Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

A posts related to self defence/ home defence. Please post anything related to legal aspects in the 'Legal Eagle' section.
Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Your Concealed Carry and/or Home defense weapon

Post by Yaj » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:00 pm

danish21";p="11943 wrote: Nice dogs yaj....

Is caravan hound pups are easily available ? What diet they take ?

Danish
Thanks Danish! Yes they are quite easily available..In fact a friend of my breeds them.I got my dog from him when he was a 3 month old pup( Actually thats how we met and are good friends now).The caravan hound is one of the few Indian breeds which the Kennel Club of India has deigned to recognise. So my dog is from champion lines going back a few generations.
Caravans in the rural areas thrive on a meagre diet of bhakri made out of jowar or ragi,occassionally dried fish and even more rarely meat. Of course you have the occasional doting owner who has a milch buffalo exclusively for the dog :)
But these dogs grow exceptionally well on a frugal diet and require very little veterinary help.
My dog are of course spoilt on a much richer diet :oops:

eljefe";p="11946 wrote: Whats the black and white one Yaj?
Axx
As Inder rightly pointed out she is an Indian mastiff. She is just one year old and still has to mature. These dogs are also referred to as "bully kutta" in Punjab and in Pakistan. Though the term Bully Kutta as used in Pakistan is a very loose term and may refer to any fighting Mastiff breed even a Western mastiff.
kanwar76";p="11951 wrote: Thanks Yaj,

One more question how to differentiate between Caravan and Grey Hound as they look same to un-experienced eye.

-Inder
The greyhound is built like a 100 metre sprinter is in human athletics.Bulging muscles, huge hind quarters and a broader loin.The head is different too with a slightly bulging forehead and very slim weak muzzle.the ears too are generally curved back or what is called "rose" ears.

The Caravan hound is built like "400m to 3000m" runner. A more refined body, the muscle are flat and dry not too loaded.
The head is sleek with absolutey no stop and much stronger jaws.The ears are pendant and held flat at rest.
The Caravans have much better feet with very tough pads which can withstan the roughest terrain and the burning hot plains of the Deccan.

Yaj.

For Advertising mail webmaster
danish21
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by danish21 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:53 pm

Thanks for the information yaj. If in future i make my mind to keep one caravan hound then i'll contact you.

Danish

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:52 am

Yaj

Congrats great pictures and wonderful dogs..there is another gent here from Patiala who owns a Bully Kutta..( man what a tacky name in Punglish) Bully + Kutta ( Dog)..
We always discuss about guns being expensive talk about buying pups in India, there some crazy stories there..owning exotic breeds is also a status symbol..sorry guys we should start a new thread..its OT

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:47 pm

Three handsome dogs that I`ve never heard of before.
- That tan dog is built like a Dingo !
The gaze hound is interesting......short haired like a Greyhound but carries its ears like a Saluki.
The black and white dog must be a big feller......really chunky.
So which one is your retriever ? :wink: :lol:

Yaj
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Yaj » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:32 pm

danish21";p="11980 wrote: Thanks for the information yaj. If in future i make my mind to keep one caravan hound then i'll contact you.

Danish
Sorry for the late reply guys! Just recovered from a hard disk crash!

You're welcome Danish! Feel free to get in touch with me for any additional info.

ngrewal";p="12071 wrote:

Congrats great pictures and wonderful dogs..there is another gent here from Patiala who owns a Bully Kutta..( man what a tacky name in Punglish) Bully + Kutta ( Dog)..
We always discuss about guns being expensive talk about buying pups in India, there some crazy stories there..owning exotic breeds is also a status symbol..sorry guys we should start a new thread..its OT
Thanks mate! Some people from Pakistan say the name originates from the term "Bohli kutta" meaning wrinkled dog. But I've not been able to confirm thr proper origin of the term "Bohli".

Grumpy";p="12094 wrote: Three handsome dogs that I`ve never heard of before.
- That tan dog is built like a Dingo !
The gaze hound is interesting......short haired like a Greyhound but carries its ears like a Saluki.
The black and white dog must be a big feller......really chunky.
So which one is your retriever ? :wink: :lol:
Thanks Grumpy ! The tan dog is an Indian Pariah which is an aboriginal breed like the Dingo which you may know is supposed to have accompanied travellers from Asia to the Australian continent.

The gazehound in conformation is very similar to the saluki and in fact like we have smooth salukis and feathered salukis, the feathered variant of the Caravan hound is called "Pashmi"

The black and white female is just 1 yr old and will get chunkier :wink: .She is 28" at the withers.
Don't have a retriever but the Caravan is a guided missile :twisted: :lol:

Yaj.

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:24 pm

I used to practice ordnary air rifle of .22 of national make on wooden target at the terrace of my house I used to think rather used to underestimate air rifles .Once I removed the wood I came for a big surprise wall made of hard bricks and cement was full of holes like of bullets.Mr Sidhu is quite right I used to fire from a distance of 14-16 feets.iT means even airrifle can be lethal.
regards

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:34 pm

Dsingh,

Check out this post

Specifically this -
When you shoot an air rifle, the pellets all land close to each other. Down at the trap, those pellets land like an impact chisel! Each shot tries to go deeper than the one before. I know of a case where a shooter shot a 30 foot-pound air rifle (Webley Patriot) through his Daisy pellet trap (rated to just 6 foot-pounds!) then through a cinderblock wall behind the trap (he had no safety backstop!) and through the control panel of his wife's dryer on the other side of the wall! Granted it took almost 100 shots for all that to happen, but he KILLED his wife's clothes dryer!
and this -
In World War II, Standard Products of Detroit made M1 Carbines that they tested in their plant. They had a backstop of 10 feet of wet sand, backed by a concrete block wall. Needless to say there weren't very many real shooters working at Standard Products. One night early in production, the inevitable happened. They shot through the wall and began spraying bullets around the neighborhood! It may not happen all the time but it happens more frequently than it should.
In essence - often times what would seem to be a good enough backstop for the power of the airgun/ small cal firearm you are using, IS ONLY good enough for a few shots. When shot after shot is sent into the same general area, even a low powered air-rifle can slowly erode the backstop material and eventually shots will begin to go through it...

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

dsingh
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dsingh » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanx for for giving good knowldge gentlemen.Iam now more careful while practising.
regards

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 am

Best home defense gun, 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buck or 0 buck. great amount of close range energy, since most home defense events would be close up. also increased hit probability with shotgun over pistol or rifle since most folks lose their fine motor skills/control in this type of situation, unless you have trained very well. The shot will not generally over penetrate like rifle rounds will. I once investigated a law enforcement shooting where one of our guys fired 19 rounds from a .223 mini 14. he was shooting at a moving vehicle and only hit it once. He hit a nearby house twice and the round I found went through the exterior wall, 3 interior walls and lodged in the far side of the house wall. You don't want to kill your neighbor missing the bad guy.

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:05 pm

Serious Redneck";p="30872 wrote: Best home defense gun, 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buck or 0 buck. great amount of close range energy, since most home defense events would be close up. also increased hit probability with shotgun over pistol or rifle since most folks lose their fine motor skills/control in this type of situation, unless you have trained very well. The shot will not generally over penetrate like rifle rounds will. I once investigated a law enforcement shooting where one of our guys fired 19 rounds from a .223 mini 14. he was shooting at a moving vehicle and only hit it once. He hit a nearby house twice and the round I found went through the exterior wall, 3 interior walls and lodged in the far side of the house wall. You don't want to kill your neighbor missing the bad guy.
Serious Redneck,

Unfortunately buckshot has been declared illegal in India for the past 20 odd years or so... :roll: So if one is using a scattergun for home defence, one is limited to BB or No. 1 shot OR slugs - which last option defeats the entire purpose of using shotty as opposed to a handgun!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 am

I suppose BB would do the job within the confines of a home. Average room in a house may be 3-4 meters across, thus you might have spread of a handbreadth.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:44 pm

SR,

In the cities folks prefer hand guns,out in the country the choice is Shotguns & Rifles which actually has more to do with the economics than any thng else.

Even for hand guns,for the most part Cal is restricted upto .32 :(

Per a recent report India is supposed to have the max no of civilian fire arms after the US,which is kind of dificult to digest :shock:

Have a nice day :)

Sanjay

Serious Redneck
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Serious Redneck » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:53 am

Sanjay, I figure most folks have a gun or two or three in their homes here, its possible we have more per capita, but I know your nation has a bit more total population. I think you prefrences are the same even here; handguns for city folk and long guns for country folk, myself, I have different uses for both.

Happy Day

island-miami
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re:

Post by island-miami » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:57 pm

-- Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:29 pm --
island-miami wrote:
Ranjeet Singh wrote:I couldn't agree more with Mehul that a large man with a knife could very easily get through any dog. It might be a little difficult if you have a 'schutzhund' trained dog
:deadhorse: A stun baton would be a more effective defense Image

http://security-office.us/documents/stun_baton.html