Mauser 66s Action

Posts related to rifles.
HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Mauser 66s Action

Post by HydNawab » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 am

Guys,

Could someone please give their reviews and thoughts on the Mauser 66s action. Which action is more preferable? The Mauser 98 or the Mauser 66s?

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mauser 66s Action

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:44 am

Ashar,

It depends on what you are looking for in a gun. I would say the 66 is most likely a much better investment, all else being equal. The Mauser 66 uses a telescoping bolt and a big feature is it has the capability of easily (though not cheaply!) changing barrels.

If you are looking for a working rifle that can take hard usage for years on end without complaining, then the Mauser 98 is pretty hard to beat by most any manufacturer on the planet.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:05 pm

Mark,

I am asking because I came across a Mauser 66 in pretty bad condition in Hyderabad. It belongs to a lawyer friend and is in 375 Mag with a 30-06 intercangeable barrel. The stock has many dents and scratches on it but the rifling is pretty good in both the barrels.Looks as if its been stock away for ages and not being cleaned in about 30 years.The bluing on both the barrels is almost off. It is endorsed as a 375 Mag with a spare barrel on the license.This was bought in the US in 1978 by his father.The asking price is 5L and I am told his father paid close to $2000 for this gun at the time and also had to pay some duty on it.

Another option for me would be a WInchester Model 70 357 Mag in 24" in good condition.Price 3.25L. This I saw with Bansons in Mumbai day before yesterday.Its got a swarovski scope on it but the price of the scope is separate which I didnt bother to enquire.

Cheers

Ashar
'It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze'.

'You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.'

-- Al Capone

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:51 pm

Ashar,

I read somewherer that the Mauser 66S came in .375 H&H and .458 Win. you could swap barrels with the help of two allen bolts situated in the forearm, there was one in .458 Win. superb condition lying with Aimpoint, Pune for the last 20 odd years, it was one of a whole bunch of rifles that were bought from some royalty, there was a beautifully engraved Westley Richards .425, a .378 Weatherby Mag. in an old Mark V with the mother of pearl inlay on the stock, another Purdey 7x57 with a Zeiss scope on claw mounts.

Some consider the 66 as one of the smoothest actions you can get your hands on (the Mannlichers take 1st place in my book! 8) ) the .458 I handled was very slick and would be a breeze to do some rapid-fire bolt work with, it looks somewhat like a cross between an M98 and a Mannlicher owing to the fact that the rear bridge on the 66's are split and the one I saw had a cross-bolt type safety.

If the stock is sound and the action is in good shape, no rust on boltface, no excessive slop, etc. also swap both barrels and check for any signs of play, owing to the condition you describe them to be in. Bluing is not a problem, you can do it yourself or have it done from someone you trust well enough, should be a good buy in the end. Look at it this way too, you'll never need another .30-06...or a .375 H&H for that matter!! 8)

good luck!

Zubin
"With solid bullets on heavy animals such as elephant, rhino and buffalo this power is quite apparent but is not so obvious as when soft-nose bullets are being used, say, lion, particularly when is a case of stopping a charge : the .404 will stop him all right, but will seldom crumple him quite so completely as will the .416" -- John Taylor, Big Game and Big Game Rifles, (Ch. IX)

Mark
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Mark » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Ashar,

I that situation I would seriously consider getting the mauser over the M70. You will essentially be getting 2 different rifles and the gun can be prettied up, and the gun is going to appreciate a lot more than a regular winchester will over time.

And your friend is correct, it was an expensive rifle when new.
"What if he had no knife? In that case he would not be a good bushman so there is no need to consider the possibility." H.A. Lindsay, 1947

HydNawab
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by HydNawab » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:55 pm

There was a mistake in my post. The spare barrel is not 30-06 but a 30 super(300 H&H).

Ashar

-- Al Capone

z375
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by z375 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:49 pm

There was a mistake in my post. The spare barrel is not 30-06 but a 30 super(300 H&H).

The .300 H&H is a excellent cartridge, provided the ammo is readily available, had doubts on the spare '06 barrel as a .375 H&H size boltface will never extract a .30-06 case

Zubin

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun May 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Mauser 66 is one of the finest rifles made after the '98. It is a smooth feeder but does not boast of controlled feeding system of a '98. Has a blind magazine with a shorter cartridge capacity (3+1). It was basically designed for a sports hunters. The three caliber groups that it was divided in didn't make much sense except in a Magnum group like a 7mm Rem Magnum or 300 win/H&H Magnum and a 375 H&H Magnum or a 458 Win. Magnum. The other being a 308 Win, 270 Win and 30-06 with some metric calibers thrown in with some what similar ballistics. The third being 243 Win and some European 6mm calibers. They also made sniper rifles l based on Mod 66 action. What more proof needed for it's accuracy.I think you should go for this one if the metal portion of the rifle is undamaged. The advantage being you get two calibers on a single endorsement. There was one brand new 66 here in Mumbai a decade ago. I didn't go for it because it was with a 375 H&H and 458 Win barrels.
Marksman
check your PM

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:56 am

Nothing to beat the Mauser 98 action, the 66 action is not so reliable and if ur planning a trip to Africa stick with the Mauser 98( or those based on it ) with CRF.
Happy shooting

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 am

CRF is over rated and within certain conditions will fail to extract. Though generally with loads pushing the limits, which is unlikely with factory ammo.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:59 am

Again, under what application? Whether CRF or not, is really totally irrelevant to the target shooter. His rifle is neither canted, nor the muzzle elevated, when the round is fed into the chamber. Under severe service conditions, or hunting game that can bite back, it's a different scenario. If a Mauser/Springfield/M70 comes in with a "failure to extract", it's with a case solidly stuck in the chamber, and extractor engaged. And I have seen one where then jumping on the bolt handle broke the extractor. Pretty much every other system will come off the case, leaving it in the chamber. Or break the extractor (Mosin & Lebel type extractor) leaving the stuck case behind.

MoA
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MoA » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:53 pm

Target shooting. See it fairly often, given that the K-98, Vz-24's are fairly common and popular around here.

Most often with rifles that are not pampered, and/or shooting WWII/WWI surplus or poorly loaded ammo.
Since a lot of us do shoot them offhand, we do tend to cant the rifle and elevate the muzzle while cycling the bolt. Havent seen to many Mosin's around, but the K-31's are popular.