Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

Post by axp817 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:20 pm

What weapon (knife/gun) do you carry on your person?
What kind of ammunition do you use for carry purposes?
How is the weapon holstered?

What weapon do you use for home defense?
How accessible is it?

Thanks,
Naren

For Advertising mail webmaster
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:51 pm

My answer,

Once I get my CCW permit (in a few weeks) I will start carrying my
Sig P220R DAK .45 ACP in a Desantis Speed Scabbard holster or a Shoulder Holster/Rig.

For carry ammunition, I plan on using Hornady 230 grain Hollow Point.

Home defense weapon is the same until I put a pistol grip, shorter barrel, and mag extension on my 12 gauge Pump.

-Naren

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:45 am

A 15" British Army Service Khukuri, a torch and a prayer. :roll:

A SAK Champ carried on my belt is my EDC but obviously not for self defense.

Mack The Knife

sat
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by sat » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:11 pm

Mack The Knife does not need a 15" Khukuri, the crooks will probably get scared the second they see him.... :lol: a handle bar moustache is all he need to add to his appearance

sat

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:51 pm

...and which beauty contest have you one? :roll:

:wink:

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:33 pm

No concealed carry is possible in Illinois though I have a Browning A-5, a Mauser custom rifle in 8mm and a Marlin 22 at home. I doubt that our gated community would ever be attacked, though, if it is, there are enough TSA and Police officers who own condos here and who would most probably be the first responders. If I had to defend myself it would be the Marlin - short barrel and ultra light weight makes the thing handy, it's tube magazine can be loaded with 13 rds and I have extreme confidence in the thing. Also there would be no risk of overpenetration if I were shooting and I missed.

Cheers,

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:42 am

Mehul,

You would be surprised with the amount of penetration that you can get with .22.Once shot at a plastic can filled with compacted sand with a 1"shisham board as a back stop from 10 ft.The bullet went through everything,and this was KF ammo

Take care,
penpusher

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:45 am

penpusher wrote: You would be surprised with the amount of penetration that you can get with .22.Once shot at a plastic can filled with compacted sand with a 1"shisham board as a back stop from 10 ft.The bullet went through everything,and this was KF ammo.
At what range?

Dry or wet sand?

What was the approximate diameter of the plastic can?

Considering shisham is amongst the hardest of hard woods, this is truly exceptional performance even if it was a solid high velocity round. After all, being a KF, it may fizzle out in the bore or go supersonic. :roll:

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Mack The Knife,

I can attest to good penetration with the 22 lr though I have not carried out any tests in controlled mediums etc. Over here poachers use them to down deer at short ranges all the time. It would be a stretch to say that they don't work. My friend Mark (whose property is where I shoot near St Louis and whose pictures you have seen on the old baords) has a son who loves shooting milk jugs filled with water. We have been able to get good hits even with 22 shorts out of a single shot rifle. Granted that a handgun with a short barrel is not the best of firearms to get ballistic performance from, I am not sure that many of the stories on the net are not apocryphal. There are people here who seem to think that you need a Freedom Arms revolver in their 500 Belted chambering for self defence. I have used a 25 Bernardelli on a mad dog and it put him down with little fuss at about 6 or 7 feet. No, I wasn't being attacked and I shot him from behind in the head so he slumped dead.

No, I would not prefer a 25 to a bigger bore. But I seriously doubt they are as bad as is being made out.

Cheers,

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 am

Mack The Knife,

The can was the sort that you get Brake oil in.The sand was dry but I compacted it the best I could.The distance was about 10 ft.I did not measure it.Could be a foot here or there.The wood board was atleast I" thick,maybe more.I fired only one shot, it went through everything,hit the wall and then clanged on to the door.This was in the front garden of my house and frightened me enough not to try anything foolish again with a .22 at my residence.Even I had thought that the KF round would not get through.This was based on my past experience of KF ammo.God knows what they had put in that one :) Made me stop thinking of .22 as kids stuff.I hope anybody else reading this post would learn something from this.

Take care,
penpusher

PS-Have fired my fathers .25 on tin cans.The bullet got through every time.Used S&B ammo.Dealers sometimes polish old ammo and sell it as new.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Sukhpreet

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:05 am

Dry sand or not that is still pretty impressive. I wonder if that particular KF round was loaded extra hot. Did it sound unreasonably loud?

Thanks for the details.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:10 am

mehulkamdar wrote:My friend Mark has a son who loves shooting milk jugs filled with water. We have been able to get good hits even with 22 shorts out of a single shot rifle.
Mehul,

At what range does Mark's son hit those water filled milk jugs, with what type of .22lr ammo, other than Shorts and what are the results?

I see that we have a new member named Mark. If he is the same person, I hope he can throw some more light on this subject.

Mack The Knife

cyrixoutside
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cyrixoutside » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:28 am

hi penpusher,

if it's possibel try shooting a harpic bottle with your dad's .25

and let us know the results.

:)

rajat

p.s - my .25 also would go through tin can's with ease and would make decent sized craters in walls

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:07 am

Mack The Knife,

It is the same Mark, my good friend and business partner. Brendan, his eldest son shoots the jugs at varying distances - it helps to have a range tight behind your house - and we have used standard velocity 22 lrs as well as 22 shorts. I haven't taken my Marlin there - the only one of my four guns that haven't travelled with me to Mark's place but then he has a huge gun safe with one more to come up shortly and there are always new guns to shoot when we go there. The stress is usually on fun shooting - no serious tests were performed though the last time we went there we worked up loads for my new Knight rifle.

Let me know what tests you want me to work on and I'll be more than happy to try them - I have CCI Blazers which my Marlin likes best and Federal Lightnings. I also had a box of Winchester Xperts but they didn't feed well in the Marlin (they are hollowpoints) though Mark's children all have their own 22 lr single shots and we could test them in one of those. If you want me to test hyper velocity ammunition we could do it in one of Mark's rifles - his 10/22 or one of his bolt rifles. My Marlin is not warranteed for use with hyper velocity ammunition.

Do let me have your suggestions and I'll be most happy to try them out and report back.

Cheers,

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:43 am

Rajat,

[/quote] my .25 also would go through tin can's with ease and would make decent sized craters in walls

I would strongly urge you not to shoot at walls with anything including airrifles or you maybe in for a nasty surprise.But if you still want to do it. next time you try that ,do tape it.You may get something to sell to a TV channel :D

Take care,
penpusher