In line ignition Muzzle loaders

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:56 pm

Mehul, going by the northbound prices and my south bound budgets when it comes to guns, I guess all I can afford is a ML ;)
Actually, quite fascinating-dont know why I am getting all these unknown urges when I hit 40...fishing, Muzzle loading-some sort of a male menopause I guess.
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: In line ignition Muzzle loaders

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:34 am

If you can source good quality black powder and 209 shotgun primers or M/L caps muzzle loading is a sensible alternative to using cartridges. You wouldn`t have to pay extortionate ammunition prices and could cast your own bullets. All you have to do is get a rifle, and blackpowder, and caps, and a bullet mould..............

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:57 am

What I've seen of the primers here for ML use is crude , hand made / hand finished looks.
Sorry Grumpy, reloading is not allowed in India too, no way io can get shotgun primers...Wonder what the BP sold in the low end gunshops (which cater to the ML / country bumpkin trade )is equal to Fg or FFg or what? rather coarse

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:30 am

Grumpy,

The British importers for Remington products probably do not import the Genesis because it is actually made for Remington by Ardesa. Because the design is patented, perhaps, Remington do not allow Ardesa to sell the guns directly in other markets.

It is a pity that the Savage centrefires and rimfires aren;t selling well because they are superlatively accurate. And, at their very reasonable price, I doubt you could get any European competition except perhaps from Zastava though the Savages would blow the Zastavas on accuracy.

Asif,

I am intrigued by penpusher's incomplete post about importing shotgun barrels and muzzleloaders. If you are allowed to import a muzzleloader, the Savage 110 inline develops as much power as a 30-06 centrefire rifle. It would be a superb rifle to have and would cost hardly more than a basic centrefire rifle in the US, ie $ 400 or less retail. The Savage 110s can fire any jacketed bullet as used in centrefire rifles and you would have a superb modern muzzleloader capable of very good performance. Let's wait for penpusher to get the details.

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:33 am

The Genesis isn`t imported because there is no black powder hunting in the UK.
The Savage wouldn`t be of much use to Asif because as reloading is not permitted in India he wouldn`t be able to get hold of smokeless powders or 209 primers. The same applies to the Genesis and Thompson Centre Encore because they too require 209 primers. The T/C Black Diamond inline allows the use of 209 primers, No 11 caps and musket caps however as does the Knight Bighorn - and, no doubt, some others.
Asif, FFG is usually recommended for use in modern black powder rifles.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:10 am

Grumpy,

Paradoxically, though reloading is not allowed in India, the import of ammunition is allowed, 50 rounds per foreign trip. If muzzleloaders can be imported, then there should be a legal way of getting primers in as "ammunition."

There have been some British hunters on the Airgun BBS who have taken to BP hunting though they prefer the traditional sidelock longarms to inlines. I have had some correspondence with them and the "black arts" are happily on the increase in the UK.

Asif,

Let's hope penpusher gets full information on this and if you want to try out ML guns, you are most welcome ot get shooting with me when you visit the USA next. My Knight American Knight model uses No 11 caps, not at all a problem. I use both Goex 2F and Shockey Gold powders - you can try both out here and have some fun.

Cheers,

Mehul

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:26 am

Mehul, I don`t want to appear facetious but isn`t a trip abroad just to bring back 50 M/L caps going to be rather expensive ?
Those British M/L hunters must be bird or Rabbit shooting with shotguns. I haven`t heard of any domestic deer hunting with muzzle loaders.......probably bcause of the problems involved with proving the minimum 1700 ft lbs ME requirement.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:14 am

Hang on a minute! I thought reloading for one's personal use was perfectly legal.

As for muzzle loaders, most farmers use them so perhaps it's not the problem Asif thinks it is.

Asif, Murtuza (Bangalore Armoury) appears to be doing a rather decent trade in MLs. You could call him for details on what is available.

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:16 pm

Let me ask around about the BP Mack The Knife. Where its manufactured etc?Also the "caps' as I remember the primers being called...Like I said, looked very crudely made.
Am sure I can get a BP licence-but then again, how would it limit my other options?Transfers of the pistol and rifle , a fresh shotty etc.I'll have to spend time with the local DM's office and get the whole ground scenario wrt Noida licencing rules!!

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:18 am

Grumpy,

If, as Mack The Knife says, handloading for personal use is legal, then whoever buys a Savage 110 ML is not likely to have any problem. Also, as far as travelling outside the country is concerned, you would be surprised at how frequently Indian professionals travel outside India. :lol: No one needs to travel to buy ammunition, but those who travel and are shooters can always bring some back.

Mehul