3006 FNBrowning or Mauser or IOF

Posts related to rifles.
chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

3006 FNBrowning or Mauser or IOF

Post by chengis gun » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:33 pm

Friends and aficionados, i am really stuck between choosing a 3006 Mauser(said to be model-60) , FNBrowning with BOSS( i think 1950 vintage) and an IOF(new).Somebody is searching on my behalf and i am sending the photos..the one above (long view) and right(close view) is the Mauser.My main purpose is long distance target shooting and expect some accuracy.I come from a gun owning family and respect quality therein.While the IOF is much cheaper, new and accurate i suspect it wont last long and i want my gun for keeps(Indian scenario).The other two are 60-70 years old but have good pedigrees, much costlier, and likely built to last. What would members suggest( i know to each his own nevertheless even a casual observation by gungurus will go a long way).If the accuracy of the older guns be equal to the IOF i wont mind paying higher. http://s62.photobucket.com/user/yomjak/ ... 5.jpg.html http://s62.photobucket.com/user/yomjak/ ... e.jpg.html

For Advertising mail webmaster
TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 3006 FNBrowning or Mauser or IOF

Post by TwoRivers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:45 pm

There is no such rifle as a Model 60 Mauser. The top rifle in the picture seems to be built on a K98 action. The white stock spacer would indicate post-WWII production, probably 1960s. The lower rifle is an FN, also post-WWII.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:01 am

TwoRivers wrote:There is no such rifle as a Model 60 Mauser. The top rifle in the picture seems to be built on a K98 action. The white stock spacer would indicate post-WWII production, probably 1960s. The lower rifle is an FN, also post-WWII.
Thanks for the info.

which one of the two, Browning and Mauser would you recommend provided bot are about the same vintage/condition?

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:28 am

I really like the FN-Browning built sporting rifles on commercial actions. They came in various grades.Check the attachment. I would really like to see better photos of what you have on offer.

As TwoRivers wrote, there is no Mauser model-60.There is a M-66 but the one you have in the photos is built on a K98 action as TwoRivers said.

Re your requirements about using it as a target rifle, I would think may be you are better off with the IOF.From all I read and heard, it is not a bad rifle at all.

These are just my opinions.

Best-
Vikram
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:34 am

Since the provenance of the non-FN is unknown, I'd opt for the FN. They could be equal in every respect, but not knowing the year of manufacture of the K-98, the FN is the safe bet.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:24 pm

TwoRivers wrote:Since the provenance of the non-FN is unknown, I'd opt for the FN. They could be equal in every respect, but not knowing the year of manufacture of the K-98, the FN is the safe bet.
Thank you Two Rivers and Vikram. Both of you are obviously gunwise in a practical sense.Since my 'agent' was also claiming the FN was in the best condition of the lot (on offer were 3006 in Mauser, Remington-30 Exp, FN, IOF and BSA-military & sporting editions)i have decided on the FN and have paid for it just now..i will post the pics when i receive it.My hesitation on 'old' foreign guns was overcome when today i went to my relative who had a BRNO 1 .22lr made in 1945 which shoot as accurately as a new IOF .22 but with much smoother handling and ruggedness; hope i am not mistaken :)

marksman
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by marksman » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Changis gun,
I have the rifle in the lower pic in caliber 30-06 for last 37 yrs. and I've had no reason to complain yet. The bore and action was prestine when bought in 1977 and still is. It has "F.N. Belgique arm de guerre" written on the left side of the receiver and originally had the whole bolt in white. I guess it's a European model with barrel mounted front swivel Which anyways I prefer. I have nothing but great respect for these rifles. If taken care of, it will last you a couple of generations.
Marksman
Btw, it wasn't exactly bought then for target shooting.

Vikram
We post a lot
We post a lot

Post by Vikram » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:16 pm

chengis gun wrote:Since my 'agent' was also claiming the FN was in the best condition of the lot (on offer were 3006 in Mauser, Remington-30 Exp, FN, IOF and BSA-military & sporting editions)i have decided on the FN and have paid for it just now.
Chengis,

I would be very leery of buying a gun unseen in the Indian context. There are just so many ways guns can be b$%%~&"+ up. It is always better to ensure that the metal and wood are in good condition.Very good condition and NIB are very loosely used. If possible, check the bore, rifling,wood, etc., for pitting, rusting,cracks, welding,etc. Stocks are often soaked in too much oil which really damages the wood.At least have an agreement that if you are not satisfied with the rifle, you can return it.Better to be safe than sorry. JMHO.

Best-
Vikram
It ain’t over ’til it’s over! "Rocky,Rocky,Rocky....."

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:37 pm

You want to use a .30-06 for target practise?
To Excellence through Diligence.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:14 pm

marksman wrote:Changis gun,
I have the rifle in the lower pic in caliber 30-06 for last 37 yrs. and I've had no reason to complain yet. The bore and action was prestine when bought in 1977 and still is. It has "F.N. Belgique arm de guerre" written on the left side of the receiver and originally had the whole bolt in white. I guess it's a European model with barrel mounted front swivel Which anyways I prefer. I have nothing but great respect for these rifles. If taken care of, it will last you a couple of generations.
Marksman
Btw, it wasn't exactly bought then for target shooting.
wow Marksman..thats really encouraging .Hope the previous owner of 'my' rifle was as caring of his gun(s)

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:22 pm

Vikram wrote:
chengis gun wrote:Since my 'agent' was also claiming the FN was in the best condition of the lot (on offer were 3006 in Mauser, Remington-30 Exp, FN, IOF and BSA-military & sporting editions)i have decided on the FN and have paid for it just now.
Chengis,

I would be very leery of buying a gun unseen in the Indian context. There are just so many ways guns can be b$%%~&"+ up. It is always better to ensure that the metal and wood are in good condition.Very good condition and NIB are very loosely used. If possible, check the bore, rifling,wood, etc., for pitting, rusting,cracks, welding,etc. Stocks are often soaked in too much oil which really damages the wood.At least have an agreement that if you are not satisfied with the rifle, you can return it.Better to be safe than sorry. JMHO.

Best-
Vikram
@Vikram: i am in full agreement with you BUT..i am in a remote corner of the country with lots of illegal guns to choose from(trafficking) but very limited numbers of legal guns(in shops).So i had to agree to this guy scouting for me in his freetime more than a thousand miles away in Central India .Now my choice is committed and i can only hope for the best.The shop has given 'guarantee' for any defects( GHURTY was the word used lol) lets see..

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Safarigent wrote:You want to use a .30-06 for target practise?

depends on what you call a 'target' ..it can be legal varmints too right? :)

nbk3y7k
Almost at nirvana
Almost at nirvana

Post by nbk3y7k » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:54 am

I too bought a FN Browning 3006Rifle in Jan 2014. This is an awesome stuff with the name embossed as FAB NAT D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSATAL-BELGIQUE. This is with a chrome Vandaium Steel Barrel. One of the rareset of rare steel. I had an option for a Mausser 3006 and Remington 30express, while comparing the weight, look and the feel - FN is the best. I have fired 20 round at a stretch and have observed that the GUN is just like a new one .... only issue is that the Barrel gets heated up.

I have also heard that majority of the Mouser 3006 are with Duplicate Barrel and one of my friend has a bad time with one of his ingure blown up with a Barrel blowing issue with one of the Mouser 3006.

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Legal varmints? Yup, no one will guess what you are alluding to.
How accurate are these rifles?
Has the owner let you shoot them?
To Excellence through Diligence.

chengis gun
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by chengis gun » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:18 pm

nbk3y7k wrote:I too bought a FN Browning 3006Rifle in Jan 2014. This is an awesome stuff with the name embossed as FAB NAT D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSATAL-BELGIQUE. This is with a chrome Vandaium Steel Barrel. One of the rareset of rare steel. I had an option for a Mausser 3006 and Remington 30express, while comparing the weight, look and the feel - FN is the best. I have fired 20 round at a stretch and have observed that the GUN is just like a new one .... only issue is that the Barrel gets heated up.

I have also heard that majority of the Mouser 3006 are with Duplicate Barrel and one of my friend has a bad time with one of his ingure blown up with a Barrel blowing issue with one of the Mouser 3006.
wow..hope i am as fortunate :mrgreen: