M1 Garand .30 PB or NPB

Posts related to rifles.
Prasad33
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

M1 Garand .30 PB or NPB

Post by Prasad33 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Good Afternoon Esteemed Members.

I want to request if someone can throw some light on .30 M1 Garand rifle. Does it fall in the NP category? I want get one for myself,what are liscencing procedures involved in it. Are there any likely problems that I might face ? Regards

For Advertising mail webmaster
mundaire
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: M1 Garand .30 PB or NPB

Post by mundaire » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:22 pm

In it's standard form the M1 Garand .30-06 is a semi-auto, therefore it falls under the list of restricted arms (also colloquially termed prohibited bore/ PB), licenses for which can only be issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India.

However, there are also M1 Garand rifles available, whose semi-auto system has been disabled, thus making them "straight-pull" bolt action repeaters. These would fall under the category of permissible arms (also colloquially termed non-prohibited bore/ NPB), licenses for which can be issued by the local licensing authority.

Cheers!
Abhijeet
Like & share IndiansForGuns Facebook Page
Follow IndiansForGuns on Twitter

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS - JOIN NAGRI NOW!

www.gunowners.in

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." -- Robert Heinlein

ekalavya
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by ekalavya » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:19 am

Nice Weapon, Very Heavy,Easy to Dismantle and Fit Up,used one in the early 90's.Built to last,Originally was a Sniper Rifle used during world war II. (y)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:37 am

Not a sniper rifle during WW II. The US sniper rifle of WW II was the Springfield. Scoped Garands were not used until the Korean War. Though with a 2 1/2 power scope it was more of a designated marksman's rifle.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:21 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Not a sniper rifle during WW II. The US sniper rifle of WW II was the Springfield. Scoped Garands were not used until the Korean War. Though with a 2 1/2 power scope it was more of a designated marksman's rifle.
If you could please elaborate a little more why M1 Garand was used as a designated marksman's rifle and not as a sniper rifle like Springfield? Both the rifles use the same .30-06 cartridge. Is it that the bolt action rifles compared with self loading rifles are usually more accurate than the self loading rifles?
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

Prasad33
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Prasad33 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you all for your valuable contribution. I am nearing my issue date for NSP Weapon. Always wanted to have a Garand. Intend to modify it as per my taste, incl offset scope, synthetic olive green stock and bipods.

Prasad33
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Prasad33 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:27 pm

can some parts be imported for Garand rifle?

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:27 am

One can get single shot adaptor for the Garand for the ease of loading in competitions. One can also punch out the gas plug valve to convert the rifle permanently into a straight pull bolt action rifle. Any competent gunsmith With these alteration can make the Garand legal.
Marksman

Prasad33
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by Prasad33 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks you , Marksman, Eklavya and Abhijeet

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:58 am

goodboy_mentor wrote:If you could please elaborate a little more why M1 Garand was used as a designated marksman's rifle and not as a sniper rifle like Springfield? Both the rifles use the same .30-06 cartridge. Is it that the bolt action rifles compared with self loading rifles are usually more accurate than the self loading rifles?
The bolt action may have a slight advantage in accuracy over a self-loading rifle when properly set-up and bedded, but in battle-field usage there is not that much difference. Self-loading rifles with direct gas impingement or inertia-delayed systems have the same accuracy potential. However, what was considered a 'sniper" rifle during previous wars is now a designated marksman's rifle. The concept has changed. The sniper rifle now carries a scope of much higher power, is properly tuned, may even have a more powerful cartridge of different caliber, and is assisted in use by a rangefinder. It is no longer simply the common battle rifle selected for accuracy and fitted with a low power scope. That has become the designated marksman's rifle within each squad. Cheers.

goodboy_mentor
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by goodboy_mentor » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:01 pm

TwoRivers wrote:The bolt action may have a slight advantage in accuracy over a self-loading rifle when properly set-up and bedded, but in battle-field usage there is not that much difference. Self-loading rifles with direct gas impingement or inertia-delayed systems have the same accuracy potential. However, what was considered a 'sniper" rifle during previous wars is now a designated marksman's rifle. The concept has changed. The sniper rifle now carries a scope of much higher power, is properly tuned, may even have a more powerful cartridge of different caliber, and is assisted in use by a rangefinder. It is no longer simply the common battle rifle selected for accuracy and fitted with a low power scope. That has become the designated marksman's rifle within each squad. Cheers.
Thank you for clarifying this matter!
"If my mother tongue is shaking the foundations of your State, it probably means that you built your State on my land" - Musa Anter, Kurdish writer, assassinated by the Turkish secret services in 1992

veeveeaar
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by veeveeaar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:19 am

Friends M 1 GARAND is not a PROHIBITED BORE OR A PROHIBITED WEAPON. I request forum members to educate themselves of relevant specifications of the INDIAN ARMS ACT AND RULES. If it is PB, then why is it being sold in public and that too by the govt from its depot ?. There are many many''' as is where is ''' ( in semi auto mode)M1in India .

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:05 pm

There is one important consideration before buying an M1 Garand. Unless charger clips are available, the rifle is a single shot. Period. Not even a manual straight-pull repeater. The Garand's magazine does not function without the charger clip.