Self defence and hard recoiling handguns

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Self defence and hard recoiling handguns

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:46 pm

cottage chese";p="21358 wrote:In a very narrow local perspective, I discovered an odd thing. Maybe its only me but I'd fired a FN GP35 9mm (Service), and a 1911A1, side by side. Both were fed on regular KF fodder. I found the GP35 to produce a sharp and brisk(Though by no means, overwhelming), while the 1911 produced a gentler and 'warmer' recoil.
It could be attributed to the difference in mass and CG of the respective pistols...or the ergonomics... or just plain docile 'dud-ish' KF shots.

Any thoughts on this?
It sounds like the 9mm may have had a worn recoil spring, or similar issue.

There are a lot of factors affecting recoil in addition to the bullet size or velocity- weight and shape of grip are a couple more.

The main point for people to realize however is that with proper technique most all handguns used for self defense can be comfortably and accurately shot by most anyone.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

For Advertising mail webmaster
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:51 pm

Here are some KF .45 ammo I came across.

The first is a WW2 vintage(Not KF) .45ACP round alloy case marked E.C (Eau Claire Ordnance Plant, Eau Claire, Wis., USA)- It seems to be pretty common among private users.

The middle is standard KF .45ACP fodder

The last is KF .455 Webley

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks Cottage Cheese.This is the first time I am seeing a KF .45 ACP cartridge.Pretty old stuff though.
Last edited by penpusher on Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:33 pm

penpusher";p="21378 wrote: Thanks Cottage Cheese.This is the first time I am seeing a KF .45 ACP cartridge.

penpusher
Ditto! Have never seen KF .45 ACP ammo.... thanks for sharing :)

BTW - the ammo with aluminium polish casings does not have KF markings... are you sure it is a KF round? Looks very east European...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Abhijeet wrote

"BTW - the ammo with aluminium polish casings does not have KF markings... are you sure it is a KF round? Looks very east European... "

Cottage Cheese wrote

"The first is a WW2 vintage(Not KF) .45ACP round alloy case marked E.C (Eau Claire Ordnance Plant, Eau Claire, Wis., USA)- It seems to be pretty common among private users."

penpusher

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Oops! :oops:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:08 pm

:)

The ammo in the pic is almost as old as I am! I haven't come across any newer KF 45's. Its a pity.

I just love those beautiful Thompsons- let people say what they want...badmouth it or what ever... I think it should continue being used by the police.

cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cottage cheese » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:54 am

BTW did you guys notice the big difference between the US(EC) round and the KF 45 round?

Take a look at the bottom of the cartridges- the rim area (Rather the rimless!) Notice the difference in the extractor groove sizes? :) I wonder if that will make the difference between a good and poor cartridge. I could be entirely wrong though.
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

jayanta mukherjee
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jayanta mukherjee » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:52 pm

Hello Friends
Well I would like to definitely point to that my personal preference and inclination is towards a small caliber as someone rightly pointed that it is better to put as many shots in the assailant than to put any at all. I have pondered this over and have felt that lesser caliber means that you have less recoil and which usually translates into less time for your next shot. Also the chances of less caliber would definitely mean less penetration which would not affect his vital organsand yet it would put him in pain and enough for the traget to understand that you mean business. However hard we try to reason that you may have shot in self defence our judiciary( with due respect and no malice meant) would hugely differ from the very fact that the assailant is dead and that you stand accused and you can see only prove yourself not guilty in the trial which would be a pain in the wrong place.
Having said that I know that you people may take exception and I once again drive home the fact that it is my personal opinion that I would prefer something small like .22 or .32 as my choice.
Jayanta
LAWYERS FIGHT FOR RIGHTS.... AN ARMED CITIZEN PROTECTS THEM
"GOD IS NOT ON THE SIDE OF THE BIGGEST BATTALIONS, BUT OF THE BEST SHOTS." ~ VOLTAIRE