
Virendra
Virendra S Rathore

To Take my gun away for I might kill someone is just like cutting my throat for I might yell "Fire !!" in a crowded theatre ..

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:20 am

You all miss the point yet again.Sigh.

Pepper spray in a crowded bus is about as effective as a stun gun to the crotch. :deadhorse:

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:09 am

I dunno what the solution is cause I have seen a scenario which beats all logic. Many years ago i was travelling in a dtc bus, when a lady turned and smartly slapped this meek looking guy twice in the face, all the while calling him a so and so. She said that the guy had been rubbing himself on her and even pointed to the bulge in his pocket.

Where everything beats logic is that when she gave the guy a few more slaps, the bus conductor held her hand and asked,'Tu marad per haath kaise utha rahin hai...' Anyway the lady sobbed as she then left the bus. No one in the bus either stopped her or took the meek looking guy to task.

I have had my wife tell me once that an old man much like the one in the story narrated above had been trying to touch my wife's back on a long ago bus journey. He was also accompanied by his wife. My wife told me this after we had gotten off the bus. when I asked her why she hadn't told me earlier she said that she wanted to avoid a scene.

That is the real part of the problem, the women want to avoid an embarrassing situation. Only once they are ready to commit to an action can one find a solution from the public serial gropers.
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

shooter_1
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shooter_1 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 am

In India very few people show courage to support the ladies going through difficult situation. Also ladies are taught by parents/guardian to keep mum on such situations. When will we grow up!!

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:25 pm

As I said earlier, co passengers in a bus in Kolkata used to react for the cause of the victim. I talked about Kolkata only because the other city I had very well travelled in local buses is Delhi, where the public reaction seemed not to be that strong (as dev quoted 'marad par kaise haat utha rahi hai??'). For example, I never got any public backing in a Delhi local bus when I used to ask someone to stub a cigarette or a biri. I was even at the verge of being lynched by four men when I asked them to throw the cigarette away in a Gurgaon bound DTC bus. I do not know if people are more indifferent these days. In a few of my local bus experiences in kolkata in recent times, I did not have any idea, neither did I see any such instance. Kolkata used to react, that is for sure, does she now? Only Kolkattans will be able to say. Well, for the cigarette part in public transport Kolkata still reacts strongly.

regards
tirpassion

Skyman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Skyman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:07 pm

Also ladies are taught by parents/guardian to keep mum on such situations. When will we grow up!!

Is this true? any ladies out there who can verify this?

Come on people..is that all that can be said? public support is lacking? No ideas?