Converting M1 .30 Carbine to Single Shot

Posts related to rifles.
rhino_777
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Converting M1 .30 Carbine to Single Shot

Post by rhino_777 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Does ANYONE know if anyone converts m1 carbines to single shot repeater? or sells them, or any info regarding it. Would that mean it opereates like a manual repeater?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Rhino

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Converting M1 .30 Carbine to Single Shot

Post by mundaire » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

IIRC IOF itself carried out conversions on the M1 .30 carbine and the M1 .30-06 Garand and also issued NPB certificates for the firearms converted by them. There must be a procedure for one to submit ones firearm to IOF and to have a similar conversion carried out.

An expedient conversion can be done by simply removing the gas piston assembly, however as this is not a "permanent" or irreversible conversion it wouldn't help you in getting an NPB certificate (from IOF).

To the best of my knowledge the chaps at IOF will drill a hole in the gas chamber/ gas tube thus permanently disabling the semi-auto mechanism, making the rifle into a sort of straight pull bolt action type.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:45 am

There are two easy ways to turn the M1 Carbine into a manual repeater. The first option would be to turn a gas piston with a longer head, any steel will do, so that it is locked all the way forward by the nut, and cannot move. A spotweld on the nut would make it permanent. (Almost,) This gives you a straight-pull manual repeater, looking exactly as before. The second option eliminates the slide, and TIG-welds a bolt handle to the right locking lug. It's now a manual turn-bolt. The piston should be treated in the same fashion to keep it in place, and prevent re-conversion with a new bolt and slide. What your law and regulations require, I cannot tell you. Cheers.

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:48 am

Well. I do not know a thing about this M1 Carbine but yes, Easiest way to convert a M1 Garand is to drill out the valve in the piston cylinder retaining nut under the barrel. This will render the semi auto mode useless as the gas that 's supposed to work the piston and thus the action will escape from under the barrel. I have seen this done to quite a few M1s. These M1 Garands in fairly good conditions are accurate enough to earn one a renowned shot certificate with a right kind of ammo.
Marksman

The Doc
Veteran
Veteran

Post by The Doc » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:51 pm

How much does a converted M1 ( with genuine conversion certificate) cost ? Anyone selling ?

RP.
It's always better to have a gun and not need it than need a gun and not have it !

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:58 pm

The Doc wrote:How much does a converted M1 ( with genuine conversion certificate) cost ? Anyone selling ?

RP.
Not sure about the prices, but I would not suggest it... the .30 carbine cartridge is essentially a pistol cartridge with minimal knock down power (for a rifle), also the ammo is not always available and from what I hear can be terribly expensive even when available. So IMHO with the semi-auto feature removed, it doesn't have much going for it... you'd probably be better off with a .22 LR rifle in stead!

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein