.375 H&H & 7x57 groups

Posts related to rifles.
z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

.375 H&H & 7x57 groups

Post by z375 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Here are the results after a full-length glass-bed on the .375 into a new stock chiseled out to my dimensions, made by the famous Kolhapur mistry, American Black Walnut was choice of furniture. Printed at 11 o'clock are three RWS 300-grain factory loads shot with iron sights at a lasered 65 yards and below at 6 o'clock are four RWS 300's with the scope clamped on, its an old Zeiss 6x42 on claw-mounts, since the German 3-post cross-hair covers up much of the black "+" at that range, the hold used is 6 and I've set her to POA, the one flyer in the centre was courtesy of a friend who's never fired a gun, needless to say he was thrilled to bits at having poked the "+" dead-centre on the first try!

The next pic taken on a camera phone (please excuse my photography) was out of a set-trigger 7x57 Brno Mod 21-h belonging to a friend that was oil-finished and glassed-in (full-length) the three fliers are the result of a three round rapid-fire session with open sights using old Kynoch 174-grain softs that were used to warm up the barrel! ;) the other three are fresh 139-grain RWS factory loads shot again at 65 yards with a new Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 set at 5x, I love the RWS stuff!

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

For Advertising mail webmaster
marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: .375 H&H & 7x57 groups

Post by marksman » Sun May 03, 2009 3:15 pm

z375,
I have managed to achieve a three shot clover leaf group not unlike your 7 mm group with my 270 Win. rifle at 100 Yds. with an open sight and a solid rest on a car bonnet. (my rifle didn't have scope then) and my eye sight was perfect 6/6. I still have that target tucked away some where with the date written on it. I always insisted that RWS ammo is the bestest when it comes to accuracy+power. I shall send the pic as soon as I find it and rest the rifle next to it as well. Use RWS ammo sparingly for it is hard to come by these days.
Happy Shooting
Marksman
Exercise in Logic:
Given that there are far more good guys than bad guys, what would happen if all good guys and all bad guys were armed???......Simple, isn't it ?---Jeff Cooper

"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't
be any India because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
women and breed a hardier race!"

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Sat May 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Marksman,

I prefer using a small car when I'm sighting-in the rifles, Fiat's and Maruti 800's work well as the hood is just about high enough for me to rest both elbows and lean into the rifle a bit, this is a big boon when you're shooting for groups. The alternative is the Jeep's bonnet which is flat but low, so that calls for me to throw my upper body weight onto it and in turn every heartbeat gets amplified and makes the sights/scope do a little dance as things are begining to settle down. :roll:

Looking forward to you posting pics of your groups, and everyone else here who wishes to do so!

Cheers!

Zubin
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

hamiclar01
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by hamiclar01 » Sat May 09, 2009 2:05 pm

Zubin,

thanks for sharing.

do post pics of the rifle with it's new stock please. quite keen to see the wood
"Stan, don't you know the first law of physics? Anything that's fun costs at least eight dollars."

R-Dhillon
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by R-Dhillon » Sat May 09, 2009 6:18 pm

where did you get it glass bedded? Quite interesting....
Regards,
R.Dhillon.

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:00 pm

hamiclar01 wrote:Zubin,

thanks for sharing.

do post pics of the rifle with it's new stock please. quite keen to see the wood
Hamiclar,

I'll do that very soon :)

-- Fri May 22, 2009 12:02 pm --
R-Dhillon wrote:where did you get it glass bedded? Quite interesting....
Regards,
R.Dhillon.
In the comfort of my own home :) I've never given my guns to a shop or gunsmith for any sort of work