quality of parker hale rifles

Posts related to rifles.
indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

quality of parker hale rifles

Post by indian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:27 am

hi everybody :D recently came across 2 parker hale 30-06 rifles.one is model midland and other is safari 1000.they r not expensive but i would like your opinions on their quality and drawbacks or problems if any :) :)

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:38 am

Hi Indian,

As Grumps will shortly elaborate on it,Parker-Hales are nice rifles.Nothing fancy, but well built and functional.P-H barrels and actions are known for their quality. Our,mine and Grumps', sporterised .303 is a Parker-Hale. 30/06 is a fine calibre and probably the most versatile.It can be your best all round rifle for Canadian hunting.Do let us know if you buy either of them.More details will help better.All the best and good hunting.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Re: quality of parker hale rifles

Post by indian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:14 am

thanks vikram garu :D......waiting for grumps reply :) :)

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:14 am

Hi Indian, Parker Hale are good rifles, from what I know they used M98 actions from different sources including FN Belgium and Santa Barbara Spain. FN's are good actions but the quality of Santa Barbara actions are debatable.

Herb

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:11 am

Parker Hales are nice rifles - usually built on Mauser 98 actions although Vikrams utilises an Enfield No 4 Mk 1*. The P-H Magnum Mausers are very desirable in the US but not often seen. Good barrels as well. The stocks are invariably full Monte Carlos - which I like........but the Yanks don`t.
The Midlands are also invariably built on M98 actions. Stocks are not as nice as the P-Hs and usually made of inferior wood. The P-Hs invariably have Walnut stocks.
The last P-H model made - the Scout - was only available in .243 and .308 Win and had a brown laminated stock.
Both makes are excellent value for money but I`d go for the P-H unless it`s a scruffy one. If you can, take the rifle to a range and check it out. Even with ammo they really hate, P-Hs, Midlands and BSAs should knock out sub 3" groups. Fed the right diet, a good P-H or BSA can produce MOA groups.......or better.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:41 am

thanks herb and grumpy :D i will check out those rifles....

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:13 am

Any particular reason why you are considering the PH rifles? If the asking price is above $400 then a new savage or stevens would be a better value for money. It is a different matter if you are specifically looking for a Mauser 98 based rifle, many of us do.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:38 am

hi herb :) im not specific about PH but came to know about a couple of them with accuracy plus in peterborough.....just wanted to know about them.basically,i wanted to go for a decent 30-06 in place of my .303 sporter :D :D

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:12 am

Check out how the rifle shoots as Grumpy suggested. As mentioned by others PH's are excellent guns but if you are only looking for a hunting rifle in 30-06 then look at some of the new synthetic stock guns like the Savage, Remington or Weatherby Vanguard as they are more suited to draging thru the snow & rain which is a constant fixture of Canadian hunting. I too love the old wood stocked guns but come hunt time and I will take my Remington XCR.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:44 am

thanks herb :) i really had a vangaurd in my mind but just waiting for a decent used one...but as per your suggestion,i think a vangaurd is the best

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:53 pm

Vanguards are very good rifles based on the Howa 1500 actions. Check out the vanguard sub-moa's which are guaranteed to shoot inside .99 inch at 100 yards. They are a bit pricy but for all hunting purposes a standard vanguard is fine.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:34 pm

The Howa 1500 ( Weatherby Vanguard ) is an excellent rifle. I can`t say that I care for the plastic stock on the Weatherby Vanguard ...... but at least it`s better than the really rubbish basic plastic stock that the Howa US distributors put on the 1500. Of course you can now buy the Howa with a Hogue Overmolded stock which is really excellent.
Another alternative would be to buy one of the P-Hs and fit a Hogue Overmolded stock ( M98 style. ) The pillar bedded version is more than adequate for a hunting rifle and at under $140 ( US ) is a stonking bargain.
There`s little doubt that a fine wood stock looks better than any synthetic stock but there are decided advantages with some synthetic stocks - especially for a hunting rifle: The bedding is already sorted-out, the grip is better when wet, there is much less chance of damaging the stock on thorns/brambles/rocks, the stock won`t swell if it gets wet and, because of the bedding, accuracy is improved.
As I`ve said before, the Hogue Overmolded stocks have to be just about the best bargain in shooting accessories available.

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:17 am

thanks grumpy......i will go for a vangaurd sometime next month and may get it started with wild boar hunting :D

herb
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by herb » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:15 am

Where are you planning to hunt boar in Canada?

indian
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by indian » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:54 am

quebec.....there is only one guy doing this in ontario(he is challenging the government)but he is expensive...his website is www.bigtusks.com