Rifle 450

Posts related to rifles.
indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Rifle 450

Post by indiaone » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Dear Friends,
Is it possible to get cartridges for 450 Rifle. It has been received in inheritance by a friend of mine and he wanted to know the position regarding the cartridge. In case the same is no longer available, I would advice him to avoid the hassle of transferring the firearm in his name, but it can be deposited in the Government Malkhana for destruction.An early reply will be appreciated.

For Advertising mail webmaster
sa_ali
Shooting true
Shooting true

Re: Rifle 450

Post by sa_ali » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:55 pm

I have not heard of that ammo in recent past, may be you can try calling few dealers in kanpur, i guss that will be your best shot. They are many listed in in the yellow pages here

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:01 pm

It appears your friend has following options, he may decide which one to choose -

1. find from gun dealers if these cartridges are available or if they can make them available on demand

2. reload cartridges himself or get them reloaded from gun dealers

3. deposit and/ or sell the gun to any gun dealer at prevailing market price or deposit the gun in the government malkhana.

Anyways 450 rifle appears of interesting caliber, if you could share some more details.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 pm

There are quite a few .450 calibre cartridges. You may have to find out which specific cartridge is this one. Some are obsolete, BTW.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

indiaone
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by indiaone » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:42 pm

It was used for big game hunting and the .450 Nitro Express was the original cartridge used in this rifle.In early 1900 it was imported from England for big game hunting like killing of elephants , lions and tigers.No point in retaining it so I have advised my friend to deposit it in the malkhana . These type of arms are of historic value but in India we have no separate type of licence is available for retaining such unservicable firearms.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:16 pm

indiaone wrote:These type of arms are of historic value but in India we have no separate type of licence is available for retaining such unservicable firearms.
If the gun is not less than one hundred years old, going by Section 45(c) of Arms Act 1959 it does not legally need a license and instead can be registered as is as an antiquity under Antiquities and Art Treasures Act 1972.
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992