Interesting Rifle for Right handed Left eye dominant

Posts related to rifles.
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Interesting Rifle for Right handed Left eye dominant

Post by archer » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 pm

One of the most interesting guns I have seen: a left eye dominant right hand shooter custom. Made by master Flerin Robert from Kamnik, Slovenia, a custom stock maker for over 25 years. He uses Slovenian walnut almost exclusively.

Source:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Re: Interesting Rifle for Right handed Left eye dominant

Post by Vikram » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:05 am

I saw that today. Interesting concept, isn't it? I am not an expert but I do not know how this will work with a rifle. As one of the posters mentioned, one could simply close the left eye as a solution. With a shotgun, your eye is your rear sight and you shoot with your both eyes open;hence eye dominance could be an issue. There are those who advocate shooting with both eyes open with rifle too, but I never did and do not do badly at all. Also, with small/medium calibres the stock might work but with heavy recoiling cartridges, I do not know how it will hold up and how recoil is transferred. Will be interesting to see the real experts' replies.

Thank you for posting it here.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:13 am

It would seem that heavy recoil could be an issue, I agree, forcing the rifle to swing to the left when shooting, and maybe even giving the shooter a severe knock on the cheek, as well.

As far as eye dominance, I wonder whether this could be something that varies from individual to individual. It could be that some folks have a more marked dominance than the other.

Back in my 20s, I read somewhere that having both eyes open was an advantage because of increased field of vision, so I taught myself to shoot this way. It took some practice, but I was shooting a lot in those days, and after a while, it became easier and more natural. These days, I do shoot everything that way. Whether it really does any good, I can't say, but I do suspect that this could have some dependence on the individual, as well.

It is a lovely piece of wood, however!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:16 am

I suppose that considering the recoil, it would have been a better to have a left hand firing gun for all practical purposes, except maybe for showing it as a piece of innovation and art.

Atul

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Not much innovation, stocks like that have been made for a long time. Biggest problem is finding a piece of wood with proper grain structure. With a smaller caliber cartridge, recoil won't be a problem (for most shooters).

Not everyone can close either eye independently of the other; I for one can only close my left eye, but not the right, without closing the other. If I were right-handed, left eye dominant, I'd probably go with an eye patch while shooting. But to each his own.

Commonwealth_of_PA
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by Commonwealth_of_PA » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:51 am

I guess you can get a more interesting scope kiss :)

Probably vertical instead of sideways. And probably more often!