match model 30 06

Posts related to rifles.
cottage cheese
Veteran
Veteran

Re: match model 30 06

Post by cottage cheese » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:13 pm

shanky_66 wrote:DECIDED TO BUY 1917 ENFILD ACTION REMIGTON 30.06. SPOKEN TO FEW FRIENDS TO GETTING IT CONVERTED TO SUITE MATCH.
SINCE THIS IS ARMY GUN. IT HAS BETTER BARREL THAN SPORTING RIFLE. AS IT IS WHERE NEW GUNS ARE AVAILABLE HERE IN INDIA?
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS MINIMUM QUALIFYING SCORE WHICH WILL ALLOW US TO IMPORT ONE?

REGARDS.
Shanky good to see someone interested in getting some good this done. In the mean time, thre is no need to go all caps on your post- You already have our attention.

The 1917, unless its a refurbished Eddystone one, it should generally be ok.

when you first mentioned 30-06 army rifle, thats the model that came to my mind.

Good rifle - Damn tough and heavily built to withstand war time usage. I like it.

Please be aware that an army barrel isn't necessarily a better barrel than a sporter. It tends to be a little less precise, particularly if its a war time one. If the rifle hasn't been shot too much you could still get it up to a reasonable level of accuracy. I think you can, in view of the splendid strength of the action and the mass of metal.

You will have to make a conscious decision on retaining or lopping of the rear sight ears/housing, and consequentially the fore sight assembly. Only then can you mount precise match sights. I don't know of a 'drop-in' windage enabled peep-sight for the 1917, as it stands.

Obviously, you'll need a really nice stock made to 'fit' you.

While you are at it, you may also find it useful look up the ISSF rule book (Maybe NRAI too) to keep any modifications within allowable parameters, it'll save you some heartache.

regards,
cc
He who can not think, is a fool; he who will not, a bigot; he who dare not - a slave!

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:19 pm

MoA, with the IOF .30-06 being a "riplica" of the Sauer 200 series, a one-piece stock is pretty much out of the question. As to barrel quality, you're absolutely right. Don't know why one would think that a barrel produced under wartime conditions would be of better quality than a current sporting barrel? Cheers.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:05 pm

Goes with the 'army tough' mentality of yore, I guess?
Will be a good work horse, I have seen pics of a 500 Jefery built on an Eddystone action.Get yourself a good gunsmith who can do more than thuk malish a 12 bore to make a few bucks, and you can start with basic accuracy improving measure.
Check the bore- what is actual caliber in mm? one good thing for most service rifles would be to 'slug' the bore and see what is the actual caliber is,then chamber status-, get the bolt trued and ensure all lugs have equal lock ups, then the stockcheck for even pressures, or bed it - such small measures will make a good start
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Risala » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm

shanky_66 wrote:DECIDED TO BUY 1917 ENFILD ACTION REMIGTON 30.06. SPOKEN TO FEW FRIENDS TO GETTING IT CONVERTED TO SUITE MATCH.
SINCE THIS IS ARMY GUN. IT HAS BETTER BARREL THAN SPORTING RIFLE. AS IT IS WHERE NEW GUNS ARE AVAILABLE HERE IN INDIA?
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT IS MINIMUM QUALIFYING SCORE WHICH WILL ALLOW US TO IMPORT ONE?

REGARDS.

Shanky,according to a renowned shot in big bores with a few modifications to the IOF 06 one can easily make the cut ....a few have easily managed to get the qualifying score...

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:19 am

Asif, this rifle has five-groove rifling, so unless you have the correct gauge block, it is next to impossible for the amateur to measure bore and groove dimensions with just a micrometer. As a military barrel it ought to be within .002" of nominal. Also, almost no one, especially the younger generation, seems to be aware of the fact that groove diameter, due to rifling style, is a nominal .311", and not .308" as in the Springfield. Despite the deeper grooves, the 1917 Enfield barrel is actually slightly smaller in bore cross-sectional area than a Springfield barrel. Only if the rifle was re-barrelled during WWII will you find a four or six groove barrel. Cheers.

shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shanky_66 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:26 am

big bore mqsis 470 as per mach book i believe

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:38 am

470 out of 1200 max? That doesnt seem too difficult. Then again I have never done 300 meters ISSF..

470 out of 600 for standing only seems like more of a challenge. Have to get my self a decent rifle to begin practising. Are there wieght limitations on rifles, sights et al? Magazine or single shot only? Tube guns allowed?

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:57 pm

TwoRivers,
There's not much he can do by way of actually measuring the land/groove , but slugging should give an actual idea of how the bore has worn and prevailing diameters? Pity these guns dont have the brass disc system like the 6.5x55 Swede's have,giving the barrel status.If he is lucky, he should get a nominal bore run out and some decent scores with the factory ammo'
I wouldnt recommend a chamber polish etc,just a deeper than 'skin deep' treatment...if its 311,thats news to me! Why do you think we have ol timers like you out here :lol: help us out with the REAL info

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:35 am

Two Rivers,

Wasn't it the Eddystone that had a reputation for the barrels being over tightened and the receiver cracking if an attempt was made to remove the barrel without making relief cuts in the barrel.

I also vaguely remember some comments about the receiver being brittle or was it the Springfield?

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:49 am

Krags, single heat treated Springfields from both arsenals, and 1917 Enfields (especially the Eddystone ones) were brittle due to the method of heat treatment used. When Springfields were manufactured with a double heat treat process, this problem ended.

What's interesting to note here is how many other nations didn't have this trouble!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:43 pm

Winnie: Remington made M1917 Enfields are fairly soft, Winchesters tend to be harder, but not brittle; with Eddystones ranging all over the place, from quite soft to hard and brittle. I have heard of the receiver ring cracking when removing the barrel, as they tend to be very tight. But, that may also be caused by an improper receiver wrench being used. I have never had a problem when pulling the barrel off an Eddystone. But I soak all military rifles in solvent before taking the barrel off, and use a properly fitting wrench. I personally would not hesitate to use any of them with ammunition that does not exceed nominal .30-06 pressure. Plenty of all makes have been converted and barreled for magnum cartridges.
The so-called low number Springfields can be brittle, but are not necessarily so. But no way to tell, so the usual recommendation is to avoid them. The same applies to the old Krag, but here the bolt is more likely to shed its single locking lug. However, the bolt rib keeps the bolt in the receiver, and no harm comes to the shooter.
Cheers.

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Timmy and TwoRivers,

Thanks for the replies.

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:55 pm

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2557 ... EO_AND_KIT

Shanky66-see if you can get this and use it as part of your accurising project

shanky_66
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by shanky_66 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:44 am

Finally got my hands on 30.06, remington. 1917 american property. or what is known here as p 17. good condition. modified for field shooting by cutting stock. will put up pics tomorrow or so. fired few shots. it heats up very fast. i really do not know whether the barrel is tougher or stronger or better than sporting guns. time will tell. i am going to fire with my friends sporting gun soon to find out. called for sights. got my sling, gloves, and jacket ready for competition. now need to modify the gun and shoot. does anybody here knows who can do this job fairly well in mumbai? pl let me know. thanks eljefe for site reference. will try to get that dvd. but does bedding is so imp. i was told. but what does it exactly do??

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:10 am

Shanky,

Congratulations on your purchase and all the very best in pursuing your dream of competitive shooting.

Re bedding

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifle_bedding

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithin ... index.html

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."