My IOF 30-06...Test results @ 100!!

Posts related to rifles.
MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My IOF 30-06...Glass now onboard!!

Post by MoA » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:24 am

z375
Headspacing with 'a' headspace gauge is not really how its done. You need a go gauge and a no go gauge, and ideally a field gauge. However with a go gauge only, the bolt should close easily. With a small piece of stoch tape or carbonless paper it should not. This ofcourse is done with the ejector and extractor removed at the least, ideally without the pin in the bolt. But everyone seems to have thier preference, and it is their choice.

The bolts locking in is an indication of the bolt locking in. That is it.

Indexing the barrel to try and headspace is a very bad idea. Am not even going to go down that route.

I like what you are doing with it. Good luck.

For Advertising mail webmaster
winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:52 am

MoA wrote:z375
Headspacing with 'a' headspace gauge is not really how its done. You need a go gauge and a no go gauge, and ideally a field gauge. However with a go gauge only, the bolt should close easily. .........

Indexing the barrel to try and headspace is a very bad idea. Am not even going to go down that route.
Could not agree with you more.Bolt should close on a go-gauge,should not on a no go gauge and is ok if it does on a field gauge as long as it does not do so on a no go gauge.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:33 am

MoA wrote:z375
Headspacing with 'a' headspace gauge is not really how its done. You need a go gauge and a no go gauge, and ideally a field gauge. However with a go gauge only, the bolt should close easily. With a small piece of stoch tape or carbonless paper it should not. This ofcourse is done with the ejector and extractor removed at the least, ideally without the pin in the bolt. But everyone seems to have thier preference, and it is their choice.

I like what you are doing with it. Good luck.
Forgive me Moa, for not caring to mention about the proper way to headspace a rifle's action, I am fully aware that a set of go & no-go gauges are required for the purpose but I'd never had to use mine on this rifle. Since the day I've had it, it shoots great and feeds and extracts without a hiccup, I've scoped it only to fully realise its potential else I love using iron sights. Also, if you're familiar with the Sauer 202's, one of the most precise and variable module rifle systems on the planet, also one of the most expensive production rifles ever built, with over twenty caliber options, two receiver material options, three trigger systems and a host of other goodies to choose from, its heartening to know that we here across the pond have finally got ourselves a decent rifle capable of delivering reasonable "out of the box" accuracy and reliability, and over all and is also something that looks great and is not based along the lines of some phased-out military action, you get my drift? This action is not a Remington, Winchester or a Mauser, where the bolt lugs lock up into the receiver, you'd be threading the barrel back on if you took it off and would be completely lost without a barrel vise and (dare I mention it again!) go/no-go gauges, the concept allows interchangeability above all, in the field at that. Tolerances are next to nil and nowhere in the world have owners of Sauer rifles complained about headspace/reliability issues when they've changed barrels, so Sauer & Sohn must've obviously got it right, luckily so have IOF. :mrgreen:

So, consider yourself very lucky when you're able to wake up in the morning and decide to slap on that new match-grade Krieger onto your 6mm PPC knowing that your friendly-neighbourhood smith is only 3 miles away. Here, its not about getting what you like, its about liking what you get, and I think folks here are doing pretty well given the circumstances.
Last edited by z375 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:30 am

Just so long as you're safe, I am happy. I am not intimately familliar with the Sauer, since they are essentially hunting rifles.

There is a lot that I read on here, which worries me, and sometimes downright frightens me. My post was to head off any attempts at trying to 'adjust' the headspace. Since on your Sauer modelled rifle you would in all probability require a lathe as well.

BTW my friendly gunsmith is not 3 miles away, and in any case I do most of my own work. Including swapping barrels, and calibers. :cheers:

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Was out at the farm yesterday and gave the IOF some fresh air and exercise after slapping the scope on, the first five shot string (circled in RED) was fired to check consistency, then a small shift in windage to the left and below, resulting in the three shot string (circled in GREEN), the black square is 2" x 2". I think this is a decent group considering the ammo being used, 180-grain Sellier & Bellot SP's, the scope was cranked up at 4.5x and no wind present at a lasered 103 yards. While I feel that she can do much better with the 180-gr Federal PowerShoks, but this remains to be seen as I didn't take them along with me yesterday.

There is still a bit of tweaking that's going to be done to this rig, but for now its satisfactory.

"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My IOF 30-06...Test results @ 100!!

Post by The Doc » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

Looks good .

Have you changed the recoil pad ? I hear from Olly that the original recoil pad is useless .

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

jaz
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by jaz » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

doc,
He should use ventilaed recoil pad, I have used one from Gunaccessory.com Amritsar it costed me 400bucks
but its very good for heavy caliber Rifles.

nagarifle
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by nagarifle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:32 pm

nice one. any muzzle flips?
Nagarifle

if you say it can not be done, then you are right, for you, it can not be done.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:40 pm

Congratulations. It is a very good group no doubt about it.

What shooting position did you use? How much time between shots?

What is the fouling like in the barrel?

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:52 pm

The Doc wrote:Looks good .

Have you changed the recoil pad ? I hear from Olly that the original recoil pad is useless .

Rp.
Not yet Doc, but I'll get down to that soon, the gun doesn't bite much, or maybe its just because I'm thick-skinned! :mrgreen:

-- Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:00 pm --
nagarifle wrote:nice one. any muzzle flips?
It does flip a bit if you don't hold it firm, the rifle is light to begin with so this is acceptable

-- Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:17 pm --
MoA wrote:Congratulations. It is a very good group no doubt about it.
????? C'mon MoA!!

THIS is what I call good...I hope it is by your standards too!! :wink: 04 RWS 300-gr & a 6x Zeiss Diatal @ 75 yds :mrgreen: At 11 'clock are 02 old 235-gr Kynochs with open sights and the one dead centre was shot by a "first-timer" friend who's never handled a firearm in his life! Needless to say he was thrilled to bits! :lol:

What shooting position did you use? How much time between shots?
Rested off the hood of a small car, its a very solid position and the best I could ask for, works well for me because I get to stand upright and lean a bit into the gun. Time between shots was about 1-3 minutes.

What is the fouling like in the barrel?
The S&B's burn pretty clean, two passes with the BoreSnake followed by some BC Bore Scrubber sprayed and left to sit for ten mins, a few patches thorough and it was squeaky clean, with just a trace of copper fouling on the first patch, thanks to the barrel being broken-in properly (painstaking, but I wanted to do it right)

dev
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by dev » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:18 pm

Wow what a pretty rifle and a great one to shoot. Wish they came from the factory the same way. I am so happy that we finally have the chance to buy a decent rifle, I wish with all the modifications that you have done to it.

Regards,

Dev
To ride, to speak up, to shoot straight.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:06 pm

The group is excellent, for what essentially is a hunting rifle with less than ideal ammo. S&B ammo is decent but is certainly no black hills.

Anything an inch or thereabouts @100 is decent. Your group is about 1.0x center to center which is about minute of angle.

Not every rifle will produce groups that are bug holes, and your group whether you agree or not is better than what most shooters will produce with the same equipment.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:04 pm

MoA wrote:The group is excellent, for what essentially is a hunting rifle with less than ideal ammo. S&B ammo is decent but is certainly no black hills.

Anything an inch or thereabouts @100 is decent. Your group is about 1.0x center to center which is about minute of angle.

Not every rifle will produce groups that are bug holes, and your group whether you agree or not is better than what most shooters will produce with the same equipment.
MoA,
My apologies for the goof-up with the group size, its 1.719 edge-to-edge, which makes it 1.411 centre-to-centre, was in a bit of a hurry while marking it out! :mrgreen: Also instead of segregating the first 5-shot group in RED and the next 03 in GREEN I'd collectively measured all 08 shots on the whole, making for a larger group. Yeah, this is decent and I'd love to take the S&B's apart and weigh them out and make a uniform batch, that's a little slower than the average 2793 fps I'm getting right now, but I'm too lazy to go about tampering with something that seems to be working, if it was a .315, I'd be back to the drawing board right away!:mrgreen:

As for my bug-hole shooter, that'll be my old .375 H&H and I love that rifle. 8)

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:18 pm

I wouldnt beat myself up over the group, or velocity. Each barrel is different and people tend to get different velocities out of identical factory ammo.

As for shooting bugholes... this is five shots edge to edge .350 inches (.107 inches center to center) with my Savage 10 barreled in 6mm br. I have yet to learn to do it consistently though.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:54 pm

Zubin,
When you have finished with the mutual back slapping, do post the c-t-c distances of both the groups. Preferably before the next blue moon.
Thanks.
Mack The Knife