256 Winchester Magnum Rifle

Posts related to rifles.
mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

256 Winchester Magnum Rifle

Post by mashh1 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:43 pm

A gun dealer in our area have a Universal Firearms ferret rifle in 256 Win mag for sale, which is a M1 30 carbine copy with 10 round magazine. it is not a common rifle & calibre on our side, and no information available on net also. ammo is available with some dealers but i have read on net that winchester stop making ammunation, so it is also a factor to consider before making a decesion. any opinion on this calibre and rifle,
regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
thirtyzerosix
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by thirtyzerosix » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:48 pm

brother can u plz let me know if he has .30 06 rifles.

Many thanks

M.Singh

Edit: Please do not give your details or email ids,phone numbers on public forums for your safety.Give them through PMs.

Risala
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: 256 Winchester Magnum Rifle

Post by Risala » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:54 pm

What difference would it make even if he did have,you wouldnt be able to lay your hands on it in any

case :wink:

Sanjay

Grumpy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by Grumpy » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:25 am

Mashh1, The .256 Win mag is a bit of a weird beast. It was introduced as a pistol calibre in 1962 as the result of a collaboration between Winchester - who made the ammo - and Ruger who built a very peculiar single shot pistol for it based on a revolver frame ! The pistol had a very short life and Winchester - the only maker of .256 WM ammunition - deleted the calibre from its list back in 1990. Muzzle Energy was something like 1,050 ft lbs from the long pistol barrel.
Basically ammunition is not available anywhere- and neither is brass. If you wanted to hand load you would have to form your own cases. I have an idea - which might, or might not be true - that cases can be formed through laborious process from .357 mag cases.......but don`t quote me !
The Universal Firearms Ferret is a gun that is very rarely seen. I`ve heard of it but have never seen one and I haven`t seen a picture even in those books that mention it. Very collectible apparently...........although you have to remember that for collecting purposes, condition is everything. A poor condition example - with just a few exceptions - is usually worth very little. Refurbished collectors pieces might be worth more than a gun in poor condition but nothing like as much as a gun in ORIGINAL good condition.
I`ve just discovered that Chuck Hawks has a short article available on the .256 Win mag.........Seems I wasn`t too far out in what I said.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/256Win.htm

Sizing dies are available as well......but you need three of them.

mashh1
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by mashh1 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:22 am

sanjay i can buy it if i am willing to pay the demanded quids which i actually dont want to do at the moment.

thank you Grumpy once again for a very detailed analysis, i think that single shot ruger is called Hawks eye, which is a cash intensive collecter item in states, i saw one on Gunbroker for nearly $2k. the problem with this rifle will be as reloding equipment is not available here, so i cannot consider of this option. i think i will have to hang it on the wall. it can be rebarreled to 357 mag after the approval but that would be a bubba's job

collecter value is of no use here and i dont think it can be exported to some place on earth where it have more value,
thanks & regards

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:39 pm

Yes, the .256 is a necked down .357 Magnum revolver case, and cases can be formed from that case.