Rifle Caliber question

Posts related to rifles.
archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Rifle Caliber question

Post by archer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:26 am

I am looking at buying a new rifle for target shooting with the objective to eventually bring it back on TR. I am a member at MRA (mumbai) and would have access to 22LR ammo.
I had purchased a 1911 Sig in 22LR earlier this year, but I am looking at a few other options ...

My current caliber/rifle options are
1) 22LR
CZ455
http://www.turners.com/cz-usa/cz-usa-45 ... arrel-2919
2) 300 WIn Mag
SAKO 85
http://www.turners.com/sako/sako-85-cla ... rel-262993
3) 270 Win Mag
Remington 700
http://www.turners.com/remington/reming ... arrel-9195
4) 30-06 Springfield
Remington 700
SAKO 85
http://www.turners.com/remington/reming ... arrel-9196
http://www.turners.com/sako/sako-85-bav ... rel-237412

Any other recommendations ??

Thanks
Yeh dil maange more.....!!!

For Advertising mail webmaster
xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: Rifle Caliber question

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 am

The only two calibers that I would recommend would be the .22 LR and the .30-06.

Please note that these are my personal choices and should not serve to influence anyone else's choice.
For the .22, I would prefer the CZ 452 Ultralux or the CZ455 Varmint over the standard 455.
The Remington 700 is a fine rifle but since the company got bought out, there have been many, many complaints about quality.
An older Remington 700 would be preferable to today's product. They can be hit or miss apparently.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Thanks XL.

Hammerhead
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Hammerhead » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:04 pm

4) 30-06 Springfield
Remington 700
If you can manage to take it. I would prefer 270 win but not sure you
can scrooge ammo back home.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:10 am

If it is for target practice,would it be for competing or just plinking?
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 am

Get maybe a blaser r93 in .22lr and .308
To Excellence through Diligence.

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:22 am

archer: I'd like to answer your question, but maybe my comments wouldn't be welcomed.

First of all, other than the .22, none of the cartridges you have listed are what might be the first choice for a target rifle. I could understand playing with a .300 Win Mag, and .30-06 was a target round years back, but .270 (as much as I love mine) is not a target round.

Second, none of the rifles you have shown are target rifles. Do you expect to engage in competitive shooting when you get back to India? Some of our members could advise you on what people are shooting with regard to rifle and cartridge, depending on the sort of competition that interests you.

So here, I am agreeing with Vikram's post.

Now, if you have listed these rifles because you like them, fine -- that's reason enough to get one. Get the one you want. If you want a certain cartridge because you like it, that is a valid reason, as well -- again, get what you want. Simply having something to plink with is fine. I love one of my rifles for no reason that anyone else would understand, and it has spent a lot of time on my lap while I watch boxing or war movies on TV. I like to hold it. Then again, I like holding certain car parts and usually have some sort of bauble by my phone at work that I like to hold and play with. Currently, that item is a 7/16 m to N f RF connector. Yes, my coworker thinks I'm a kook, too. But my point is that I very much understand having something just because you want it, and guns are a great item that fit in that category for me.

Now, if you are going to shoot what you bring back at all, then you need to consider getting ammunition for it at a somewhat reasonable price. Here, I'm agreeing with XL. A .22 or .30-06 is a good bet when it comes to getting ammunition.

On the other hand, if you just want to discuss guns and cartridges, we can do that, too!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

archer
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by archer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 am

Thank you for your inputs gentlemen.

Vikram, I would like to compete in 50m competitions.
Timmy, I think I will stick to the 22LR, may be the CZ455 varmint edition.

I will keep you all posted on what I eventually get.

Thanks
Parag

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:30 pm

archer wrote:Vikram, I would like to compete in 50m competitions.
Timmy, I think I will stick to the 22LR, may be the CZ455 varmint edition.
The best tool for that would be this

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1

http://jga.anschuetz-sport.com/index.ph ... &sprache=1

Expensive,relatively speaking.But, if you can afford it, why go for less?Get this and you will not look back.You can get CZs dime a dozen even in India. IMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:16 am

Vikram, those are the tools for the job!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:04 am

If you don't want to spend the huge amount of money that the Anschutz competition rifles command, there is another option.
There is a company in the USA that imports sporterized Russian (Izhmash) biathlon rifles. The Izhmash Bi-7-2KO toggle action rifle that they list is a fine rifle capable of very good accuracy.
See here: http://www.rwcgroupllc.com/firearms

Izhmash BI-7-2KO

Izhmash 55 sable

You're still looking at the better part of a grand though, for a decent rifle to compete with.
It all depends on how serious you are.

The Russian CM2 rifles are also very nice and half the price of the above.
http://www.mtguns.com/cm-2.htm
http://www.onpointsupply.com/cart.php?t ... t_id=72809
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Nice suggestions Vikram, xl_target! :D

There you go archer! Decisions, decisions...but if it a one time, bring the best you can - $ not of consequence (gun and ammo) then you have a huge choice - :)

The value for money ammunition availability in India would definitely be a No. 1 consideration
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

cdexter
Fresh on the boat
Fresh on the boat

Post by cdexter » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:17 am

Hello,

Just noticed that your choice of calibre is very wide. I mean the size and range capabilities from 22lr to 300 win is very huge.
If 50m is your target range then all you really need is a 22lr. No or minimum recoil and with the CZ's you can get a very tight group at 50m. Besides 22lr ammo is cheap as.
I use a basic ruger 10/22 (with a scope) and manage to get a tight group of 2cm at 50 m. Not sure if this is good enough for target shooting but for me its a bunny at that distance. I use cci subsonics as I have a supressor fitted and I shoot on a horse farm, so don't want to scare the animals there.
Also consider 22 magnum if you would like the shots to be flat. CZ452 is a 22 magnum.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:28 am

cdexter wrote:Hello,

Just noticed that your choice of calibre is very wide. I mean the size and range capabilities from 22lr to 300 win is very huge.
If 50m is your target range then all you really need is a 22lr. No or minimum recoil and with the CZ's you can get a very tight group at 50m. Besides 22lr ammo is cheap as.
I use a basic ruger 10/22 (with a scope) and manage to get a tight group of 2cm at 50 m. Not sure if this is good enough for target shooting but for me its a bunny at that distance. I use cci subsonics as I have a supressor fitted and I shoot on a horse farm, so don't want to scare the animals there.
Also consider 22 magnum if you would like the shots to be flat. CZ452 is a 22 magnum.
The problem is the availability of ammo in india.
He can only bring a limited amount of ammo back with him.
So he is going to have to choose a rifle that uses ammo that is readily available in India.
22 Magnum availability is going to be spotty. .22LR is what is more readily available.