W.J. JEFFERY 30.06

Posts related to rifles.
The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Re: W.J. JEFFERY 30.06

Post by The Doc » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:41 pm

Anuvind,

Looking at the pictures, I feel that the rifle has already been reblued and the stock varnished in past once or more. Be careful about the additional "maintenance job" .

Congratulations and Enjoy your W.J. Jeffery .

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:53 pm

Anuvind,
Congrets on the buy. From the length of the barrel this one seems certainly from the armory of Bhopal state. Late Nawab of Bhopal always preferred long barreled rifles. In fact most of the rifles he owned were made for him in 28" barrel length. I have also seen a 270 Win. made by Rigby with 28" barrel in the family of his Royal relatives. Doc is right, the gun seems to have been reblued and the original patented front sight protector is missing as well. I only hope the rifle has not been filed mercilessly before bluing. One way to find out is to run your finger nail backwards over the writing on the barrel and see if it's deep enough. Most British weapons had pretty deep engraved literature except in case of H&H rifles and shotguns.
Congrets once again. :wink:
Marksman .

anuvind
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by anuvind » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:47 pm

guys. just help me with this....what does "NITRO PROVN" mean. my gun has this engraved on the barrell..

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:09 pm

anuvind wrote:guys. just help me with this....what does "NITRO PROVN" mean. my gun has this engraved on the barrell..

It simply means that the rifle is proved with Nitro powder.Simply put, the rifle can shoot nitro-propellent based cartridges safely. Black-powder only guns cannot shoot them safely. It's mandatory in UK and many countries in Europe to proof test every barrel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_test

http://www.gunproof.com/

Post some pictures soon.Thanks

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:23 pm

In past, the transition between Black and Smokeless power cartridge firearms created a problem for consumers. Nitro Cellulose sometimes called Gun Cotton was a early type of smokeless power.

Nitro proofing means that it has been proof tested by firing with an overload to be sure it is safe with smokeless powder; actually it was then safe with smokeless powder available at that time . However it does not mean it is still safe unless the firearm in question is of a reputed brand ensuring good quality and of course in good condition.

Guns "proofed" or "proven" in the late 1800's and early 1900's may not, after 100 years, STILL be able to stand modern higher pressure loads, so to be on the safer side low pressure rounds should be used .

best,

Rp.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:22 pm

If anything, Nitro, i.e. smokeless, powders have become more progressive burning. Anything Nitro=proofed 100 years ago is still safe to shoot, safer in fact, with modern ammunition. Providing it's in good shape otherwise. But there is really nothing that goes wrong over time with an 98 Mauser action, it's as strong today as it was 100 years ago. If the receiver ring were drilled full of holes, or had a dove tailed-in scopemount, then I'd advise caution. Cheers.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:03 am

Congrats on the find and great gun post more pictures.. whats with that picture in picture ( phone camera) for a pistol?

Cheers