Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

Post by Yaj » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:26 am

I think dogs make a great first line of defense/alarm. Most "sensible" robbers would avoid a house where dogs start barking and risk waking everybody up, it's not worth the risk to them.they can always choose an easier target.
Things can be different if they have a specific reason to target your house viz enmity or hard info about loot.
Most dogs are pretty good "watch dogs" ,hearing/sensing an intruder and raising alarm.
A "guard dog" has to have the mental and physical ability to take on an armed intruder. Taking on a 50 kg dog with right temperament is really not advisable with a knife of any size in hand.If they get a hold of any part of your body they can crush bone or cause grievous harm in seconds.
A firearm is a different matter altogether though with a schutzhund type trained dog would probably trouble there too. I have seen post mortem pics of a robber who was mauled by a sweet looking Rottie, let me tell you quite scary!

As for Indian breeds, most Indian breeds are great watch dogs.
The sighthounds like the caravan hound,rampur hound are quite often required to function as watchdogs/guard dogs on plantations and farms.What they lack in weight they make up with speed,lightning fast reflexes and temperament.

The rajaplayam which is actually a boarhound is reputed to be a great guard dog.

But as a guard dog I think the Indian mastiffs are tremendous, i would love to see someone try to take on one with a knife,it would make interesting viewing.
These are dogs which average 30-31 inches at the withers, weighing 60 kg or more,awesome strength and agility, tremendous pain tolerance,powerful jaws and a natural guarding instinct.

The Gaddi kutta in Himachal,and the tibetan mastiff have great reputations as guard dogs too.

As for myself I have a Caravan hound male,indian pariah b**ch and an Indian mastiff b**ch so no alarms needed. If the robber survives that the next line of defense would be a 19" Gelbu special or an axe (no fire arms as yet unfortunately)
Yaj

For Advertising mail webmaster
Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:43 am

Best bet, live in a safe suburban area with low crime rates and a first rate police department.

Here too there are kids on drugs who routinely break into neighbors homes to steal. Most of them steal during the day, if confronted they can be deadly. Best bet on coming home if you find somebody in, head for the exit and call 911.
These kids will steal money, medicines, wine etc.
Some steal credit card numbers and other financial items to run up bills on your account.
A gun is no protection against them, they are masters of stealth. Moroever the burden is on the homeowner to justify shooting them.

A good homeowners insurance policy helps cover the losses.

Satpal

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:52 am

Satpal

So having those expensive alarms and brinks calling police etc is all hype..I agree cell phone and 911 are the best bet out.

Gun in a hand can even confuse the police and burden of proof can be an issue also..

Rgds

Satpal_S
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by Satpal_S » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:03 am

yep,

These goofy kids know all about alarms. Have them in their own homes. Irony is they come from decent families, yet they are sheilded by their parents and therefore do not have a rap sheet.

They just steal enough to get their drugs. Yet a person feels violated when coming home you find the place has been gone over.

Other than these petty thefts and car break ins, crime is almost non-existant in the nicer suburbs.

Satpal

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:27 am

Yaj";p="11418 wrote: The rajaplayam which is actually a boarhound is reputed to be a great guard dog.

A friend of mine used to have a rajapalyam.I second your opinion that they make good guard dogs.

Any idea about mudhols?

Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:31 am

The Mudhol hound is just another name for the Caravan hound though some of its fanciers beg to differ.It is an excellent watch/guard dog ,extremely alert, ability to patrol large areas due to its speed.Very popular in the Deccan area to guard farmhouses and plantations/orchards.
Yaj.

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:49 am

Yaj,
You had a pic of himin your profile all along! how'd I miss that :?
Pran
"A gun is a tool, Marian. No better, no worse than any other tool. An axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Pran";p="11451 wrote:Yaj,
You had a pic of himin your profile all along! how'd I miss that :?
Pran
Thats right :)
Here are some pics of my pack.

Yaj.

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:02 pm

Hey those are some nice pics of Desi's...

If I am not wrong the white one is caravan hound.. Look like a Grey hound are they both same or different breeds?

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Pran
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by Pran » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:16 pm

Yaj,
Nice dogs.Thanks for the pics.Liked the Caravan in particular.
Pran

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:21 pm

Beautiful dogs,Yaj. Nice to see that you have all native breeds.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:53 am

kanwar76";p="11865 wrote:Hey those are some nice pics of Desi's...

If I am not wrong the white one is caravan hound.. Look like a Grey hound are they both same or different breeds?

-Inder
Thanks for the kind words guys!

Yes ,the white male is the caravan hound. They are sighthounds like the greyhound but more similar to the Saluki and Azwakh in conformation.
The greyhounds are extremely fast sprinters whereas the caravan hounds are fast sprinters and have great stamina too.
It is an indigenous breed and much superior to the greyhound in our conditions .I have personally seen greyhounds developing blisters on their feet after a day out on hard ground in our sunny climes wheras our native dogs can run all day with no problems.
I have been collecting data and trying to popularise indian dog breeds,it is a pet crusade of mine :wink: .
Yaj.

danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:17 pm

Nice dogs yaj....

Is caravan hound pups are easily available ? What diet they take ?

Danish

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Whats the black and white one Yaj?
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Thanks Yaj,

One more question how to differentiate between Caravan and Grey Hound as they look same to un-experienced eye.

Jefe,
If I am not wrong its Indian Mastiff

-Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...