Advice on savage .22" hornet rifle

Posts related to rifles.
Gurbir
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Advice on savage .22" hornet rifle

Post by Gurbir » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:18 pm

hello everybody
i need advice of experts on savage rifles, especially .22" hornet a dealer is offering one for 1.30Lacs, haven't seen the rifle just talked to dealer over phone so pls advise.
"Knowledge without practice is useless, Practice without knowledge is dangerous"

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Advice on savage .22" hornet rifle

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:10 pm

What model ?

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Savage in general makes good rifles, accurate and easy to mantain. I have two.

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Savage makes good rifles and the ,22 Hornet is a great round for varminting within 200 yards, but .22 hornet ammo in India is expensive and varminting is not allowed. You are probably going to end up shooting at a target. In that case ur better off with a .22 rimfire. If u want a centre fire rifle then why not go up the calibre?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:24 am

Sound advice above. Except for varminting, the .22 Hornet is useless for all purposes in India.Underpowered for game over the size of a hare and hunting is banned any way..22 is a much less expensive way to have fun.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 am

I agree .22 Hornet isnt a viable gun for plincking due to reasons given by members here. I would rather go for .3006 or .22 LR. But few chaps I know in Punjab are crazy about this.

Best

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

I would love to have a .22 Hornet -- I think that the big rationale for the caliber is that it is reloadable and one has a selection of bullets. It isn't one of those shoulder rockets like a .22 250, but it's quieter and cheaper to shoot. Just the thing for some kinds of varminting, such as the kind I like to do.

If you are not reloading, however, and if you can't varmint, then I feel that the advice about getting a .22 LR is pretty sound.

Regarding Savage, as Two Rivers asked, what model are you looking at? If you are looking at a Model 340, they are a pretty good and serviceable rifle. They are not slim and trim like Savage Model 23, but the Model 23 is something you should be careful of.

The Model 23 can be distinguished by its one-piece barrel and receiver. You can't rebarrel one of these. That's not a problem, but the steel used is a bit soft and with much use, the Model 23 can develop excessive headspace. If you are looking at one of these, and you are still determined to get a Hornet, I would have a gunsmith check the headspace of any Model 23 before you buy it.
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman