Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: Original Oberndorf Mauser Type A in .30-06

Post by indian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:46 am

Nice write up and a nice looking rifle and wrist watch herb :) can you please enlighten me about the mausers being made today and are they of the same quality as the old obendorf sporters.BTW whats the caliber of the rifle in picture.

cheers,
Ravi teja :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:00 am

The gun is an 8mm caliber, same as most Mauser military rifles. I think the new Mausers are better rifles as far as metal and build quality is concerned . A new magnum M98 Mauser costs about $15000 in Canada. You can find the details on the Mauser web site below...

Mauser web site.

Herb

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:06 am

Thanks for the reply herb :) 8MM(7.92x57)is a very nice caliber and i have shot it a lot.

cheers :)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:59 am

The square bridge has no other significance then that when a rifle was ordered with scope from the factory, the mount was built into the square bridge. People apparently liked the looks of it, and so rifles were built on these actions, even when no scope was ordered. In the collectors market the square bridge, being less common, is more highly valued. Cheers.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:58 am

Mack:

About your idea of having a second stock to use for the field, I can only offer you information regarding what is available from the USA, FWIW.

Most of the wood stock makers have gone out of business here, driven out of business by synthetic stocks. The two famous ones were Reinhart Fajen and Bishop. (I believe Bishop was Fajen's son-in-law and the two didn't get along well...) Finally Fajen bought out Bishop and then Fajen sold out. Now stocks made under his name are only available for a limited number of rifles. It seems as if the company as it has been bought now works with wood flooring products, but the company that bought them still lists a laminated stock for M98s:

Fajen gunstocks

Boyd's Gunstocks used to buy cheaper Fajen products and sell them under their own name. On there site, I still see some M98 laminated products for sale:

Boyd's

Fred Wenig used to be Fajen's shop foreman. Now he is on his own and seems to come closest to offering what Fajen sold years back. Fajen had a style called "European Sporter" that came closest to matching the stock on your rifle. Wenig offers something called a "Classic" that is similar, and this is probably the closest thing that I know of to your M98. The catalog link is funny to use, just use the small icon at the bottom to go forward in the catalog.

Fred Wenig Custom Gunstocks

Richard's Microfit Gunstocks offers laminate products. They also have an "Old Classic" style that comes close to your current stock. You can get laminate that looks a lot like an all-natural product. It also has the advantage of being a lot less sensitive to weather changes and humidity, which would be in line with your accurizing project. The stocks are also pretty reasonable in cost, but as I hear, they require more hand work to finish than the old semi finished stocks we were used to years back. But then, I have not used one of Richard's products, I'm only passing along what I hear. Here is the link:

Richard's Microfit Gunstocks

edit: I see you have Richard's in your post, sorry!

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:41 am

Herb,

Well said.However in Indian context,the vast majority are allowed to own only one center fire rifle.If a person wants to shoot,he has to shoot the rifle that he owns.It could be the only one of it's kind in the world that would be kept in a safe as being too valuable to shoot some where else,but not here.You shoot it or do not shoot at all.

coltpython
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by coltpython » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:21 pm

congrats Mack The Knife its a lovely gun.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Hunter

Knowing you , congratulations will be in order.

M.
Hunter";p="64984 wrote:Congrats Mack The Knife,simply brilliant!,,,BTW I have been offered a pre 64 Winchester model 70 in .375 H & H.Will post u some photos shortly.

Take Care!
Last edited by fantumfan2003 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fantumfan2003
Veteran
Veteran

Post by fantumfan2003 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:33 pm

Mack The Knife congratulations. She is a beauty.

Manish

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:02 am

Timmy: Thanks for the suggestions but I have more or less decided to opt for a Hogue Overmoulded stock - http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

penpusher

Post by penpusher » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:30 am

Mack The Knife,

Military mausers may have a different barrel profile from your rifle.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am

They don't say this on Cabelas but some other sites do mention that this will fit a sporter and have also provided some key dimensions. I have yet to check these against mine but if it can fit Grumpy's FN Mauser action in .30-06, I have a feeling it should work on an original Mauser sporter.

At present the problem is finding someone to bring it to India because U.S. regulations do not permit its export to India.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 am

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:54 am

Mack The Knife:

The Hogue choice would be hard to argue against. There's little work and the stock will be stable under all sorts of conditions. The pillar bedding is a good thing, also.

If I win the lottery here I can bring one to you!

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 am

What's really getting my goat is that Midway have it on sale for $89.99 and they wont accept an international credit card. :banghead: