4 Bore and 600 OK in action

Posts related to rifles.
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: 4 Bore and 600 OK in action

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:54 am

And your not so disparaging comments are based on?
On common sense, a better understanding of what hunting is about and having little patience with ill thought out comments.

Mack The Knife

For Advertising mail webmaster
Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:30 am

Speaking of shot placement, it is certainly going to be vastly more important in shooting a Cape Buffalo with a 7mm BR bolt action single shot handgun than with a 4 Bore double rifle.

Will a side-on gut shot or a broken jaw from a 4 bore have the same effect as a head or heart shot from a 7mm BR? I don't think so and I am sure you did not mean that vast a difference either. To some extent the 4 bore gives the shooter a little more margin of error but he could be in big trouble if his shooting was sloppy.
Also, speaking of big bores, this particular 4 Bore was NOT the full powered gun that cartridge hot rodders have been working on, but a kind of Nitro for BP gun. Yes, it worked well, but it developed the same energy as a 700. Not a bad thing at all in my opinion, just not the extreme monster that you suggest it is.
I know what you mean. Infact the first thing I did on reading the post was to calculate the M.E - 8,706 ft.lbs.. Nowhere near the 40,000 ft.lbs. mentioned by you but not exactly a pip-squeak either. I wasn't suggesting it was the full monty version but the misunderstanding is understandable.

they used their experience to zero in on rounds that worked, kicked minimally and kept them alive in the days when there were no trained PHs to back them.
And rightly so but it does get on my tits when a Johnny-come-lately pontificates on something he knows bug*3r-all about.

Hope you get to fish and work your frustrations off landing a catfish and frying it in the open with some beers to go round.
Don't bet on it. I have the unique knack of getting curmudgeonly even at the best of times. :wink:

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:02 am

Mack The Knife Bana";p="5629 wrote: On common sense, a better understanding of what hunting is about and having little patience with ill thought out comments.
Can't argue with that.....well for now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mack The Knife Bana";p="5630 wrote: And rightly so but it does get on my tits when a Johnny-come-lately pontificates on something he knows bug*3r-all about.
Mack The Knife
Everyone is been Johnny-come-lately in one or other point in his or her life. I am still learning and don't have any shame to admit that but no body can take away the right to express what I feel about something.

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:34 am

Everyone is been Johnny-come-lately in one or other point in his or her life. I am still learning and don't have any shame to admit that but no body can take away the right to express what I feel about something.
It would be better if said JCL were to inform himself better before passing censure in future.

Class dismissed!

Mack The Knife

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:23 pm

Mack The Knife Bana";p="5637 wrote:
Class dismissed!

Mack The Knife

Aai Aai Sir
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:30 pm

Mack The Knife,

I agree that bigger bores have a margin of added safety especially in hunting dangerous game. But, as I said, a small bore shooter can surgically down an animal from impeccable shot placement and a perfect working knowledge of the animal's anatomy. In the end, that is why I think the small bore shooter is a better hunter - he is better prepared and can do the job with a minimum of fuss.

In any case, I guess it would be fun to shoot this kind of gun once. :lol: I am not sure that even if I win the lotto, I would get myself one of these - the gentleman in the link had to have a gun bearer carry his rifle because it was too heavy for him to carry. I would like to carry my rifle myself when I go on a hunt. But then, we are all different and have different needs and desires. To each their own - some might work hard to try to break the three minute mile. I am content taking a walk in the park with a beautiful woman, and then going to a nice restaurant to have a good dinner with nice wine. 8)

Cheers!

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 pm

Carry a firearm for a long enough period ( a couple of weeks )and it no longer feels that heavy and you will handle it better too.

penpusher

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:04 pm

penpusher,

That is true of rifles weighing upto 6 or 7 Kg. Carrying a rifle weighing almost 12.5 Kg like this one in the sun on a day long stalk is not quite as easy as you think. Even in the old days, gentlemen hunters employed gunbearers for precisely this reason - it is not easy to shoot well with a heavy rifle in a pinch, especially when one weighs 8 Kg or more and you have been walking with it in your hands for almost a whole day.

Cheers,

Mehul

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 pm

Mehul,

I am very sure the inability to shoot straight after a day of carrying such a heavy weapon would be because by that time the hands would be touching the knees and this would change the length of pull.Certainly not something that would be recommended for somebody like me,who already has long arms(while buying full sleeved shirts,I have to buy a bigger size so that my arms would fit).

penpusher

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 pm

Most of us city bred desk jockeys would be bushed with a 12 lb 470NE...I did 2 weeks of major walks upto 5km every nite before I went out fishing with Mack The Knife, not knowing what to expect ;)
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."