match model 30 06

Posts related to rifles.
shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

match model 30 06

Post by shanky_66 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 am

how can we obtain match model?

Can we take old stock weapon and convert it into match model?

Will it be good enough?

Throw some light guys on this please.

thanks.

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: match model 30 06

Post by Sakobav » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:06 am

shanky

Are you inquiring whether an 3006 rifle can upgraded to a target match model?

Well any rifle can be made more accurate e.g. free floating the barrel/glass bedding, making the trigger more lighter, using match grade ammo but all of this requires very competent gun smith and is dependent on the resources one can afford i.e. time, money and accessibility.

You can check the IOF .22 rifle thread where some of these enhancements are mentioned. Not sure whether such a rifle can be considered Match grade rest it always depends in the shooter and his/her practice. If you can post more specifics of your gun other experienced members then can better guide you.

best

Timnorris
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Timnorris » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:21 am

If you are serious about hitting a good score in a rifle competetion then do not modify the rifle into a match rifle...................match rifles have bull barrels and many other features which you cant get in a regular 30-06...............modification may improve it a bit but not much............best is to import one

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 am

"ahhh but there's a hole in the bucket dear lisa...a hole"-Harry Belafonte.

Imports of firearms are banned dear Tim. So till you hit the MQS, one will have to make do with what exists in the market or try to modify a sporter. According to one renowned shot he also began by modifying a sporter with peep sights, crude cheek raiser etc. That is the normal option to most big bore shooters.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:13 am

Shanky,

Could you please tell us in a bit more detail about what you intend to do with the rifle? Is it your plan to compete in big bore rifle shooting? Have you prior experience? How familiar are you with rifles and big bore shooting?Will help us give you relevant info if you could post in detail instead of one liners.Thanks.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:07 pm

What is your basic platform? budget? what match do you want to take part in? if this is a hardcore question, we have enough people here to help you out, but more details will help...
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

match model 30 06

Post by shanky_66 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:54 pm

i am planning to start shooting big bore competition. Want to take part in nov competition. Need gun to practice that. Has acquired required licence.

I have been shootin air pistol and has small range at home for the same.

i also have .32 walther protection model.

Now i am looking for original match model 30 06 rifles. if you know any one who wants to sell it pl let me know.

One option i am planning to consider is to buy an american property or army old guns sold by our army guys and get it converted in to a match weapon.

I am based in mumbai and know few gunsmith who has done it before. I know this is not the best option.

But then what is the solution. Need some gun to practice. Now i can practice with .22 but scenario of 30 06 is entirely different.

I seek advise on which are the good models or companies makes guns can withstand match pressure.

I know i can import one if i achieve reno shooters norm. but for that i need to practice with 30 06.

Thanks and best regards,

Shashank

dilip
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by dilip » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:58 pm

when will this import ban will be removed

http://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7421#
Powale Arms Repaires and Dealer Mumbai

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Shanky:

1. I dont think the .30-06 would be an ideal weapon to begin 300M shooting. Try finding a 6.5x55 or 243 Win or a 8mm Mauser.
2. Shooting Air Pistol and Big Bore is like comparing bi-cycling to the neighbourhood tea shop to the tour de france. Thecnically both are bicycling but that is about it.
3. Not sure about what you mean by match model, but I would be pleasently surprised if there are armourers in India who can replace the barrel on the .30-06 to built a match platform. While the process is simple, it is the lack of components that will be the let down.
4. You can not use a .22 to practise at 300M. If you do not believe me, go ahead and attempt it.

The army folks generally tend to have Garands, and I am sure the garand is not the ideal weapon to begin 300M competition with.

You are going to need a lot of practise, especially with the wind reading, and understanding the ballistics of your ammo.
In no way do I want to bust your bubble, but it looks a little bit of an uphill battle to become a Renkown Shot this November.

What exactly is .32 Walther Protection Model? Just curious.

Good luck with your quest for a match rifle.
Last edited by MoA on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lazybones
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by lazybones » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 pm

Shanky: My feeling is that your major constraint is going to be ammo. Practicing for a November deadline is going to take lots of ammo regardless of the bore. What's the allowance on your license ?

Ashok

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:17 am

Shanky: Being limited in your choice of rifles, and calibers/cartridges you can obtain in India, you obviously cannot follow the good suggestions made. Therefore, for the "poor man's match rifle"....

1. Reshape the stock by glueing on extra wood and reshaping. If no one can build you one from scratch.
2. Glass-bed the action, leaving the barrel free-floated.
3. Add appropriate sights.
4. Improve and lighten trigger pull.
5. Possibly shorten barrel to 20". Much noisier, but will be a comparatively stiffer barrel, and will dampen barrel vibration. In any case, check crown, and re-crown if necessary.
6. Experiment with a clamp-on barrel weight to see where you get best results with your ammo. Lead wire solder wrapped around the barrel and taped in place will work. Then experiment with the position on the barrel, moving it 2" at a time, and leave it where the group is smallest. This will require a good and steady rest from a bench and a 100 meter range.

.30-06 match ammo is loaded to no higher pressure than hunting ammo or military ball. All will be well within the established limit for the particular cartridge. Though ball ammo may be loaded to a lower pressure than the established standard.

Now, all my suggestions won't give you the equivalent of a G&E in 6.5x47 Lapua; but beggars can't be choosers, as the saying goes. Finding a decent used match rifle would be better. If you have to start with a sporter, a Remington M721/700 is what I'd be looking for for this purpose. Good luck!

shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shanky_66 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:31 pm

THANKS A TON TWO RIVERS.

Will try to take these point into consideration.

I have some one who can make new stock. Thinking of walnut or something like that.

But as said would be happy to buy used match models in good condition.

Is there any one who wants to sell Rimington m 721 / 700? Pl do write in. I am interested.

Regards,

Shashank

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:43 pm

Suggest you look for a 30-06 .You should be able to fid one in decent cndition-but will cost you between 1-5 to 5 lacs.
then follow tworivers advice.
Ammo is easily vavailable in this caliber, so I guess its the best bet for you.Ask your Mumbai gunsmith if he can 'true' the action/bolt, make sure all bolt lugs take equal pressure.also, if he can bed the action using fibreglass or marine epoxy and free float the barrel.
Good Luck! 8)
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shanky_66 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:37 am

DECIDED TO BUY 1917 ENFILD ACTION REMIGTON 30.06. SPOKEN TO FEW FRIENDS TO GETTING IT CONVERTED TO SUITE MATCH.
SINCE THIS IS ARMY GUN. IT HAS BETTER BARREL THAN SPORTING RIFLE. AS IT IS WHERE NEW GUNS ARE AVAILABLE HERE IN INDIA?
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS MINIMUM QUALIFYING SCORE WHICH WILL ALLOW US TO IMPORT ONE?

REGARDS.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:05 pm

Shanky,

Please do not type in caps, it akin to shouting.

The M1917 is a decent rifle, but I wouldnt bet on the barrel being better than a sporting rifle. There have been huge changes in metallurgy sin the begining of the 20th century amongst other factors. You might even be better off getting the IOF .30-06 and importing tang sights and having those installed. As well as having a custom one piece stock made, bedded and floated barrel to boot.

On the MQS question, I am looking for that answer as well.