One of Us (Nirvana)

Indigenously built assault rifle set for Mhow test

Post by pistolero » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

Just read this news online:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/indi ... 227184.cms

Indigenously built assault rifle set for Mhow test
Chethan Kumar | TNN | Jun 20, 2017, 05.45 AM IST
ICHHAPORE (West Bengal): The indigenously developed 7.62mm x 51mm assault rifle has met the expectations of the project management team, comprising representatives from the Indian Army and defence agencies, in round one of its trials.

The team found the rifle satisfactory on all aspects, barring one adjustment that it has sought before the next round of trials. P K Agarwal, additional general manager of Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI), confirmed that the trial was complete.

The RFI team is gearing up to make the adjustment before offering the rifle for the next round of trials at the Infantry School, Mhow (MP), which is the testing agency of the Indian Army.

Does anyone have any more information on this?
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Indigenously built assault rifle set for Mhow test

Post by mundaire » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:53 pm

First I heard of it. They switched from the (excellent) 7.62x51 SLR to 5.56 INSAS, now back to 7.62x51 again? Wonder what the reasoning is this time.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

pistolero
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by pistolero » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:03 pm

I guess realization has dawned
"Whatever is begun in anger ends in shame."

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 am

Hmmm, I wonder what this rifle will look like?
The SLR was indigenously developed (copied anyway) as well and it did work well.

An "assault rifle" technically has selectable full auto capability.
However, as many adopters of (full auto) FAL's and M14's found out, a rifle chambered in that caliber is pretty much uncontrollable in full auto.
It will be interesting to see the specifications of this rifle.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Vassili Zaitsev
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Vassili Zaitsev » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:00 pm

I am not hijacking the thread but just saw this news in msn. Probably they are different..For Second Year In A Row, Assault Rifles Made In India Rejected By Army

http://a.msn.com/r/2/BBCZA7x?a=1&m=EN-IN
"Everything that has a beginning, has an end !!!"

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:00 pm

I believe that during the Falklands War, both the Brits and the Argentinians were using FALs (our beloved SLR..). The Argentinian FALs were full auto while the Brit ones were semi auto.. When the Brits fired some captured guns for the first time, they realized why exactly the Brits had opted for semi auto... The Pakis have their G3s which fire full auto but I'm not sure how controllable they are...

I can bet that somebody wants that 10% very very badly.. :| AFAIK its a bad decision and there are way better rounds to achieve similar capabilities without getting kicked in the shoulders...

winnie_the_pooh
Veteran
Veteran

Post by winnie_the_pooh » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 pm

I guess the Indian army has had enough of the IOFB quality. Small arms sold in the civilian market are made in the same factories where arms for the army are made. We all know how shoddy civilian arms are. It would be foolish to expect anything better when these factories make guns for the army. I would not shed a tear if the govt. disbands the IOFB and sells the hundreds of acres of prime land it holds.