IOF .22 LR rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:43 pm

have u changed any of the screws of ur iof.22?
Yes. Go to the first post on this thread and read the bit under 'stock'.
how did u do the checkering?
What you see is called stippling. I do my stippling using the business end of the reamer on my Victorinox Swiss Tool Plus.

For Advertising mail webmaster
cherian.k.k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by cherian.k.k » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Mack The Knife can u tell whatreamer is and how is it used
cherian

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: IOF .22 LR rifle

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 pm

I use the larger multitool seen in the pic.

I just tap away at the wood until I get the desired texture/finish.

art_collector
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by art_collector » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Mack The Knife,

Your checkering is indeed amazing....have u done it on ur 12 bore stock also or did it have the beautiful checkering originally.

AC

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 am

For the last and final time...what you see is known as STIPPLING.
have u done it on ur 12 bore stock also.
No. That is the original chequering. The reason for stippling the IOF was to get rid of those diamonds scratched into the stock by some twit at IOF.

snIPer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by snIPer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:59 pm

For more info on Stippling please check - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stippling
On my Epitaph - Off to Happy Hunting Grounds.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:15 am

Mack The Knife, if you are going to include pictures of your feet you could at least paint your toe-nails ! :roll: :lol:
I reckon the woodwork on your IOF looks better than that of the Brno......and it hasn`t got the stupid Schnabel fore-end.
Is this the same rifle that I congratulateded you on the stippling or was that one of your air-rifles ? Looks REALLY good anyway.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:17 am

Can IOF's action be just dropped in Brno's stock or there are big differences in inletting :?:
I have never tried but I doubt it will be a direct drop in, otherwise I would have ordered one of those polymer stocks from CZ for it.
I just love the stipling on your rifles...I am wondereing how my D52 will look after some stipling from you :D :D

I could do it but I will be charging here onwards. Removing old finish, stippling and oil finishing the stock - Rs.10,000.00
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:49 am

nm";p="32849 wrote:Mack The Knife,

After your IOF .22, I am quite tempted to go in for one....

-Nishant
It's not a tack driver but it can almost be made into one. Out of all the Indian airguns and firearms this is probably still the best of the lot and the most value for money firearm you can buy in India. You have to work on it though and by that I don't mean the stock.

However, if you can get a good deal on a well maintained Brno or CZ, I would recommend you buy one of those instead.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:02 am

Mack The Knife, if you are going to include pictures of your feet you could at least paint your toe-nails ! :roll: :lol:
With or without glitter?
I reckon the woodwork on your IOF looks better than that of the Brno......and it hasn`t got the stupid Schnabel fore-end.
Well, I prefer the Brno and I think you will too if you handle both stocks.
Is this the same rifle that I congratulateded you on the stippling or was that one of your air-rifles ? Looks REALLY good anyway.
Perhaps. Here are a few old pics showing both.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:57 am

I`d just like to point out that the Brno and CZs, whilst both being `mini-Mauser` designs are not exactly the same.
To reduce the weight of the IOF significantly there is little point in slimming down the woodwork as the bulk of the weight is in the barrel. Whilst it is possible to reprofile the barrel I tend to doubt that there is anyone in India who could be reliably trusted to do the work without messing up the crown. If recrowning is not a problem then any skilled machinist could do the job. The barrel will have to be removed from the action to do the job.
I`ve just cut back the barrel on a BSA International Mk II from 29.5" to 19.5", recrowned the barrel and rechambered it to .22 WMR ( .22 Magnum. ) It`s still very heavy but much steadier now.
Is the plastic stock you refer to the one fitted to the 452 Sihouette model ? That`s quite a nice stock. The early examples were a bit ropey but the current production is pretty good.
I see now why you were interested in the Mexican Aguila SSS 60 gr heavyweight subsonic - a 1 in 8" twist is ridiculously fast for 45 gr ( or lighter ) .22 lr bullets.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 am

And a Schnabel fore-end is still stupid on a .22lr.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:52 am

Grumpy,

Recrowning is not a problem. Taking the barrel out of the receiver may well prove to be a headache. I have a feeling the barrel has been sweated into the receiver.

One could always reprofile the stock's barrel channel to suit, if one was not bothered about the weight.

Yes, I think I was refering to the CZ 452 Silhouette. The black coloured stock.
I vaguely recall two of the CZ452 models as having black polymer stocks.

Never heard of a 45 grain .22lr bullet. BTW, I saw a post of yours to Mark with a reference to a new super .22 round. Would that be a .22lr round?

Mack The Knife

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:09 am

The barrel of the IOF .22 is pinned into the action.

Bobby does a very good job of re-profiling the barrel and then re-stocking the rifle.He also puts in new sights and probably re-crowns it as well.He can also glass bed or free float the barrel.That the second option,considering the stock screw that goes into the base of the foresight clamp that goes around the barrel, would have any affect on the accuracy,is questionable Best would be fully glass bed the action and the barrel.

The main point to consider is whether to re-profile the barrel or not.Considering the fact that the barrel is hammer forged, there is the possibility of the barrel bending or bulging during this process.As per Bobby,it has not happened so far with the ones that he has worked on.But then this is still a possibility,however small, that you should keep in mind.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:16 am

I meant a 40 gr bullet but there are 45/46 gr bullets around - quite a few.
The `Super` .22 rimfire was supposedly in developement about three or four years ago - just after the advent of the .17 HMR. It was reckoned to be a .22 WMR with a lengthened case. The idea was to achieve somewhere near .22 Hornet performance from a rimfire. The problem being of course, that rimfire performance is limited by the pressure the case can handle because the base can`t be thickened very much - it has to deform to ignite the primer material. Increase the pressure too much and the base blows off.