.22lr not to be underestimated...

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
james
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

.22lr not to be underestimated...

Post by james » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:52 am

.22lr not to be underestimated...check this out

James..

For Advertising mail webmaster
tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: .22lr not to be underestimated...

Post by tirpassion » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:40 pm

The .22LR is considered to be one of the most dangerous ammunitions because it does not make much noise and still it can kill at a long distance.
I love this ammunition because of it's use in target shooting. I ignore completely the other purposes.

regards
tirpassion

YogiBear
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by YogiBear » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:48 am

Aloha,

I know of two cases involving Ruger 10/22 in which people were shot and killed.

Both involved drugs.

Both were close range shootings.

shooter
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by shooter » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:16 pm

I know of a person dying on the spot from a .22lr. He was big and strong. The shot was from a close range in a self-defence situation.
You want more gun control? Use both hands!

God made man and God made woman, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted. by Jose Gasset.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:15 pm

I have great respect and liking for the .22lr.It just is so versatile and fun to shoot.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

gladiatorgarg
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by gladiatorgarg » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:13 am

its an awesome caliber i have IOF .22 RIFLE XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXwatch it, against forum rules. Mod and so far as killing human beings concerned the infamous and unfortunate killing of jessica lal where a .22 browning pistol was the murder weapon...

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm

Sticks , stones and ropes can be equally lethal .As can bare hands.

sunildelta4
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by sunildelta4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 pm

What is your opinion of .22 revolvers. Is it good for self defence

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 pm

A good self defense round should have sufficient energy to produce enough immediate shock and blood loss so that the assailant is not able to cause you harm during his last moments before dying. .22 lr has comparatively less stopping power. For understanding what is stopping power, search in google for "stopping power". Also a bigger hole by a larger diameter bullet is going to drain out blood faster.

Regardless of stopping power, shot placement is also very important. For example a shot in the brain regardless of caliber, is going to produce immediate paralysis and death. On the other hand a poorly placed shot of a bigger caliber is not going to produce any great result.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:39 am

sunildelta4 wrote:What is your opinion of .22 revolvers. Is it good for self defence
The simple answer is "NO".

However, the answer is not as simple as that. If I had nothing else but a .22 LR with me to defend my life, I would use it. For example, When armed with a .22LR, if someone is coming at you with a knife, you're most likely to end up getting cut. If your assailant is not that determined, the report might be enough to send him packing, especially if he has watched a lot of TV and movies and doesn't have much real life experience with handguns. :D
While shot placement is probably the most important thing when shooting to defend you life, your chances of having the time to take a leisurely aimed shot in a self-defense situation, is remote. That is why most trainers will instruct you to shoot for the center of mass. If you train to shoot at the center of mass, you have a chance of hitting when your body is jolted with adrenalin. With a .22 ,LR unless you are lucky enough to disable the central nervous system, your assailant is going to get to you. If he is at pistol ranges, even a shot through a vital organ, with a .22 in the chest cavity, will not stop him before he gets to you. While the same might be true of almost any handgun, it is even less so of the .22 LR. The .22LR bullet, with its relatively low muzzle energy, can be deflected easily. It can sometimes show a marked lack of penetration and expansion, especially if it encounters a solid object.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

tirpassion
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by tirpassion » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Friends,

The imagination of that someone who is approaching towards you with a knife can also approach you with a gun (the probability is more in a place where a gun can be procured legally without hassle) or just hit you off with a car when you are on the road or footpath for example or even approach you from your backside etc. etc. If we enlarge the horizon of our imagination, there can be many different scenarios. If that someone is determined (he would have premeditated his act), no bullet has the stopping power to stop him.

So, I prefer not to let that someone devour my mental energy. I love guns, the feel of it, the cocking sound of a handgun, the music of the cylinder rotating on the axle of a revolver, the smell of the black powder, the caressing and cajoling while cleaning them. The pleasures are endless :D . I buy them for their sheer beauty and precision in hitting a target. This is my personal viewpoint of owning guns.

best regards
tirpassion

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Once again shot placement and proficency will beat caliber any day.YMMV

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:11 pm

.22 pistols and guns are considered to be great survival rifles - Gary power U2 pilot shotdown by Soviets had silenced 22 pistol

"http://area51specialprojects.com/u2_mayday.html

Powers had insisted he had simply wandered off course and crossed into the Soviet Union unintentionally. But he had been shot down over Sverdlovsk, more than 1,300 miles inside the border, and his captors had recovered a wealth of incriminating evidence from his person and the wreckage of his aircraft: detailed flight maps, a Department of Defense/ Department of the Air Force ID card, Russian rubles, gold francs, a hunting knife, a silenced .22 pistol, and a seemingly innocuous pin found in the prisoner's pocket. Powers warned his captors to handle that last item with extreme caution.

shadowring
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by shadowring » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:07 pm

I totally agree with you. Most covert assassinations that takes place in the North East of India are executed with the .22lr. Chinese made .22 pistols are cheap
and can be readily discarded. Recent case in point where the chairman of the senior secondary board was killed http://kanglaonline.com/2011/01/board-o ... to-police/ Any other ammunition would have alerted the security personnels as the state's secretariat, police head Q and chief minister's house are within a 100m radius. It may be a little tough to kill a big game animal, but a human being at point blank is another story.
On a lighter note, I would love to get my hands on a Ruger SR22 :D
“Never mistake motion for action.”

sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by sa_ali » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I have always loved the ammo and more so in indian context, its more easily available and in more quality than any other. .22 i can pump in more fatal shots in quick span of time than any other caliber.
I know there is training issue, but still getting faster with .22 is much easier than other heavy caliber.

Rest we know, there as another post on the forum, where there was a cop turned post mortem expert, who said that he wont personally trust anything less .4 caliber for self defence, as he found to be most effective.
I couldnt find the thread on the site, but this is the link to the original
http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ball ... morgue.htm