Translation of label in Alex. Henry rifle case

Posts related to rifles.
dixon42
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Translation of label in Alex. Henry rifle case

Post by dixon42 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi,
I have bought a double hammerless 20/.577 black powder rifle by Alexander Henry, Edinburgh which was made in 1887 and ordered by Manton & Co. Calcutta. Inside the lid of the case there is the standard red leather Alex. Henry label, a paper Manton Calcutta label and then another label which has writing on it which I believe may be Urdu and hopefully identifies the original owner of the rifle. I wondered if any of the members could be kind enough to translate the owners label for me. I am excited what it may say as it hopefully will add to the history of the rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For Advertising mail webmaster
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Translation of label in Alex. Henry rifle case

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:29 am

Where is the rifle??

Atul

ragunnaath
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ragunnaath » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Oh yes.. eager to have a look at the rifle.. please post a pic! .. And Congrats!

dixon42
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dixon42 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Thanks for your interest. Here are a few views of the rifle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:20 am

Very nice, really love the carvings

Atul

ragunnaath
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by ragunnaath » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Its such a beautiful gun!! Congrats again.. really envy you owning it! :) As for the translation, I really wish I could help... but will try and get someone to help.. let me see.. will get back if I get more information.

anubhav_rulez
On the way to nirvana
On the way to nirvana

Post by anubhav_rulez » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:44 pm

First line says ".577 bore something black power Alexander Company, number 61.2 and rest is very tough urdu cant make out and in bottom left corner it says May 1918
Anubhav Bajpai
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's always better to have a gun & don't need it...Than need a gun & not having it !!!

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:54 am

Woooo...sweet gun dixon42!

The numbers in Urdu are the easy part read from left to right...here is how you can do it yourself:

Arabic / Urdu Numerals.

I am sure someone on this forum with knowledge written of Urdu/Arabic will post soon. My recollections of my days of learning Urdu/Arabic are very distant and faint. :| :|
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

dixon42
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dixon42 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for all your interest and help so far. I am glad you like the rifle - t is one of my favourites. I was hoping that there would be something amongst the writing which would give us some idea of who was the original owner. Maybe there is still some of the writing yet to be translated which may provide a clue. I am grateful for any information anyone can contribute.

Mack The Knife
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Mack The Knife » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I expect to receive a translation of the script some time tomorrow.

tamancha
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tamancha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:49 am

Dear Dixon42,continuing anubhav,as i am well versed in urdu but its difficult to read the cursive that is the shikasta style of old calligraphy.As far as i could read the script...its reads two names बकस पूरमी.गोरख पूरबी.. बडा़ बरमी .डबी or डबल कलमीदार मारतूल. Some make of कारतूस Next is the dates etc. I shall try in free time to read the full script clearly.
Regards.

dixon42
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dixon42 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:42 pm

Thanks very much tamancha. I am very grateful for any help and am excited about what it could say.

tamancha
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by tamancha » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

dixon42 wrote:Thanks very much tamancha. I am very grateful for any help and am excited about what it could say.
dixon42 wrote:Thanks very much tamancha. I am very grateful for any help and am excited about what it could say.
Dear Dixon42,
Now I have gone through the full script unfortunately there is no trace of the owner's name.Actually the Urdu label is a specifications leaflet of the arm.Moreover, it has the information for the buyer.As the Urdu is used to write from right to left therefore I am writing the script from left to right in Hindi,later on the English version is added for the interpretation..577 बोर अकरब ब्लैक पाउडर साख्त अलैकजैडंर कम्पनी नम्बर 6102 , बक्स चरमी, हौदा चरमी, डबी कलमीदार, मारतूल,
साचे गोली डालने का, चिमटी गोली निकालने का.
डबी आज माह ईस्टर बगिरह,-
मई 1918
.577 bore black powder solid Alexander company no.6102, with storage box,compatible for Houda shooting for big games,double barrels, chocked or tapered, mouldes for bullets, extractors for empty shell withdrawal. Today is the day of Easter month for the remembrance. In the last line beneath its reads May 1918.
No owners name. There is the weapon no.on ist line of sentence.
Regards.

dixon42
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by dixon42 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:51 pm

Dear Tamancha thanks very much for all your help. The label is still part of the rifle's history even though it doesn't bring us any closer to the original owners identity and at least I now know what it says.
Kind Regards,
Dixon42.