Indian Army Getting the SIG 716?

Posts related to rifles.
HairyTrigger
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Indian Army Getting the SIG 716?

Post by HairyTrigger » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:29 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but does this video claim the Indian army is getting 70000+ SIG 716 rifles? Does that mean it will become the main army rifle? What happened with Kalashnikov building a factory in India and other Indigenous projects?

For Advertising mail webmaster
riflemarksman
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Re: Indian Army Getting the SIG 716?

Post by riflemarksman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 pm

Why would Russia build a kalashinkov factory when India had already started making ak 47 pattern rifles nearly two decades ago..check the OFB website.....by the way russia did not like it

ganesh_rao_jadhav
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Re: Indian Army Getting the SIG 716?

Post by ganesh_rao_jadhav » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:26 pm

#1. The SIG 716 G2 Patrol, is being issued only to the frontline Infantry units, manning the LOC with China & Pakistan.

#2. The experience of the Infantrymen was that the INSAS 5.56 wasn't good enough to engage at distances greater than 500m(This has been the experience of the US/Coalition forces in Afghanistan as well).
That the INSAS is a piece of ___, and much hated by the forces is another matter altogether.
The SIG 716 with the 7.62x51mm round fits the bill. The logic was that, let this rifle be issued to the frontline troops, whose main weapon is their battle rifle. The SIG 716 will bring back the power of the good old SLR(FN-FAL 7.62) battle rifle into the forces, albeit with a modernized touch.

#3. The Ak-203 (modified AK-103), fires the 7.62x39mm round. These are being manufactured in India, and will be issued to the rest of the Non Infantry units. Apparently some Infantry units might get these as well. Cost was a factor here. AK-203 are much cheaper to produce & carry the reliability DNA of the legendary Kalashnikov series.

Just my 2 cents...