12 gauge Double Rifle.

Posts related to rifles.
aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 12 gauge Double Rifle.

Post by aadhaulya » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:59 pm

What is the difference between a 12 g rifle and shot gun?? Except maybe the rifling in the barrel. It should be able to shoot regular shot gun cartridges I suppose.

Atul

For Advertising mail webmaster
Sukhraj Singh Pannu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sukhraj Singh Pannu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:09 am

aadhaulya wrote:What is the difference between a 12 g rifle and shot gun?? Except maybe the rifling in the barrel. It should be able to shoot regular shot gun cartridges I suppose.

Atul
The double rifle is very heavy built as it has to withstand very heavy recoil as heavy grain ammo is used and some type of special setup is done while setting up the barrels for accuracy(i dont know much about it).

And yes it can shoot regular shotgun cartridges but its of no use as their will be very wide pattern with less range and impact, in smooth bore the wad carries the shots upto the end of the barrel but in rifled barrel wad is punctured very soon. It also destroys the rifling.

Regards.

Added in 6 minutes 21 seconds:
James_Bond wrote:one of my relative had a (308 or 315 may be) Double rifle with hammer . He purchase it from on of the Raja family. Presently he gave it to his son (Session Judge ).
Great heirloom (y)

TwoRivers
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TwoRivers » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:55 am

[quote="Sukhraj Singh Pannu"]
And yes it can shoot regular shotgun cartridges but its of no use as their will be very wide pattern with less range and impact, in smooth bore the wad carries the shots upto the end of the barrel but in rifled barrel wad is punctured very soon. It also destroys the rifling.

Regards.

Not.The pattern will be wide because the rifling spins the shot, with diminished density in the center of the pattern. Velocity and impact are not affected.
Leads shot CANNOT damage rifling, but will cause leading, thus affecting accuracy.

Sukhraj Singh Pannu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sukhraj Singh Pannu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:28 pm

TwoRivers wrote:
Not.The pattern will be wide because the rifling spins the shot, with diminished density in the center of the pattern. Velocity and impact are not affected.
Leads shot CANNOT damage rifling, but will cause leading, thus affecting accuracy.

Yes the rifling spins the shots to a directional tangential to the rotational motion of the shots. I dont know much about velocity and impact :wink: i assumed that it will decrease.

Lead cannot damage the rifling as barrels are made of much harder metal than lead, but any type of built up or scratches adversely affect the rifling.

Regards.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:05 pm

Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Lead cannot damage the rifling as barrels are made of much harder metal than lead, but any type of built up or scratches adversely affect the rifling.

Regards.
As lead does not damage the rifling it cannot probable scratch the rifling. But lead build up can affect accuracy, but only till the build up is cleaned up. And this clean up is required at regular intervals, for normal guns using proper ammo also. That is my understanding and that is what I practice for all my firearms and airguns.

Atul

Sukhraj Singh Pannu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sukhraj Singh Pannu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:38 pm

aadhaulya wrote:
Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Lead cannot damage the rifling as barrels are made of much harder metal than lead, but any type of built up or scratches adversely affect the rifling.

Regards.
As lead does not damage the rifling it cannot probable scratch the rifling. But lead build up can affect accuracy, but only till the build up is cleaned up. And this clean up is required at regular intervals, for normal guns using proper ammo also. That is my understanding and that is what I practice for all my firearms and airguns.

Atul
Right sir but I witnessed these kind of scratches after i fired a shotshell through this rifle but that can be due to age of the weapon.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:12 pm

Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Right sir but I witnessed these kind of scratches after i fired a shotshell through this rifle but that can be due to age of the weapon.

12 g ammo including slug shots are made of lead, at least in India. The rifling is more likely to scratch with a proper cartridge specified for the bore of the weapon. As the rifle bullets are metal jacketed (I think most of them)

Atul

Sukhraj Singh Pannu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sukhraj Singh Pannu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:21 pm

aadhaulya wrote:
Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Right sir but I witnessed these kind of scratches after i fired a shotshell through this rifle but that can be due to age of the weapon.

12 g ammo including slug shots are made of lead, at least in India. The rifling is more likely to scratch with a proper cartridge specified for the bore of the weapon. As the rifle bullets are metal jacketed (I think most of them)

Atul
Yes that lead shots used in IOF ammo did that!

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:16 pm

Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Yes that lead shots used in IOF ammo did that!
I don't think a lead bullet can cause a permanent damage to the rifling, more than a metal jacketed bullet.
But the senior experts would be able to clarify the point better, as I may be wrong.

Atul

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote:
aadhaulya wrote:

Regards.

Atul
Right sir but I witnessed these kind of scratches after i fired a shotshell through this rifle but that can be due to age of the weapon.
just clea your rifle with brass brush.it will be okey.

Sukhraj Singh Pannu
Learning the ropes
Learning the ropes

Post by Sukhraj Singh Pannu » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:54 am

aadhaulya wrote:
Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote: Yes that lead shots used in IOF ammo did that!
I don't think a lead bullet can cause a permanent damage to the rifling, more than a metal jacketed bullet.
But the senior experts would be able to clarify the point better, as I may be wrong.

Atul
Atul ji somebody told me that damage is due to usage of rifled slugs, what do you think about it?
Though I know sabot slugs are made for rifled barrels but they are hard to get here in punjab, what can be the alternative?

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:32 am

Sukhraj Singh Pannu wrote:Atul ji somebody told me that damage is due to usage of rifled slugs, what do you think about it?
Though I know sabot slugs are made for rifled barrels but they are hard to get here in punjab, what can be the alternative?
I use 'Shaktiman rifle slugs and these are rifled slugs, meant to be used in smooth bore shot gun. The purpose of the rifled slug is to give it some spin for accuracy from a smooth bore.
If a lead slug can cause damage to the rifling in the barrel, just imagine what a disaster would the recommended ammo (which would be metal jacketed), cause to the rifling and barrel.

Atul

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:46 pm

I dont think the 'rifling' in a rifled slug imparts any noticeable spin at all. That rifling is there to help the slug squeeze through the chokes, unlike the lead balls of yore
To Excellence through Diligence.

aadhaulya
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aadhaulya » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:15 pm

Safarigent wrote:I dont think the 'rifling' in a rifled slug imparts any noticeable spin at all. That rifling is there to help the slug squeeze through the chokes, unlike the lead balls of yore
I am sure that the rifled slug will not provide adequate spin in a smooth bore barrel. But in my DBBL the slug doesn't have to squeeze out, as it easily slips through the choke barrel. May be some chokes are tighter then the regular choke barrel of an Indian DBBL gun.
I suppose some experts will be able to throw some light on it.
Although, I respect your opinion, being a hunter, a status of being something, a lot of us would like to achieve.

Atul

Safarigent
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Safarigent » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:06 am

Not at all sir, there are much more acclaimed gents here. I am sure someone shall shed more light on the matter.
To Excellence through Diligence.