Help choose a rifle please

Posts related to rifles.
advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Help choose a rifle please

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 am

Hello everyone
Have applied for additional weapon for rifle and got permission . Please can you guide which one to buy..
Thanks

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Help choose a rifle please

Post by mundaire » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:09 pm

In terms of cost/ availability of ammunition and opportunities to shoot, a .22 LR rifle is the most practical. It is hard to find opportunities to shoot a centerfire rifle in India as there are few/ no ranges available to civilians which allow their use.
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 pm

advocate Sumit nain wrote:Hello everyone
Have applied for additional weapon for rifle and got permission . Please can you guide which one to buy..
Thanks
What is your intended purpose - do you want it for recreational/sport shooting or do you want it for security reasons?

If you are a hobby shooter then a modified IOF .22lr is your best bet (assuming your budget is within 50,000 INR). Else you may get second hand brunos or kricos for a higher price as well.

For security purposes IOF 315 and 30.06 will be your best bets. Mausers and other medium bore caliber rifles also exist in the Indian market - their prices can vary with your desperation and the slyness of the dealer... :D

By all means choose the weapon which is in good condition and whose ammunition you can source easily and affordably..

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Sir its for security purpose...

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:45 pm

Sumit Nain Sir:

I would like to add here that a rifle is effective for security only for the long range shots in an open setting - say shooting at 50 yards+ in an open area. Also, shooting somebody with a medium bore round would most likely attract a CrPC 302 & 304 among others.. Pls be careful of that! In sub 50 yard range, esp for home defense, a shotgun is more effective due to its effectiveness and ease of aiming. For personal defense a pistol is the best. But then I guess you must have those things figured out already.

315 is a very deadly round for anything living that it hits, as is the 30-06 -- 315 recoils more than the 30-06. The 7mm Mauser is a very flat shooting round with lesser recoil (easy to aim and shoot) and will generally punch deeper than the other two rounds discussed here - in all three cases you can expect to hit, completely penetrate and eliminate a target hiding behind a 4" brick wall at 100m.. Take your pick!

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks sir

Added in 1 hour 17 minutes 1 second:
Sir
How about 256 bore rifle. Dont have much knowledge regarding rifle

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:43 pm

advocate Sumit nain wrote: How about 256 bore rifle. Dont have much knowledge regarding rifle
Sumit Nain Sir:

Are you talking about the 6.5x57 Mauser cartridge? Rest of my answer is with that assumption.

I am not sure about the availability of this cartridge, pls do confirm.. Its easy to aim and shoot but if you don't find the cartridge for it, you're going to go back to the same dealer and sell it back to him for a pittance later on! Better stick with rifles in the caliber for which you can get the cartridges easily. I would pick the 7x57 Mauser as it is easier to get in India.

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Sir this is the rifle which my uncle have and i m planning to buy... M posting the pic please take a look and guide me
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nitroex700
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nitroex700 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:22 pm

That looks like a 6.5x54 to me though I am not 100%a sure..

Pls check about the availability of its cartridges though. If you are able to get its cartridges at reasonable rates from any nearby dealer then you may go ahead with your purchase depending on its condition... From what I understand the round is obsolete and hard to find...

Pls buy this rifle ONLY if you can find a reliable source for its cartridges. Else you might end up struggling later on.
Pls also get checked the condition of its bore with any experienced firearms person in your area, these old guns can sometimes have extremely worn out bores...

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm

You are actually buying the rifle more out of love than 'self defence' .
Its 6,5x54 then it will be shaving rotary magazine . The cartridge you have show is almost certainly 6,5x54 . Its basically a hunting cartridge .
Also , see if the rifle is .357 NE then you have hit a jackpot worth thousands of dollars . Good luck .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .

advocate Sumit nain
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by advocate Sumit nain » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes sir i do lov rifle. But now have lil concern bout security. So thought of keeeping one... Woods can u suggest one

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Sumit,

A .22LR rifle is a fantastic tool. If one wants a centrefire rifle, the IOF .30-06 is a very good option.

The rifle you posted is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1903, probably take-down model. Looks to be in lovely condition.The action is famous for its smoothness and workmanship. Most likely a 6.5X54, it is a nice calibre but you will have to find out of ammunition is available. Even if it is, not going to be cheap.

Is it possible for you to post more photos?

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Woods
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Woods » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:51 pm

Facts are -- you have one weapon already on your licence . From the entire conversation it appears its a handgun .
You have obtained permission for one more weapon and that's for rifle . However rifle is primarily a weapon of "offensive" scenario than of defensive . But , on another hand the rifle of your uncle is a lovely nice one . Availability of cartridges for this rifle can be explained by uncle and his arms dealer .
When you have to purchase rifle compulsarily and going to use sparingly then why not grab this rifle . Needful cartridges of any calibre can be sourced "somehow" .
Great men are not born great , they grow great .