AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Posts related to rifles.
Sakobav
Old Timer
Old Timer

Re: AR-15; the progeny of genius.

Post by Sakobav » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:48 am

Great info on history and this gunsmith and designer. Like TC acquaintance my uncle came close to importing the 22 rifle..

For Advertising mail webmaster
ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Hi xl_target,

I like that 'sticky little fingers' - but how come you received triplets, do they come cheaper by the dozen?

Looks like you are really having a ball building this AR from scratch...very nice! Should be ready by Aug huh?! :D

CK,
When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:11 pm

ckkalyan wrote:Hi xl_target,

I like that 'sticky little fingers' - but how come you received triplets, do they come cheaper by the dozen?

Looks like you are really having a ball building this AR from scratch...very nice! Should be ready by Aug huh?! :D
CK,
Fertility Drugs? :)

Three receivers will allow you to build three guns. Remember, that the lower receiver on an AR-15 is considered the gun and requires a background check. All other parts like the upper receiver, barrel, bolt carrier and bolt, etc are just considered parts and do not require any background checks. They can be bought anywhere, anytime, including mail order, and sent to your home address. AR's can be put together in an almost infinite number of ways. You can build one strictly for close-in work in tightly confined areas, one for long distance shooting, etc. There are some specialty barrels available that can cost as much as what I paid for the whole gun!

All the other parts are paid for now, so it's just a matter of them coming in as they become available.
I already have ammo and magazines and yes, I'm sure the gun will be completed and fully operational in time for your visit .
Start exercising that trigger finger; one, two, bend, curl...... :)
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Hello Guy's

Last year In Dec. (2013), I start making a plans, what I am going to do in year 2014. List is very long but, building a new toy for my self is one of them.

Last month I start working on this project and had a long chat with my gunsmith about this project. Also I had long chat with XL about this and he informs me that he is also working on this toy and already order receiver for his new toy.

I explain myself to XL, how I like to build my AR. So last week I place my order for receiver, stock, grip, match trigger also some Accessories.

This is my first step to complete custom AR Lower receiver. I will try to post step by step, how I complete this toy through the pictures for all of you guys.

I am not far behind XL, I am sure all of you guys going to like this thread as much as we do.

Here is Lower Receiver which I order it, it's DPMS Lower Rceiver.

Guy's this pictures from the internet.I hope in next few weeks I am going to have all the stuff I order. Once I received all of them, I am going to post everything here.

Thank you very much XL for allowing me to post here in your post.

Baljit

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:50 am

Ha Baljit,
At least you picked a good Minnesota Company. CK and I spent some time in their travelling showroom last year.

The New "Black Cat Express"
This 48' mobile, state of the art, climate controlled showroom, houses a wide variety of DPMS rifles, parts and accessories. Customers can personally view, handle and get the true feel of a DPMS rifle while visiting the trailer. The Black Cat Express is staffed by our highly knowledgeable, experienced and helpful staff that will be able to assist you with any questions or concerns that you may have. Along with the rifles, the Black Cat Express will also display parts and accessories that DPMS proudly sells.
Look for the Black Cat Express prowling into a town near you!
image and info from HERE

I'll try and dig up the photos we took inside of it last August.
CK was fondling DPMS guns like a kindergartner grabbing free candy. I tell you, the drool was practically dribbling out one side of his mouth. He kept making slurping noises, trying to keep it in. :)

Ok, I'm kidding but we did enjoy walking through that trailer. It was floor to ceiling guns, all 48 feet of it; all the different models offered by DPMS.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never – in nothing, great or small, large or petty – never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense” — Winston Churchill, Oct 29, 1941

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:04 am

XL, Lot's of guy's have DPMS here in BC and they are very happy with it,No body have any bad feedback for this. This is the main reasons I pick DPMS lower receiver.
Can't wait to put my hands on this so I can start putting together.
We all know about CK, how he doing. :lol:

Baljit

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:55 pm

Baljit wrote:XL, Lot's of guy's have DPMS here in BC and they are very happy with it,No body have any bad feedback for this. This is the main reasons I pick DPMS lower receiver.
Can't wait to put my hands on this so I can start putting together.
We all know about CK, how he doing. :lol:
Baljit
You know me Baljit Unlucky in love, Lucky in Guns (to fondle) LOL! ROTFL

BTW - is there anything I can carry back to Canada (safely, legally) for your project, from MN on my trip in Aug? I would be pleased to do it for you.

ckkalyan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ckkalyan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:05 pm

xl_target wrote:Ha Baljit,
At least you picked a good Minnesota Company. CK and I spent some time in their travelling showroom last year.

I'll try and dig up the photos we took inside of it last August.

CK was fondling DPMS guns like a kindergartner grabbing free candy. I tell you, the drool was practically dribbling out one side of his mouth. He kept making slurping noises, trying to keep it in. :)

Ok, I'm kidding but we did enjoy walking through that trailer. It was floor to ceiling guns, all 48 feet of it; all the different models offered by DPMS.
Thanks xl_target - we sure did have a great time in that huge trailer; I was acting like one of Ali Baba's 40's gang; it is a good thing DPMS had the forethought to have everything securely bolted down to the showroom! :lol:

Their logo reminded me of the Panther Club in Amritsar (army officers club) where I spent many a mischievous hour in my childhood. I think it has now evolved into a serious golf course!?

:cheers:

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:14 pm

Baljit

BTW - is there anything I can carry back to Canada (safely, legally) for your project, from MN on my trip in Aug? I would be pleased to do it for you.

CK, thanks for asking, I think my project going to be done by end of May or some time in June.

Baljit

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:08 am

Hi baljit paji and xl
i have heard of some space between gas piston and extrating lever or cocking lever.its said that when you have this system you dont get a hot bolt so no more maulfutionig due to hot bolt carreir kindly shed some light on it .

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:10 am

ashokgodara,
Piston systems do indeed run cleaner than Direct Impingement(DI) systems. However, please keep in mind that the US and some NATO Armed Forces have been running DI systems in the M16 since the Vietnam era. The M16 was adopted as the official rifle of the US Armed Forces in 1969 so it will be completing 45 years of service this year. They have been proven in all kinds of terrain; from subtropical jungles to desert and mountainous terrain.

Most bolt carrier groups nowadays have their interior chrome lined and the interior of the gas key is also chrome lined. So cleaning is not that big a deal. There are also Nickel Boron coated Bolt carrier groups available now that are very easy to clean. A DI system is much simpler as there is no moving piston. The only thing that really moves while firing are the trigger, hammer and the bolt carrier group (the buffer and buffer spring too). Why add more complexity to the existing mechanism? As far as the bolt getting hot, it's not a problem as you don't physically handle the bolt. Also keep in mind none of us civilians will be shooting full auto for extended periods of time. We simply could not afford the ammo. A hot barrel is more of an issue but you will get that with either system.

While a piston system will keep the Bolt Carrier Group cleaner, it adds mass up front, affecting the balance and there is a greater weight in front of the normal balance point of the rifle, one that is reciprocating back and forth with each shot. How big a deal is that? I don't think it's that much more of a hassle to shoot. Also more moving parts to break in the field? If you have to clean the piston system, there is a little more disassembly required. You would most likely have to take the handguard off which can be a hassle depending on the type of handguard. A piston system will also add several hundred dollars to the build.

Don't get me wrong, there are perfectly viable piston systems out there.

xl_target
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by xl_target » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:54 am

Baljit,
Here are the photos of the DPMS truck. CK's not in any of them as he took them.

The tractor part of the tractor/trailer combo.

The inside of the trailer with some of the guns on the wall

My friend Chuck pointing to the Made in Minnesota and DPMS logo.
He might be saying:"Hey Baljit, you need one of these".

Kittu
One of Us (Nirvana)
One of Us (Nirvana)

Post by Kittu » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:52 am

great info xl
just curios to know.what you are plannig to install a long stroke piston or short stoke one.it will be too early but i can ask also to buljit paji whats his plan on long stroke or short stoke.kindly shed some lights on advantage ot disadvantage of both systems thanks

timmy
Old Timer
Old Timer

Post by timmy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:20 am

XL: I am very disappointed in the last picture. If it was truly a "good Minnesota company," as you say, shouldn't the sign say: "Made in Minnesota, by golly, Since 1986, ya sure"?

From the theoretical point of view, the rundown you gave of direct impingement's qualities are spot on, and I think that ultimately, it is the way to go. I sometimes wish it could be applied to pistols again (and I do lament the passing of the Automag). A part of that issue is the powder used, and direct impingement definitely favors clean burning varieties.

None the less, I am sure you are right: Chuck is indeed indicating that there is one on that trailer with Baljit's name on it!
“There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know”

Harry S. Truman

Baljit
Shooting true
Shooting true

Post by Baljit » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:28 am

Wow!! thanks for the pictures XL, now I fell sorry and kick my self " why I am not there".So I can enjoy that. dammmmm. :deadhorse:

Ashok, I am going to build tactical AR for 3 gun shoot with my own plan.

I think it's way to early to expose my plan.There is some custom work involved in my project ,but stick around you going to be surprise. :)

Baljit