The black rifle has arrived

Posts related to rifles.
axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

The black rifle has arrived

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:12 am

So I got the Rock River Arms AR-15 Entry Tactical Carbine that I was talking about a few months ago.

.223 (5.56 NATO) Carbine with Collapsible butt stock, flash suppressor, 30 round mags(NH doesn't have any assault weapon restrictions) and a scope rail. The Drug Enforcement Administration has chosen the RRA AR-15 (with 3 round burst) as their official weapon.

Took it to the range last weekend, is a blast to shoot and is VERY accurate.

Enjoy the pics., comments/questions/criticism welcome.

Collapsed stock

Fully extended stock

-Naren

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Sweet piece of hardware! :mrgreen:

I believe there are after-market full auto conversions kits available in the US! Are these legal in your state? What about tactical NV sights? Any legal restrictions there?

Needless to say NV sights (& goggles) as well as full auto weapons are completely off limits for civvies here! :evil:

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:47 pm

Sweet piece of hardware!
It is, indeed. Thank you.

Full Auto conversion is very illegal, according to Federal Law. Hence no states can allow it.

State laws can be as strict, or stricter than Federal laws (when it comes to firearms, don't know about others), but never more relaxed.

So if something is banned federally, no state can allow it.

e.g. the assault weapon ban that Clinton passed in 1994 was a federal ban, hence all states had to follow it, while it lasted.

But when it was thrown out in 2004, States didn't have to follow it anymore. Of course, Commie states like MA, CA, NJ stayed with it or came out with their own versions of it (no collapsible butt stock, no flash suprressor, no high capacity magazine, or magazine screwed to the mag well, etc.) but NH and other gun friendly states let it go.

Full auto weapons (also known as Class III) which were registered prior to 1986 (or84) can be sold and purchased, provided the buyer fills out some federal paperwork and buys a $200 or so tax stamp. But since only so many from before 1986 are available, the situation with full autos has become like the situation with all guns in India, they are hard to find, and are VERY overpriced.
e.g. an original (Colt?) Thompson SMG would go for $40k - $60k, there was a Thompson made by some other company, but full auto, at the Gun show last weekend which the guy was asking $16k for.

HK MP-5s registered prior to 1986 can go for $20-$25K
check this link out, they have legal info. too

http://www.impactguns.com/store/machineguns.html

People with manufacturer's licenses can also build full autos (conversion kit might be included) but can only use for display purposes and maybe export, but cannot sell to individuals in the US.

So, no, my AR is, and will remain semi-auto only. Rapid fire comes pretty close to full auto though, will post a link to a video clip sometime soon.

Optics, night vision, all that stuff is freely available online, which makes me believe that it is very legal, although quite expensive. NV rifle scopes cost $1000-$7000. I did read something about having to follow proper export procedures to ship these outside the country, not adherence to which, would make export illegal.

I do plan on getting a red dot sight, and a tactical flashlight for my AR, but those things are also pricey, and will have to wait a while.

Thanks,
Naren

mehulkamdar

Re: The black rifle has arrived

Post by mehulkamdar » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:10 am

Naren,

Nice piece of kit. What ammunition are you using and what twist does the barrel have?

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:45 pm

Mehul,
I have used American Eagle (65 gr.), and Winchester white box (55 gr.) with it. Since I used it for some fun target shooting, I didn't bother what ammo I was getting, and picked the cheapest kind at Walmart. Haven't sighted it in with good ammo yet, but it is still pretty darn accurate.

Twist is 1:9.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:33 am

Cool rifle Naren.......You can have some fun varmint shooting when you get the chance.
We`re not allowed semi-auto rifles in the UK ( except for .22 RF ) so all AR15/M16s have to be built with a dedicated ( not modified ) straight pull, non-semi-auto receiver top. Still pretty useful for Practical Rifle.

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:19 am

Yes, Varmint hunting is definitely on the agenda. I took a hunter's ed course last month and am very excited to go hunting. In New Hampshire, we don't have a season for coyote, can hunt them all year. The county I live in, has residential areas close to the fish and game public hunting land, and they don't allow .223s (only shotguns) I think, but I can always go up north to use my AR.

By the way, have you hunted coyote/fox? If you have, I will start another thread in the appropriate section and you could give us some tips and share stories.

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:40 am

I`ve never hunted Coyotes......but Foxes ? Oh yes......loads and loads and loads of `em. Yup, good idea, start a thread on Fox/Coyote hunting.

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:51 am

Naren,

What kind of groups are you getting with each type of ammunition? The reason I am asking this is because each one would require a different twist - theoretically speaking. I am also curious about the hold required because of the raised sights. The only AR 15s I have seen were flat tops with scopes that are popular in service type matches in Wisconsin.

Mehul

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Mehul,
With the American Eagle we got 2 inch groups at 50 yards, after some quick sighting in. I am sure some better sighting in could get even better results.

With the Winchester White box, we were shooting at clays set up on a berm at 25 yards, so don't really know what the groups were, but we were getting the clays pretty easily.

To tell you the truth I don't really know much about twists and holds, am fairly new to rifles - even that Ruger 10/22 I've had for some time was mainly for fun shooting.

I plan on installing a red dot sight on it sometime soon. There is a long accessory list for the AR, when I have funds to spare.

The first accessory I installed was a $20 extended latch for the charging handle that makes it easier to charge the bolt. Next is a tactical sling which is also fairly inexpensive.

I got the AR mainly because it was a Nam rifle and I always wanted one, from watching all the Rambo movies. You know how us young'uns are fascinated with black military rifles, heh.

The manual that came with it is an actual copy of the US GI manual for M-16 A4s - a direct copy, it doesn't even have the name Rock River or AR-15 on it.

I haven't found the time to read it yet, but should make some good reading on my flight to India next month.

-Naren

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:03 pm

axp817";p="2640 wrote:Mehul,
I haven't found the time to read it yet, but should make some good reading on my flight to India next month.
-Naren
And I thought we ll be hunting along :( :D

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:14 pm

And I thought we ll be hunting along
Didn't quite understand that. As in that hunting trip in the Mid West that is being planned?

I won't be able to make it, unfortunately, will be in India only for 2 weeks, but have work related travel afterwards.

-N

kanwar76
Eminent IFG'an
Eminent IFG'an

Post by kanwar76 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:46 pm

axp817";p="2642 wrote:
And I thought we ll be hunting along
Didn't quite understand that. As in that hunting trip in the Mid West that is being planned?

I won't be able to make it, unfortunately, will be in India only for 2 weeks, but have work related travel afterwards.

-N
Hey nothing Naren,

Yah I was talking about that trip only (but more in jokish manner).I don?t even know if I can make it or will I be able to hunt or not. Nothing like a trip back home. Here wishing you a nice one....

Inder
I am the Saint the Soldier that walks in Peace. I am the Humble dust of your feet, But dont think my Spirituality makes me weak. The Heavens will roar if my Kirpan were to speak...

mehulkamdar

Post by mehulkamdar » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 am

Naren,

Generally, in rifles with faster twists heavier bullets perform better, for light bullets you need a more gradual twist. If your rifle has a 1 in 12" twist it should be good for the 55 grain bullets while the heavier SS 109 NATO type ammunition would require a faster twist of 1 turn in 7 1/2 inches. Just check this and you'll be able to start looking for bullets matched to your rifle.

I am somewhat curious about the open sights on the AR 15/M16 because they are so high above the barrel. In traditional rifles the sights were mounted on the barrel and were therefore close to the centre of the barrel itself. In rifles like the AR 15/M 16 and Kalashnikov, the layout places the sights very high above the barrel, hence my question. Just curious, that's all.

Cheers!

axp817
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by axp817 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:40 am

Thanks for the info. Mehul. The twist on mine is 1:9 so I guess a 'heavier' round works better, I will look for this when I buy .223 next time.

Those are good questions you raise, about the sights. Doug and I did discuss point of aim and point of impact techniques, but since neither of us had any real info. on those we were merely speculating. I should start reading about these things, so far the AR has only been a fancy assault rifle toy, no serious sighting and shooting, just fun shooting.

-Naren