IOF launches sniper rifle based on IOF .30-06

Posts related to rifles.
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

IOF launches sniper rifle based on IOF .30-06

Post by mundaire » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:57 pm

It seems like the boffins at IOFB have taken the IOF .30-06 rifle, changed the stock, rebarreled it to accept 7.62x51, threaded the barrel to accept a moderator and slapped on a scope. Don't miss the price at which they are flogging it to the government!

http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/india-ge ... re-1743622
India Gets Its Own Sniper Rifle From West Bengal's Ishapore
The indigenous sniper rifle was launched today at the Rifle Factory, Ishapore, just outside Kolkata. In 1998, this Ordnance Board factory had brought out the Insas Rifle, now used across Indian security forces and key at Kargil.
All India | Written by Monideepa Banerjie | Updated: August 30, 2017 00:43 IST

Ishapore sniper costs Rs. 2.5 lakh, has a caliber of 7.62 mm, weighs 6.7 kg and can kill at 800 metres

Kolkata: Remember American Sniper, a 2014 film on the deadliest marksman in US military history? Or the 1973 film, The Day of the Jackal, about an assassination attempt on French president Charles de Gaulle? In both, the key is the sniper rifle, deadly accurate and long range.

The Kolkata Police has now decided, in this day and age, to protect VIPs, handle terror attacks or hostage situations, they need sniper rifles too.

The good news is that they will no longer need to import the preferred German machine, Heckler & Koch, referred to as H&N.

They can now buy Indian-made sniper rifles at one-third the price, as good as the best in the world. And there won't be ammo shortage either.

The indigenous sniper rifle was launched today at the Rifle Factory, Ishapore, just outside Kolkata. In 1998, this Ordnance Board factory had brought out the Insas Rifle, now used across Indian security forces and key at Kargil.

The Ishapore sniper costs Rs. 2.5 lakh plus tax, has a caliber of 7.62 mm, weighs 6.7 kg and can kill at 800 metres. H&N rifles, three times the price, have a longer range but weigh 7.2 kg, a half-kilo difference in weight that could be critical in a crisis.

"You won't see the sniper rifle out on the streets. If you can spot one, we have not done our job," said Kolkata Police Commission Rajeev Kumar, present at the launch of the sniper and planning to test them out and raise a commando force that will use these machines.

"These rifles are a must for urban police, for VIP protection, hostage situations and terror attacks." he added. The rifles don't have night vision but have telescopic sight, a must for surveillance.

Ratneswar Varma, general manager of the 230 year old Rifle Factory, said, "There is an increasing need for sniper rifles in security forces which prompted us to manufacture this indigenous rifle here. We have already got orders from Haryana Police, Rajasthan Police and CRPF."

The research and development for the sniper was done at Ishapore itself for over a year or so. According to an Ishapore official, it even won a gold medal in a shooting competition. The biggest advantage of an indigenous sniper: you will never run short of ammunition and spares.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: IOF launches sniper rifle based on IOF .30-06

Post by sa_ali » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:42 pm

Yea, they have worked on a stock lil bit, Picked old stock design from 90 competition grade and put it here.they have sights even its a sniper rifle:)

They took 1 yr to develop it, what a joke

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:57 pm

This design very similar to the old model of the Sig Sauer SSG3000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIG_Sauer_SSG_3000
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:49 pm

One of the greatest and healing news comes here :
http://www.firstpost.com/india/defence- ... 95319.html

Fire them all . Shameless fat sarkari babu parasites
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

krishan.adhikari1
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by krishan.adhikari1 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 pm

How good is the performance of the rifle? I am not sure there will be any reviews posted for the rifle

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:22 pm

This crap has been there on their website since quite sometime... I don't know why they're howling about it now when the army is looking for 338 LM weapons...

mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by mundaire » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:27 pm

krishan.adhikari1 wrote:How good is the performance of the rifle? I am not sure there will be any reviews posted for the rifle

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk
The IOF .30-06 is an accurate rifle (which is what really matters). I have seen it outshoot Winchesters & other big name imported rifles, right out of the box!

Whether this one will suffice for a sniper role or not really depends on the distances at which the armed forces expect to engage the enemy and the quality of optics they are using.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Its like a chicken plucking its own feathers. Ha..Ha..Ha... A donkey though adorned with a finest saddle cant run like a horse,can it????

Marksman

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 pm

mundaire wrote: The IOF .30-06 is an accurate rifle (which is what really matters). I have seen it outshoot Winchesters & other big name imported rifles, right out of the box!

Whether this one will suffice for a sniper role or not really depends on the distances at which the armed forces expect to engage the enemy and the quality of optics they are using.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
AFAIK the army is currently looking for 338LM snipers.. They need the cartridge to penetrate BPJs at long ranges. The 308 just doesn't carry enough energy at longer ranges.. Another issue is the windage - 338 is much less affected by the wind than 308, so you can significantly improve the chances of first round hits at the distances they typically shoot across...

TariqThePathan
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by TariqThePathan » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:06 pm

The price is way too high!!! Have a regular IOF .30-06. The fun in shooting it fantastic. However,I always felt that the price of the regular one( costed me about 1.1 lak) when I bought it was too high. The damn thing has a paint job a that too. But it's the best in the Indian market and shoots straight too.

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:03 pm

I believe the NSG has adopted the Barret 98B in .338LM

A 7.62x51 could be a good round for Police & Paramilitary, but again its a question of distance as suggested by Mundaire. This was also evident during the Mumbai crisis, when the NSG PSG-1, were proving to be ineffective against the attackers, and were not even able to break the glass windows of Taj.

I think moving to Polymer Stock, and providing decent optics and most importantly training to state police on Sniping & its benefits, will go a long way.

Would love to know more about this weapon system.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:38 pm

The special forces have a lot of equipment which the regulars haven't even heard of.. Forget the PMFs and state police forces, unfortunately... During 9/11, it would have taken a single shot from a 303 to take out one guy, had the police guys been proficient at the use of their firearms...

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:24 pm

You know I always wonder, why cant they arm the Local Arms division of the Police with 1A1 SLR's, if cost is such a big issue.

It is locally made, it is proven! Yet we continue to arm them with 303! Why!!

A well placed shot, would be have been a greater possibility with the SLR! Maybe a few extra Mags!!

Anyway going OT.

Hopefully the Police & PMF will get some training and adopt this system. For the regulars, only god knows.

Does anyone know if Punj Llyod & IWI JV is active? If they are making the Galil Sniper Rifle that could be a great addition to LE & PMF's

russianshooter
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by russianshooter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 am

May buy in Russia normal gun
http://www.orsis.com/production/item/31

Added in 14 minutes 54 seconds:
may kill 800 m cool)
all modern sniper rifle may kill 1.5 -2.5 km

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:11 am

WOW !! I'm impressed with there idea,but I'm very happy with my Savage 110 BA in 300 WM.

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearms/s ... 0-win-mag/

Baljit