Roosvelts Big Medicine

Posts related to rifles.
kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Roosvelts Big Medicine

Post by kragiesardar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:49 am

Few guns hold more mystique for American hunters than the 1895 Winchester rifle chambered for the .405 Winchester cartridge. That's what you get when the President of the United States calls his '95 rifle "Big Medicine" for lions and other dangerous beasts. Theodore Roosevelt used his '95 .405 on an African hunt with great success. The president hunted America's biggest game, such as moose, elk and bears, with his .405, too. At the time of its introduction, it was the most powerful commercially loaded round and rifle in the United States and remained so until Winchester chambered the Model 70 rifle for the .375 H&H in the late 1930s. Sure, the British made more powerful cartridges and rifles, but American makers did not, and Brit rifles were beyond the reach of all but the wealthy.

The 1895 rifle was the last and most powerful lever-action rifle designed by John Browning for Winchester. It would take the new rimmed and rimless smokeless powder ammunition and sharp-pointed bullets in a fixed box magazine. The magazine protruded below the receiver and gave the '95 its distinctive look. The magazine configuration also earned the rifle a reputation for being ungainly. Actually, few Model 95s were sold. Less than 133,000 were made for the commercial market during its 35-year production run. By comparison, Winchester had already made more than one million Model 94s during the same period. The vast majority of the Model 1895s--293,000-odd--were made for the Imperial Russian army during World War I and chambered for its 7.62x54R round. After World War I, returning servicemen were sold on the bolt action, and the 1895's sales, never particularly strong, drooped. The rifle lingered on but grew an undeserved reputation for catastrophic failure (many .30-06 '95s as well as '03 Springfields blew up when 8mm Mauser ammo was accidentally substituted). That, combined with the Depression and slumping sales, caused the '95 to be discontinued in 1931.

Roosevelt was a human dynamo. He was the 26th and youngest President of the United States. He was an avid hunter, a Nobel Prize winner, a wildlife conservationist, a war hero, a Life member of the National Rifle Association, the author of 39 books, a father of six and the most gun-savvy man to ever occupy The White House. When it came to gun knowledge or shooting skill, no chief executive, now or then was his peer.

When it came to firearms he wrote a number of times that his favorite was the Winchester. From his first Winchester, a Model 1876 he ordered when he was 22 years old, to his favorite Model 1895, last used an a river exploration just scant years before his death at the age of 60, Roosevelt's Winchesters are now legendary and priceless pieces of Americana. Roosevelt, who was fond of exquisite goods, had within his economic means the ability to own any rifle manufactured during the period. Fine English doubles were considered the apex of the sporting world yet Roosevelt choose an American classic or, perhaps, the rifles he chose helped make them classics. Roosevelt's poor eyesight may have been a mitigating factor in his fondness for the arms of Oliver Winchester and his Winchester Repeating Arms Co. He was quoted as saying that he didn't "know how to shoot well, but I know how to short often."

No gun of the period shot more often or as reliably as did the Winchester - some models were capable of holding as many as 16 cartridges. Roosevelt no doubt enjoyed the capability of having plenty of ammunition in the gun as well as having a firerearm that could easily bring each successive round into battery with effortless ease and remarkable reliability. To a man whose shooting skill was severely hampered by eyesight - nearsightedness and later blindness in one eye - the fact that a Winchester could be sighted and fired, and fired again without having to remove the gun from his shoulder would have been a welcome feature for this "Bull Moose" of a man.

Roosevelt's was in 405 win, mine is in a 30.06. It has gold inlaid engraving, a tang safety and an action that feels like it is on ball bearings. The magazine allows you to use spitzers versus blunt bullets in other lever actions where the magazine is a tube in the butt or under the barrel and where the point of one rests against that of the other and can potentially cause serious issues if it detonates the primer of the cartridge ahead of it.

Have never used lever actions for hunting but I can understand why they are so popular. Easy to carry because of its slim contours, quick to the shoulder and the lever could be as fast as or faster than a bolt action. Plus the nostalgia.

Glad I bought it as Winchester shut down. Have had it for around 10 years. Have the orignal box and everything else. Will gift it to one of the boys on their 18th birthday.

For Advertising mail webmaster
HSharief
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by HSharief » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:26 am

Uno Mas, Sooooweeeet.

Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Sakobav » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 am

ksardar

This is truly a great collectors piece and a classic so how do you rotate the beauties or take turns within your harem lol.

I was just reading how Teddy's British friends gifted him Holland and holland's .500/450 bore royal Hamerless non ejector cordite double rifle. This rifle then was auctioned off for $550k in 1994. H and H are coming out with commemorative guns with engraving depicting Teddy shooting bison and other game.

Best

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:44 am

Outstanding... stupendous... WOW! :)
Never Shave without a Blade
.......^___________________^
....../ '---_________________ ]
...../_==O;;;;;;;;_______.:/
.....),---.(_(____)/.....
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Roosvelts Big Medicine

Post by indian » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:45 am

A collectible beauty indeed and that too in a pristine condition :D i must say your boys are very lucky.

ngrewal,

i have seen the pics of that H&H in the recent issue of african sporting gazette.the rifle will be unveiled at the 2009 shot show.

cheers :)

shahid

Post by shahid » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:43 am

Winchester has come out with a full range of T D cartridges last year. Visit their website to view them.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:50 am

Kragiesardar,
The rear sight looks very curious. Would it be possible to post a close up ?

:)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Hunter
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Hunter » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi KS,

My dad owned one in .35 winchester many moons ago...unfortunately had to sell it due lack of ammo!

Take care!

kragiesardar
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by kragiesardar » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:44 am

Hi TenX,
It's what is called a buckhorn. You can get more details here:
http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights.html
Regards,
Kragiesardar

shahid

Post by shahid » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 am

We have one in .44 lying around with a cousin now. Without the ammo it is pretty much unused for years.

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:37 pm

kragiesardar";p="65073 wrote: Hi TenX,
It's what is called a buckhorn. You can get more details here:
http://www.marblearms.com/rearSights.html
Regards,
Kragiesardar
Thanks.. thats good info :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:02 am

Teddy Roosevelt is one of my heroes.That man led an amazing life, so many dimensions to him. A consummate individual. He was a voracious reader and writer. He wrote quite a few books on hunting in North America and Africa. He was a true people's man. I can go on.

Also, he had an A.H.Fox shotgun that he greatly prized.

http://www.connecticutshotgun.com/index/Fox/Fox1.html

Kragiesardar,

You are a man of taste.And thanks for sharing that with us.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TenX
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TenX » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:39 am

Vikram";p="65252 wrote: ...Kragiesardar,

You are a man of taste....
I second that :)
....// (..) ),----/....
...//____//......
..//____//......
.//____//......
..-------

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:01 am

These rifles are so well designed and are a great tribute to John M Browning's firearm genius.

I once owned one in .30-40 US (or .30-40 Krag). It was a field grade with much of the bluing gone, but still in good shape. It had the standard 28 inch barrel (!).

The range I used in those days was in Montana, and among many other things, there was a steel coyote on a hillside, about 500 yards away and quite a bit higher than the shooting benches. By holding considerably over, I was able to hit Mr. Coyote pretty reliably by touching off a round. Bringing my head up and turning my ear toward the coyote, and listening for the satisfying "clang!" of the impacting bullet. Off of a rest at 100 yards, the rifle would keep within less than 2 inches horizontally, but would tend to string vertically.

I carried it for hunting for several years, but never had the opportunity to take anything with it.

I also had the chance in the 80s to buy a Model 95 originally sold to the Tsarist regime. The musket fore end was cut back and the barrel shortened, and the clip charger guides were missing, but it was only $175. The first Mosin Nagant rifles were coming into this country then, and I should have anticipated that surplus ammunition would follow. At the time 7.62 x 54r ammo was an oddball cartridge in this country. Now I have a great deal of it in my garage, but no M 95 to shoot it with! :-(

What I loved about it is that (as will all of the Browning designs I know of) it was a planar design. All movement was contained in an X-Y axis and there was no rotation in the Z axis. All of Browning's designs could therefore be depicted on a 2 dimensional piece of paper with clarity. Also, Browning paid keen attention to the leverage of the action. This and the planar design gives all of Browning's designs a very unique and satisfying "feel" when they are operated.

(As an example of the point I'm making, compare the operation of a Marlin 336 lever with that of an original design Winchester 94 -- they are contemporaries. The Marlin uses a pretty crude prying action to pull the bolt back and shove it forward, and the lever has a hook near the trigger guard portion that pulls the bolt lock down and pushes it back up.

But the Browning-designed Winchester pivots the far end of the lever directly on the bolt and places the fulcrum of the lever on a hinged receiver floorplate. The front of the floorplate pivots at the front of the receiver bottom and the other end is connected to the bolt lock. The effect of the design is to give much better leverage to pulling down and pushing up the bolt lock, and to cause the lever to operate in a more nearly perpendicular action in relation to the bolt -- it is always in a position of better leverage during the lever operation, in comparison to the Marlin design. When the bolt is nearly closed or is beginning to open, (where it has to pull a possibly sticky case out of the chamber) the Browning design has much more leverage due to the compounded pivot of the lever, even though it has the same travel as the Marlin's lever.)

For the Model 95, Browning was able to handle an even longer round (up to 30-06 length) and by providing a box magazine, could used ballistically superior spitzer bullets. The bottom of the bolt has a very intricate safety mechanism that inter works with the bolt lock, preventing you from firing the weapon until the bolt is totally closed. Because of this and the pivoting floor plate (now working backwards across the trigger from the M 94 design, since the bottom of the receiver is occupied by the box magazine), the action has many small parts, but in seeming contradiction, (again, like all Browning designs) the rifle is as durable as a caveman in the field, despite it's intricacies.

I very much agree with you, kragiesardar, that the most desirable M 95 to have would be in .405 Winchester, and yours is truly beautiful with all of that engraving! Lucky you! Thanks for sharing with us.

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:35 am

While the sight on that rifle is a "buckhorn" style, this term refers to the style of the rear sight notch, not the style of sight itself. This style of sight, consisting of a spring steel leaf with a slot to accept the notched elevator, is a piece of "Yankee ingenuity", it does the job at minimum cost. Once common on most US rifles, it is now still common on many .22 RF rifles, and reproductions originally so fitted. They work, but are nothing to brag about. The buckhorn, once upon a time just about standard on American hunting rifles, while cradling the target, really hides too much of it for a quick shot. Cheers.