4 Bore and 600 OK in action

Posts related to rifles.
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

4 Bore and 600 OK in action

Post by Vikram » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:44 am

Been reading about the 4 bore for the past few days. Found these on AR (Accuratereloading).

Warning- blood and gore ahead!

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /593109955

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... /943109955

I reserve my comments for future.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:31 am

Thanks Vikram.

The 4 Bore entry wound is most impressive.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Re: 4 Bore and 600 OK in action

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:36 am

So what next.. they will be taking rocket launchers for hunting... :evil: :evil:
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:01 am

So what next.. they will be taking rocket launchers for hunting...
So what's your problem? Or is it that you read Mehul and Grumpy diss the large bores and decided to jump on the wagon?

It must take skill to shoot such rifles well and as far as I am concerned, more power to Safarikid's elbow.......and shoulder.

Mack The Knife

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:35 am

Vikram,

FYI this Ken Owen 4 Bore was regulated for a load of 2000 grains at 1400 fps. Not quite the monster 40,000 ft lbs monster that Ed Hubel and others have designed, but big and impressive, at short ranges. It is more of a Nitro for BP round than a 4 Bore Nitro Express. That said, it does sound like a sensible idea in comparison to the hot rodded versions that others are planning. Owen is offering these guns at $ 75000 each and Searcy at $ 84000. Hambrusch and others on the continent have aoso started making them though I have no idea about the price.

Mack The Knife,

I would personally think that getting the job done with minimum gun and fuss was a greater test of the shooter's skill. :wink: While this gentleman was in Africa downing a buffalo with this monster, someone else downed one with a Remington single shot bolt handgun in 7mm BR. To me, that is a better display of hunting skill. 8)

Cheers,

Mehul

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:38 am

I don't have any problem Mack The Knife, I just don't like the idea of hunting with Big Bores and my views are not based on how somebody else thinks about something. I would love to shoot any big bore even after watching videos of those flying Arabs..

I just think it excessive power.

Inder
PS: And for the record. I never saw Mehul's post.. He is just fast at typing than me :D
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:31 am

I would personally think that getting the job done with minimum gun and fuss was a greater test of the shooter's skill.
Mehul, are you suggesting that shot placement is not important with a 4 Bore? Ofcourse not!

It takes skill to shoot any firearm, even an air-rifle. However, a firearm such as a 4 bore requires the additional skill of managing the recoil correctly and coming back to battery for a quick second shot if need be.

While this gentleman was in Africa downing a buffalo with this monster, someone else downed one with a Remington single shot bolt handgun in 7mm BR. To me, that is a better display of hunting skill.
Considering that hunting in Africa is a guided affair, the real kudos for such skills should go to the PHs and trackers and least of all to the client - in most cases.

Shooting skills is more relevant here and I think both examples have done their job well.

Mack The Knife

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:43 am

I don't have any problem Mack The Knife, I just don't like the idea of hunting with Big Bores.
Why? What experience do you have of big bores or come to think of it, even a .22lr?
and my views are not based on how somebody else thinks about something.
So what is it based on? Your imagination?
I just think it excessive power.
So what? It was still used in a sporting manner. If Safarikid enjoyed using something that is a novelty in todays world why did it get you hot under the collar?

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:24 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="5602 wrote:[Why? What experience do you have of big bores or come to think of it, even a .22lr?.
So what If i don't have any experience of big bores or .22LR nor I am Imaginings something but I can see and don't you think I have right to express what I don't like. I am not taking anything away from Safarikid he may be a very skillful hunter or if he or anybody want to hunt with bigbores then who in the hell am I to say anything but if I get lucky ever or given a chance I will never hunt with that much power.

Its just a personal kind of thing and i was just expressing that

Inder
Last edited by kanwar76 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:41 pm

Mack The Knife,

Missing Goa already :wink: or is it the chance to shoot the 505Gibbs going up in smoke :lol:

Kanwar

So what would you use to hunt 'DG'(Check the labour related guidelines of the Indian govt. DG means 'diesel generator' according to them)

penpusher

PS-Still searching for a 416 Rigby.Found a couple of .577 though.One a Martini and another a combination .577 rifle and 12bore shotgun.Bpth in very poor condition.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:30 pm

So what If i don't have any experience of big bores or .22LR nor I am Imaginings something but I can see.
So you admit to making a disparaging comment based on inexperience, a lack of imagination and a photo showing the size of the entry wound? Smart! :mrgreen:

I am not taking anything away from Safarikid he may be a very skillful hunter or if he or anybody want to hunt with bigbores then who in the hell am I to say anything.
See you first post on this thread.

but if I get lucky ever or given a chance I will never hunt with that much power.
Famous last words....

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:36 pm

Mack The Knife,
Missing Goa already or is it the chance to shoot the 505Gibbs going up in smoke?
Neither. It's just my normal dog in the manger mood :mrgreen: and the thought of not being able to go fishing until the weekend of 11th-12th. Goddamn parent-teacher meeting on the 4th.

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:50 pm

penpusher";p="5605 wrote:
Kanwar

So what would you use to hunt 'DG'(Check the labour related guidelines of the Indian govt. DG means 'diesel generator' according to them)

penpusher
Thank you 22jee,

Learned something knew, but perhaps you don't know Hunting Indian DG is also difficult and i proudly say that I’ve been on two great hunts. First one was alone on foot and other with one of my friend who is a professional Indian DG hunter. First hunt was on foot and after stalking it for a long time I at last made the kill at a Halwai shop. The second time it was on my 2*1 bike and we made the kill at a local tent shop. The season starts in summers and wedding seasons. I still have the trophy from first hunt with me what happened that Hunt organizer decided to raise the hunting fee after we made the kill so we kept the kill with us and told him to F@#K off.

I know that’s not a great hunting story but you asked for it :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Inder

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:57 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="5608 wrote:
So you admit to making a disparaging comment based on inexperience, a lack of imagination and a photo showing the size of the entry wound? Smart! :mrgreen:
And your not so disparaging comments are based on :roll:
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5608 wrote: See you first post on this thread.
Okay I admit that choice of words wasn't that good but I never said one doesn't need skill to shoot a 4 bore and i am sure that one needs skills to shoot rocket launchers also so why not try that on a Buff, I am sure that will also make a big entry wound :mrgreen:

Inder

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:57 pm

Mack The Knife,

Speaking of shot placement, it is certainly going to be vastly more important in shooting a Cape Buffalo with a 7mm BR bolt action single shot handgun than with a 4 Bore double rifle. Also, speaking of big bores, this particular 4 Bore was NOT the full powered gun that cartridge hot rodders have been working on, but a kind of Nitro for BP gun. Yes, it worked well, but it developed the same energy as a 700. Not a bad thing at all in my opinion, just not the extreme monster that you suggest it is.

The fact is that the British experimented with extreme rounds in their own way - the 500 Jeffery, 505 Gibbs and 600 Nitro Express were all monsters for their time but they quickly settled on the 404 Jeffery as a "standard" boltgun round for Africa and the 470 NE as the most popular double rifle round. I doubt that any of today's shooters has or ever will have the kind of experience that the old timers acquired. And they used their experience to zero in on rounds that worked, kicked minimally and kept them alive in the days when there were no trained PHs to back them.

Hope you get to fish and work your frustrations off landing a catfish and frying it in the open with some beers to go round. :lol:

Cheers!

Mehul