Thompson Center designs a bolt action rifle

Posts related to rifles.
mehulkamdar

Thompson Center designs a bolt action rifle

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:30 am

Link to an article on the Icon.

Taken over recently by Smith and Wesson, Thompson Center, makers of the superb Contender and Encore single shot rifles seem to have made a really fine bolt action rifle. The action is apparently made only in Chrome Moly and the rifle comes with a wood stock for under $ 1000 suggested retail. The initial rifles are only available in .308 class chamberings though longer actions are planned. Tests on the Long Range Hunting forums seem to indicate that several of the shooters there were very impressed and groups of 1" at 200 yards seem to be almost common. A handsome looking rifle to my eye - I'll look forward to seeing them at Gander Mountain or Bass Pro in the future.

Cheers!

For Advertising mail webmaster
jonahpach
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Thompson Center designs a bolt action rifle

Post by jonahpach » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:54 pm

Wow Mehul.. I guess it would be better that the half a centurey old 303 that I get to shoot every now and then..
Speak softly and carry a big gun!

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Thompson Center designs a bolt action rifle

Post by Grumpy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Good grief, an American rifle with a solid top action and a butterknife bolt handle - American gunmaking moves into the 20th century ! Now all it needs is a cheek piece on the stock.........
Nice looking rifle. It does seem to be rather heavy and it`s difficult to see where weight could be removed in order to produce a lightweight but that`s about my only criticism.
If it comes in on price AND we don`t get ripped off too much in Europe I can see me taking a close look at one.
By the way Mehul. the first sentence of the first paragraph states that Gregg Ritz now owns TC.