IOF .22 LR rifle

Posts related to rifles.
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: IOF .22 LR rifle

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:32 am

indigo_indo wrote:i recently got a used .22 gun and got the stock maodified by my own carpentar and gun blued by local gun smith but wen i test fired it to my horror the fired rounds are not ejected. What could be the reason , may be the acid treatment and chenical dipping may have tightened the seat of the rifle cartride. , or a loose spring ,

my freinds please guide what to do...

regards

rohit
With a .22 RF failure to extract is usually caused by excessive dry firing, and a firing pin that strikes the chamber rim. This will raise a burr that catches the fired case, and the extractor will slip off the rim. Second, could be a weak or broken extractor spring, or broken extractor. Take the bolt out, put a cartridge into the bolt face under the extractor, and pull the cartridge straight forward. If it readily pulls out, it's the extractor/spring. If not, and only after firing, it's a chamber burr. Any gunsmith worthy of the name can fix that for you by ironing out that burr. Good luck.

For Advertising mail webmaster
indigo_indo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by indigo_indo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 pm

well i was very disappointed with performance ( or bullshit ) of my gun when it stuck the cartridge on very fist attempt.. luckily i found a good gun smith in our own city and he rectified the problem by making the chamber seat of the rifle smooth by his jugaad and aligned the magzine and i just brought it back from him test fired it three times and to mi surprise , the rifle is just same as i used to shoot "videshi " guns like brno etc.

He told me that iof products are under-machined so we have option to get then reworked .A tight seating og fun can be loosened but problem arises when there is loose seating.

the real problem was that the previous owner did not used or tried to use the gun extensively , just kept it for having a gun. So dd not bothered to get it ok. the grooves are in a brand new position and am advised to put a drop of oil before firing as to prevent occasional jamming. After say 100 fires it will be better.

i will go to range on sunday and try the results and grouping will decide what is outcome.

but as far as the gun is there it is working and lethal and that is also important factor.
If you want peace ; you have to be prepared for war.....

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:26 am

indigo_indo wrote:and am advised to put a drop of oil before firing
The fellow who told you this needs to have his head examined.Shoot with a dry bore and chamber.Oiled cartridges are used to proof test firearms.

When you fire a firearm,the cartridge case expands momentarily,gripping the chamber walls.If you shoot with oil in the chamber,the case is not able to grip the chamber walls.It leads to increased bolt thrust.Bolt thrust is basically the rearward pressure on the bolt.

I am sure more knowledgeable members will correct me if I am wrong.

Also,if the chamber is undersized ,you need a .22 reamer to bring it to the correct specs.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7724 ... CARTRIDGES

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:46 am

winnie_the_pooh wrote:
indigo_indo wrote:and am advised to put a drop of oil before firing
The fellow who told you this needs to have his head examined.Shoot with a dry bore and chamber.Oiled cartridges are used to proof test firearms.

Only the British proof method used an oiled case/chamber and actually measurering the rearward (bolt) thrust; then calculating the pressure. Continental Europe and the US used a copper crusher located at the side of the case, no oil. European and US methods differed in that the Europeans pre-drilled the case, getting slightly lower, but more consistent, readings. Today Piezo transducers are used instead of copper crushers, again the placement methods differ, giving slightly different readings.

A shot fired from an oiled bore will go wide of the group fired from a dry bore. The bore should always be wiped dry before shooting, and the first shot not fired for group.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:26 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Only the British proof method used an oiled case/chamber and actually measurering the rearward (bolt) thrust; then calculating the pressure. Continental Europe and the US used a copper crusher located at the side of the case, no oil. European and US methods differed in that the Europeans pre-drilled the case, getting slightly lower, but more consistent, readings. Today Piezo transducers are used instead of copper crushers, again the placement methods differ, giving slightly different readings.
Reminds me of the story of the war between Lilliput and Blefuscu :D Thanks for the information.

indigo_indo
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by indigo_indo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:36 pm

well after much hype and turmoil i now carry a .22 lr which shoots good with "videshi " lapua or Winchester ammo , but on kf tis totally a fail , since when i fire lapua and Winchester there is visible hit mark on the cartridge but on kf there is not at all any mark of hit , am still unable to understand , the size of both videshi and desi cartridge seems same to me , however i have not measire the thickness of the rim. or may be the firing pin is little smaller that does not make up for a hit on rim. still mi voes not seems to end .. please advice me seniors waht to check and do ....
If you want peace ; you have to be prepared for war.....

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:22 pm

A gun smith, Sabirbhai at Dehradoon, has a reputation of modifying iof .22 rifles into brno with change of stock and tapering of the barrel with bluing. He claims iof is as accurate as brno! If interested contact him at 9897336996. His stocks are simply immaculate with chequering to match the best.

BowMan
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by BowMan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:10 am

Dear Andy,
I believe the gunsmith being referred to is Sabirbhai. His shop cum residence is adjoining the old city bus stand, his shop name is perhaps Dehra Arms, and his mobile is 9897336996.

andy_65_in
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by andy_65_in » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:00 pm

is the IOF .22 rifle selling thru the IOF these days

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi all,
Whats the latest price of IOF .22 rifles. and also the modified Tricyply IOF.
My 3rd and final lic. is through.( I 've been told, Three firearms are all we are auth. to keep) I have 6 mnth purchasing time.
Anybody willing to part .22 rifle indian / imported :D

Thanks in advance,
TS

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:31 am

AFAIK there is no manufacture of .22 at OFT. you are also mentioning a '' modified model'' . This is also interesting and who knows about these secret monkeys

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

veeveeaar wrote:AFAIK there is no manufacture of .22 at OFT. you are also mentioning a '' modified model'' . This is also interesting and who knows about these secret monkeys

Hi,
I have seen .22 IOF. Said to be modified in Trichy. Much smaller , shorter,lighter and tapering barrel.
Don't know about the accuracy.

Regards,
TS

bandukbhandar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by bandukbhandar » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:57 am

Why the members hesitate in calling factory directly, whether they are supplying modified .22 rifles.

contact details are available on www.ofbindia.gov.in

target shooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by target shooter » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

bandukbhandar wrote:Why the members hesitate in calling factory directly, whether they are supplying modified .22 rifles.

contact details are available on http://www.ofbindia.gov.in
Not sure if its the OFB Trichy or some private armorer in Trichy.
I think this reason should suffice for not calling the factory.
If some information are tuck away up in your sleeve regarding this matter please donot hasitate to share with us.

Regards,
TS

Lawman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Lawman » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:24 am

Hi, I am getting a brand new .22 IOF rifle. The price is 58K. Is the price reasonable ?

And for your information, I had a chat with a RFI officer today who told me that the booking is now open for .22 rifle but the waiting period is 10-12 months.

Lawman