The Remington Model 700 bolt action rifle

Posts related to rifles.
timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: The Remington Model 700 bolt action rifle

Post by timmy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:19 am

XL: I think your 223 setup for coyotes would be a dandy rifle for the purpose. It has been years, but it used to be that one could get a fair price for a good pelt, maybe $75 to $100. Maybe the fashions have changed. Anyway, I used to have an '03 Springfield target rifle and loaned it to a friend who was out of work, and he paid for his groceries one winter with that rifle and a tape recorder with a "wounded rabbit" tape. He used .30-'06 ball, which limited the pelt damage to just a little hole -- the prices for damaged pelts were considerably lower. I don't know if this is still the case.

Anyhow, FMJ 223 would make an even better option for a fur hunter, I would think.

On another note, my younger son-in-law down in Texas, the one who is a mighty hog hunter with the Savage in 308, goes night hunting almost exclusively. He tells me he bought this ATN scope:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/ ... t104463180

and that it works well for hogs. I've seen varying reviews online about this scope, but could such a solution be a way to go for coyotes as well?
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:27 am

Tim, that ATN scope would be great but:
ARTIFICIAL LIGHTS
With a Firearm or Bow
A person may not cast the rays of a spotlight, headlight or other artificial
light onto a highway or into a field, woodland, or forest to spot, locate or
take a wild animal while possessing either individually or as one of a group, a
firearm, bow or other implement that could be used to take big game, small
game or unprotected species.
NIGHT VISION EQUIPMENT
A person may not possess any kind of night vision or thermal imaging
equipment while taking wild animals or while possessing a firearm, bow, or
other implement that could be used to take wild animals.
quotes from HERE

Pelts are not worth much at present.
There is a lot of mange in this area and those pelts are worthless.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:39 am

Well, that ended that!

At least you have the right gun for the job! :-)

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:56 am

timmy wrote:Well, that ended that!
Yes, unfortunately.

I was excited.... now I have an excuse to buy Night Vision equipment.
Then I checked the game regs and ......pssssst! ...punctured my balloon.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:48 am

I guess I wasn't too helpful. :-(

New Mexico doesn't even let you hunt at night, period, even though hog hunting doesn't require a license for resident or non-resident hunters. I've been dragging my feet on one of these things, too.

Harry S. Truman

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:38 am

Congratulations on your lovely rifle and scope xl_target! :D

Looks like your hands have been pretty effectively tied with the existing laws :(

In the scope video I noticed that the the plastic CDS dust caps are not anchored (like a camera's lens cover)! Chances of losing them in the field maybe high.
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:46 am

The previous scope video had a similar scope but he did not have a CDS turret. He just had regular turrets with caps. The caps are metal.

The CDS turrets are metal also and are held on with three set screws. Loosening the three set screws will allow you to change the turret out for another one.
It is always exposed, like target turrets. There is no cover for it, so you can manipulate it in the field.
It only adjusts elevation. If you want to adjust windage, you have to take off your windage turret cover (also a metal cap) and make your adjustments. Or you could use the hash marks on your scope reticle.

To create a custom CDS turret, you have to provide Leupold with the information on your load; Caliber, bullet weight, powder charge, muzzle velocity, altitude and temperature and they will laser-etch a new metal turret for you.

This video might help explain thing a little bit.
[youtube][/youtube]

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Some of the features of the rifle:

Lightweight, synthetic stock. Harris bipod.

Jewelled bolt body.
The port on the right side of the image is a gas vent port, to release pressure if the cartridge case ruptures.

One issue is the infamous "J-Lock". This has been discontinued for several years now.
You need a special J shaped key to unlock the bolt. It is currently in the unlocked position. If it gets locked, I'm screwed.
I dont have the key. I'm sure Remington will send me one if I ask but I don't want a dang lock on any of my guns.
I think I will replace it with an aftermarket “speedlock” type of firing pin assembly.

The Scope:

Leupold mounts and rings.
The front ring twists in and the rear has windage adjustment.

quick eyepiece adjustment
30 mm body

The little gold button is the light switch.
Pushing it in, increases the intensity. Once it reaches the brightest intensity, it will flash five times.
Pushing it again, now reduces the intensity. When it reaches the lowest intensity, it will flash five times.
It also has a motion sensor. If not moved for five minutes, the "firedot" shuts off. When the rifle is moved, it comes back on again.