Good news for Asif

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:50 pm

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Good news for Asif

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Somehow I imagined that the .450/400 would make more oomph - It`s only a couple of hundred ft lbs more than a 9.3x74R.
I don`t doubt that the ammo is good - Hornady have a well deserved reputation.
Have you got a lot of Hippos around Delhi Asif ?

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:42 pm

Have you got a lot of Hippos around Delhi Asif ?
Apart from the zoo, there is the Parliament House....

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:18 pm

Oh, plenty of potential targets then ! I`m not sure that a .450/400 is ideal for use as a sniper rifle though...............

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:23 pm

Thanks Guys, Thats great news.How am I going to get fresh stock? Hope for the friendly neighbourhood scalper to get some down and I'll have to shell out 10x the US rates I guess.

Grumpy, in the buff, you would mistake me for a hippo!
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:38 pm

Grumpy,
Whats your advice on using a laser device for sighting in a double rifle? The front and rear sight have been retrofitted on my rifle-never been zeroed after the sight job ( was done by my brother).The front sight is an express looking blade and rear is a single post shallow V.
I guess It'll need a decent 50Y range, plenty of files and ammo and a small hammer and the usual accoutrements...
Would the bore sighter be ok? I've never used one ever, and was browsing through Cabelas-there seemed to be several affordable ones there...
Would appreciate any info.
Best
Axx
PS:Talking of Hippos, theres a circus in town and I wanted to take my daughter to see the animals-went there and learn that this circus has NO ANIMALS!
-looks like we're seeing the another industry go extinct.bad game management....Wot the 'ell, did PETA get to them already?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:34 am

Asif, I`ve never thought of using a laser bore sighter with a double rifle but can think of a couple of problems straight away: Firstly they are expensive and secondly they`ll only work at the range at which your barrels have been regulated - which will either be 50 yds or 75 yds.
Bore sighters are effective and much less expensive than the laser types.......but you`ll still have the problem of regulated barrels and sights that are not above the bore.
I sighted-in my double last Sunday. Didn`t use any sort of bore sighter and used a box of ammo doing it but it has the advantage of being an O/U and of having the barrels regulated for 100 metres.
I actually sighted in three rifles.....and then spent the rest of the afternoon blasting away with my .17HMR......People say that .17HMR ammo is expensive ( even though it`s only half the price now than it used to be ) but it`s a lot less expensive than 9.3x74R ammo !!!
If, as Mack The Knife says, reloading is allowed for personal use I think that it would be sensible to invest in a press and dies and to load your own .450/400 ammo. If you get a bullet mould to cast your own bullets you can load up `soft` loads ( lower velocity ) economically. Those loads won`t correspond to whatever the loads that your barrels have been regulated for however so you`ll have to experiment somewhat.
I hope that that this helps a little even though it doesn`t solve your problem directly.
Last edited by Grumpy on Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:41 am

One of the advantages of Hornady entering this game is that cases and bullets would be available as components and reloading would make the ammunition much cheaper than buying it from a store. Already, the Hornady entry into this market has started giving the premium manufacturers of 450-400 ammunition like Kynamco some nightmares. Hornady make good ammunition and theirs is priced very reasonably.

In any case, Asif, can't you buy the ammunition when you visit the US next?

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:15 am

Oh heck, I`m going to have nightmares now - Asif has a butt like a hippo !
I really didn`t need to know that !

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:58 am

In any case, Asif, can't you buy the ammunition when you visit the US next?
He can, provided he gets the rifle transfered to his licence.
Oh heck, I`m going to have nightmares now...
Only if you manage to sleep... :wink:
Last edited by Mack The Knife on Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:15 am

Har di har Dodger - very good ! If I had problems before I certainly will have now ....... and I can hardly keep my eyes open. :shock:
I had a look at the Hornady website earlier checking out their .223 Rem ammunition and saw that they have announced the production of 9.3x74R ammo as well. Could be good news......if it`s ever imported into the UK.......when it will probably cost a fortune.