Posts related to rifles.
Shooterlike
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Re: Modifying an IOF 30-06

Post by Shooterlike » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:05 am

riflemarksman wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:12 pm
Since most people shooting IOF 30-06 rifle would not use it beyond 200 to 300 meters , then do these modifications really improve the accuracy that much ....considering the amount of money spent on modifications which is at times more expensive than the cost of the rifle itself.........yes, the modification will make the rifle look good......unless there is an issue with the functioning of the gun, like the bolt etc
it s kindly to be remembered iof3006 is a sporting rifle and is issued for the same purpose and the distance for a big bore event s known by all, so any modification to improve accuracy s encourageable

For Advertising mail webmaster
veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:51 am

IOF 30 06 is very accurate normally. IMHO so no modification except practice is necessary.

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm

Instead of spending 1-1.5 lac on modification buy bullets for that price and practice which will me more fun than modifying a Indian gun which doesn’t make that much sense .

eljefe
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by eljefe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am

sourabhsangale wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm
Instead of spending 1-1.5 lac on modification buy bullets for that price and practice which will me more fun than modifying a Indian gun which doesn’t make that much sense .
When the scope mounting is out of alignment and wood touches the barrel unevenly, many lacs worth of ammunition wont set that fault right or be any fun.
leaving the bluing and woodwork aside, magazine mods for feed reliability and basic epoxy bedding to ensure correct wood to metal contact, will give
a.feed reliability
b. repeatable results

If someone is passionate about owning an ACCURATE firearm,the aesthetics also become an inherent part.

The 30-06 IOF is a far departure from the usual offerings of the Honourable Society of Bedpan Mechanics. Something acknowledged by all users.How did they get this one right? There have been a few reports of the chamber being a wee bit undersized, which needed a fresh reamer to come back to size.
The whole purpose of modding a firearm, besides aesthetics is to eliminate the variables and ensure repeatability-which translates into accuracy.

WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND the physics /mechanics behind it, then you will realise that spending a lac of rupees of fuel on a car with out of alignment wheels, leaky carb and shattered windshield is no fun. Simple?
''It dont mean a thing, if it aint got that zing!''

"...Oh but if I went 'round sayin' I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away..."

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am

eljefe wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:45 am
sourabhsangale wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:10 pm
When the scope mounting is out of alignment and wood touches the barrel unevenly, many lacs worth of ammunition wont set that fault right or be any fun.
leaving the bluing and woodwork aside, magazine mods for feed reliability and basic epoxy bedding to ensure correct wood to metal contact, will give
a.feed reliability
b. repeatable results

If someone is passionate about owning an ACCURATE firearm,the aesthetics also become an inherent part.

The 30-06 IOF is a far departure from the usual offerings of the Honourable Society of Bedpan Mechanics. Something acknowledged by all users.How did they get this one right? There have been a few reports of the chamber being a wee bit undersized, which needed a fresh reamer to come back to size.
The whole purpose of modding a firearm, besides aesthetics is to eliminate the variables and ensure repeatability-which translates into accuracy.

WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND the physics /mechanics behind it, then you will realise that spending a lac of rupees of fuel on a car with out of alignment wheels, leaky carb and shattered windshield is no fun. Simple?
Yes sir simple and very right information given . But I guess most gun are made with precision so this problem might be there for a defective piece in that case modifying is the option .

AgentDoubleS
Poster of the month - Apr 2015
Poster of the month - Apr 2015

Post by AgentDoubleS » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:57 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:01 am

Yes sir simple and very right information given . But I guess most gun are made with precision so this problem might be there for a defective piece in that case modifying is the option .
Your guess is wrong- most IOF guns are made with poor quality and require work to make use of their full potential. Some can have a lot of work done and will still show no potential! Thankfully the IOF 3006 is not the latter.

It is is an inherently accurate rifle, modern design, excellent and durable barrel and a crisp trigger.

However, the stock is shaped all wrong, the magazine will almost always feed poorly, the bolt handle will hit the receiver while charging, the ring mounting holes are the wrong size, it has a dovetail that isn’t ideal for mounting a scope of high recoiling rifle, and and as eljefe says the chamber is undersized so some rounds will feed and others might not. A snap cap might not feed at all!! How do I know this? I own it. And mine is not an exception.

The IOF 3006 worked on by a good gunsmith is one of the best big bore sporting rifle one can own in India. It does require some gun smithing though but comes out on top after the work has been done.

Thanks for the excellent post eljefe.

Cheers
SS

sourabhsangale
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sourabhsangale » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:22 pm

AgentDoubleS wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:57 pm
sourabhsangale wrote:

Your guess is wrong- most IOF guns are made with poor quality and require work to make use of their full potential. Some can have a lot of work done and will still show no potential! Thankfully the IOF 3006 is not the latter.

It is is an inherently accurate rifle, modern design, excellent and durable barrel and a crisp trigger.

However, the stock is shaped all wrong, the magazine will almost always feed poorly, the bolt handle will hit the receiver while charging, the ring mounting holes are the wrong size, it has a dovetail that isn’t ideal for mounting a scope of high recoiling rifle, and and as eljefe says the chamber is undersized so some rounds will feed and others might not. A snap cap might not feed at all!! How do I know this? I own it. And mine is not an exception.

The IOF 3006 worked on by a good gunsmith is one of the best big bore sporting rifle one can own in India. It does require some gun smithing though but comes out on top after the work has been done.

Thanks for the excellent post eljefe.

Cheers
SS
Ok sir .

sumbriavikramaditya
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by sumbriavikramaditya » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:30 pm

sourabhsangale wrote:
I did only three modifications to my IOF .30-06 to get 1.4 MOA groups at 100 and 200 yards. Earlier I was getting 1.5 or 1.6.
1. Attached a Picatinny Rail on top of Dovetail from a renowned gunsmith in Chandigarh.
2. Moved front Sling Stud by 3 inches forward. It was done by a local carpenter. Now bipod gives more stability to the rifle.
3. Filed the front wood stock from inside to have a free-floating barrel. It is somehow crude but now I can pass a Banknote between the barrel and the stock. The area under the rear iron sight required some more work.

Regards

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:30 pm

It all depends on the purpose that you want to possess a Rifle.
1. If you want a hunting rifle equal to any but the custom built ones follow what I have posted. But to hunt you will have to go abroad, Africa Europe, US or someplace where hunting is allowed. NOT India.
2. If you want a rifle to take part in a big bore shooting event then the modifications have to be totally different, you need iron sights, a differently shaped stock. Bolt work and muzzle crowning is a must.
3. If you want to own a Rifle and be a proud owner, without being a target shooter or a hunter, then go for the modifications which enhance its appearance and accuracy both. An hunting rifle is a more attractive weapon to possess than a target rifle. The IOF 3006 as pointed out, is basically a sound product and with proper gunsmithing work superior to most old Winchesters/BSA/Sako/Remington/Burno's etc, which you see in India at almost 5x the price.
Finally, it is a matter of personal choice.

dsen
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by dsen » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 pm

For the best IOF .30-06 modifications, please contact Mr. Damanbir Singh at Army Gun House, Amritsar.

Check out this IOF rifle he modifield! ->

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:59 pm

Mr.dsen can you please post your experiences regarding the folding stock for IOF 30-06 , its price, installalation and availablity any all details in this forum for the benifit of all members. Also please post as many close up photos as possible about the folding butt stock . its pros and cons .

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun May 02, 2021 2:29 pm

This folding stock will be useful when you are travelling by heli on your mission to get the bad guys or gals

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Sun May 02, 2021 8:54 pm

HA ! HA !. But why is that no one in the forum who have bought or installed it , posts about the pros and cons of this acessory what ever it s utility may be??.

shooter50
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by shooter50 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:19 pm

dsen wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:13 pm
For the best IOF .30-06 modifications, please contact Mr. Damanbir Singh at Army Gun House, Amritsar.

Check out this IOF rifle he modifield! ->
Please forgive me but that is a hideous way to treat a bolt action 3006
🙏🙏

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:40 pm

I had asked this person through wattsapp about the folding butt stock but he was not keen on replying.