450/400 Jeffery

Posts related to rifles.
eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:22 am

Thanks Mehul,
One hears of "...paying for the sins of the fathers..." but I sure am grateful that my father decided to hold onto the these weapons from the family division and taught us the love of fine weaponery...sad to say, the other weapons which were distributed amongst the rest of the family are long sold-last I saw was a .25 beretta about 20-25 yrs ago and a ML- (I could swear now it was a 3 band tower musket!) with another distant Grand uncle.
I also distinctly remember a drilling-9.3 rifle and SxS 16-cant remember the name now- and a VERY UGLY looking 32 French made revolver, (didnt look anything like a Peacemaker-which was a revolver for us in those impressionable days) dad had to get rid of them as he couldnt keep them on his licence-gave away the 32 to to a first cousin and sold the drilling to another cousin for 3000 rupees...There were times when we felt like getting rid of the jefferey too-mainly because of the lack of oppurtunity to use it and the high cost of ammo-last 20 I got from sambandam i think, was 100 bucks each!and getting a 'treasured' 30-06 instead, hopefully better sense prevailed, in spite of WC's visitations. :wink:
Now that I've inherited it, I'm going to keep it.Who knows, may be my son may take his buff with it someday?
Best
Axx
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

For Advertising mail webmaster
mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:46 am

Asif,

Don't worry - your children's children and their children will hunt with the Jeffery. 8) What I find particularly reassuring is that you have the future firmly in sight - may all of us impart this love of guns and the outdoors to our progeny. As I told you Hornady are planning to start making 450-400 ammunition again considering how popular the calibre is becoming these days and very soon, you would be able to buy ammunition for it whenever you travel abroad.

Mack The Knife would tell you this - sometime ago when I didn't know you and he told me that this rifle was probably for sale, my first suggestion was to dissuade your family from selling it. It is a good thing that this will not happen now. Selling a beauty like that leaves you only with money and memories - and in hard times those memories could become painful. I still miss some of the guns I have sold and I will never sell a gun again. Your father took the right decision when he decided to keep this particular gun. Your decision to keep it is equally, perfectly right.

Cheers,

Mehul

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:42 pm

Mehul,
You should listen to him wax forth about the Jefferey.Like an Amex or whatever-He never left home without it! got himself a new fangled 315 and sold it a week or so later, after a bad experience with a Bison near Kollegal,where the Jefferey was used to dispatch the "bison-that refused -to-die" (after 3 from a 315) and insisted on trying to even the score...man was heart broken after the hunting ban and I guess my brother & I kept the shooting tradition going with our NCC/KSRA shooting medals.We took him out to the range once during NCC practice sessions- he opened up with the 303 and couldnt get the grin of his face for a week! 4" groups at 100yds-He's still suffering from '303 smellie-itis' like the rest of us.Incurable, intractable...
best
Axx

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:51 am

Asif,

Get Arif to bring him to the range then. It's only .22lr stuff but what the hell!

This assuming he is a member - non members cannot shoot. Failing which we could set up something at the Kanakpura farm - tin chickens, spinners, et al. What?

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:53 pm

Mack The Knife,
We'll let him pull off a couple with the Jefferey before it goes in for face lift etc.More fun...I am scrounging ammo-enough for a couople of shots for 4 of us :wink:
best
Axx

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:25 pm

eljefe wrote:I am scrounging ammo-enough for a couople of shots for 4 of us :wink:
That's great but how on earth will you bring that by air?

Mack The Knife

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:38 am

Mack The Knife-
arranging...(mysterious wink!)
In this day and age, I wouldnt want gas in my gut for a flight :twisted:
Gotta find a suitable backstop-that farm area is buzzing with housing activity, judges colony and what not...There used to be regular elephant visitations and even sightings of panther there until 5 years ago...
Best
Axx

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

450/400ammo

Post by eljefe » Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:40 am

PS:can you ask the bombay pal to arrange for 10? Will send of money from here, can he do a dealer to dealer transfer to kovi shop or something?
Tnx
Asif

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:07 pm

that farm area is buzzing with housing activity, judges colony and what not...
When the hell did that happen? Last I was there, a highway was coming up nearby but did not see any construction activity.

There used to be regular elephant visitations and even sightings of panther there until 5 years ago...
Know about these. The rogue was around then. And let's not forget our porcine friends on the hills to the right....

Mack The Knife

monty3006
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by monty3006 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:37 am

eljefe,
I have a friend in kolhapur with 10 rounds of 450/400 3 1/4" make is kynoch. will these do 4 ure rifle?

Monish
Monish